Viagra prescription drug I bought this book as part of a Sesame Street series for my first daughter back in the early ’80s and now I find it on a “review of antique books” site! Good grief! If this is an antique then I’m a pre-historic relic.
Viagra prescription drug Being a nurse never helped me as a parent. Viagra prescription drug When my first baby ran a temperature of 104.8 I ran to the ER as fast as I could get my old VW bug to fly. Viagra prescription drug When I found my 2-year-old son blue and drooling on the side of my bed after a febrile seizure, viagra prescription drug we went 911 all the way. Viagra prescription drug Of course by the time I had #3, viagra prescription drug I was an ER nurse and an experienced parent. Viagra prescription drug She never even saw the inside of an ER until she was 14 and that was only because she was having an allergic reaction.
Viagra prescription drug I know what it is like to be absolutely terrified because your child is sick.
Viagra prescription drug In the ED, viagra prescription drug the child may be ill but you are caring for the parents as well. Viagra prescription drug I find parents fall into three categories:
- The Newbie: a parent who is dealing with a sick child for the first time. Viagra prescription drug They have no clue about what to do for the fever and they are frantic because the child vomited once and has not stopped crying/fussing. Viagra prescription drug They truly feel this is an emergency. Viagra prescription drug They did not call the pediatrician, viagra prescription drug having rushed to the ER after the first emesis. Viagra prescription drug They usually have at least one grandmother with them for support. Viagra prescription drug The child is dressed in a diaper, viagra prescription drug a onesie, viagra prescription drug a second onesie, viagra prescription drug a one piece sleeper with footsies, viagra prescription drug a sweater, viagra prescription drug a jacket with hood and a thick flannel blanket. Viagra prescription drug They are scared to death.
- The Walking Worried: They’ve been through this before, viagra prescription drug only the fever keeps coming back when the Tylenol wears off and the vomiting has been going on “all day”. Viagra prescription drug They called the pediatrician and have an appointment for tomorrow but they are too worried to wait that long. Viagra prescription drug There may be new symptoms with this illness or it may have come on very suddenly. Viagra prescription drug They’ve gone through all the treatments they can do at home (ie nebulizer treatments) but their gut tells them something is not quite right or the child is no better. Viagra prescription drug They aren’t panicky, viagra prescription drug but they are anxious.
- The Veterans: They’ve seen it all. Viagra prescription drug The kids are older, viagra prescription drug or the child is the youngest in the family. Viagra prescription drug They can handle the usual stuff at home, viagra prescription drug so the child will be in with asthma exacerbation, viagra prescription drug an orthopedic injury or a laceration. Viagra prescription drug They’re concerned, viagra prescription drug but not anxious.
Viagra prescription drug So how do we help the parents while we care for the child?
- Acknowledge that the parents are concerned/worried/anxious.
- Begin treatment at triage. Viagra prescription drug If appropriate, viagra prescription drug give the medications for fever allowed by the triage protocol. Viagra prescription drug If the child will need to wait to be seen, viagra prescription drug let the parents know that the fever is being addressed while they are waiting.
- Tell the parents that if they become worried about their child while waiting, viagra prescription drug you (the triage nurse) are available. Viagra prescription drug This will help allieviate some of their anxiety about waiting.
- Reassure the parents that although the patient seemed deathly ill at home but is now playing peek-a-boo with the respiratory therapist and trying to stand on their head on the gurney, viagra prescription drug this is not unusual for children and we do believe their story…
- Discuss the care for the illness as you care for the child. Viagra prescription drug For example, viagra prescription drug talk about the need for minimal clothing in the presence of a fever as you undress the child for a weight. Viagra prescription drug Go over what a clear liquid diet consists of when offering the child Pedialyte.
- Encourage the parents to ask questions if they are concerned about an aspect of care.
- Be sure to reinforce aspects of care that the parents did right. Viagra prescription drug This is especially important for new parents who may not be confident in their ability to care for a sick child.
- If the parents are very anxious, viagra prescription drug they may not retain a lot of what is discussed. Viagra prescription drug Let the parents know that everything will be written in the discharge instructions given at the end of the visit.
- Discuss options for care of future illnesses at discharge. Viagra prescription drug The parents may not realize that there is a doctor on call for their pediatrician 24 hours a day and they are able to give out telephone advice. Viagra prescription drug They may utilize an advice line after hours. Viagra prescription drug During office hours, viagra prescription drug their pediatrician may be able to fit them in to a same-day appointment. Viagra prescription drug It is important that the parents are not made to feel that bringing their child to the emergency department was wrong.
Viagra prescription drug In the beginning of my career in ED nursing, viagra prescription drug pediatric patients were not my strong suit. Viagra prescription drug Adult intensive care skills did not transfer over to caring for children. Viagra prescription drug I took a PALS class and told my co-workers I wanted every pediatric patient that came through the door for two months. Viagra prescription drug I became comfortable with pediatric assessments and treatments. Viagra prescription drug Now, viagra prescription drug after 16 years of ED experience I don’t think twice when my patient is a child. Viagra prescription drug I learned early on that when you care for a child, viagra prescription drug you are caring for a family and that the needs of both the child and the parents must be addressed for a successful outcome.