February 23, 2006, 4:25 pm

Props To Providence Portland Medical Center

This should be interesting.

I am typing on an old Windows desktop computer and I am a die-hard Mac person.

No offense, but yuck!

The picture to the right is of Providence Portland Medical Center in Portland, Oregon. One of the top 100 hospitals in the United States.

Now I know why.

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I am proud to announce that my daughter has given birth to two NON-CANCEROUS ovarian dermoid cysts. I told her that she had a lot of folks she didn’t know praying for her; she gave me permission to give this update and to give her thanks to all of you who gave us “virtual” support.

Pathology reports are pending, but everything looked okay per her surgeon, and the tumor marker was within normal limits.

It’s hard to know where “nurse” ends and “mom” starts. For instance, her doctor gave a fantastic “inservice” on ovarian dermoid cysts after the surgery was over, which I found fascinating. No cancer involved. We shook hands and I walked into the elevator.

And burst into tears of relief.

I knew I was worried, guess I was more scared than I wanted to admit.

I have named the cysts Barry and Bridget.

I have asked my daughter to make sure that any future grandchildren be made of more than hair, calcium deposits and nerve endings.

She has said she will try to comply.

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Due to some nausea issues and an unexpected allergic reaction, we stayed the night. I was able to stay in her room with her.

This was the Taj Majal of hospitals.

• A huge, sprawling facility that color-codes their elevators to make getting around easier.
  • A “food court” open until 0330. With Diet Pepsi!
  • An “IV” team that inspects all IVs in house every 24 hours for inflammation or infiltration and restarts prn
  • A day ratio on the med/surg floor of one RN to a max of 5 patients.
  • The names of your nurse and your CNA on a large board (not unusual, I know) that also included the name of your pain medication and the last time it was given.
  • The nursing care was impeccable.
    • Pain was addressed repeatedly and handled immediately in both Short Stay and on the med/surg floor.
    • Call bells answered within seconds.

Needless to say, I was impressed with the overall service, but the nurses were the best. They looked professional, they were compassionate, I can’t believe the speed with which everything was handled. This is how nursing should be.

If I ever move to the Portland area, this is where I’d be working.

So here is my official online “thank you” to the nurses and staff of the Short Stay surgery unit and the 3G med/surg floor of Providence Portland Medical Center. You guys rock!

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Speaking of rock, we made it to the room just in time to catch the last 45 minutes of “American Idol” and while my daughter slept the sleep of the narcotized, I voted my fingers raw for both Ace and the grey-haired guy. Thank god for cell phones.

And a pox on the house of the stupid network executive who decided to run the women’s figure skating competition against “American Idol”. Idiot.

Oh, and I also kept a strict tally of my daughter’s I&Os.

Hey, I’m a nurse. I’ve got to do something.

geena

February 23, 2006 at 7:03 pm

Whew, what a relief! Glad everything turned out okay!

Moof

February 23, 2006 at 8:13 pm

Kim … I’m so relieved for both your sakes. That can be pretty frightening, all the way around.

I hope they’re going to keep an eye on her from now on, eh?

When are you heading back for the Frisco area?

Keep us up on the saga! We’re all ears … or eyeballs … 😉

difficult patient

February 23, 2006 at 8:34 pm

Yay–I’m glad she is okay! Thanks for the update . . .

Karen

February 23, 2006 at 9:04 pm

Hurrah! So glad to hear the good news – and I love that you named the cysts. 🙂

cafius

February 23, 2006 at 9:16 pm

awesome news!!!
    Praise God! 😀

Barry and Bridget.. preemies huh? lol 🙂 great sense of humor 😉

regards to your whole family!

PaedsRN

February 23, 2006 at 10:03 pm

“I have named the cysts Barry and Bridget.”

Not Siskel and Ebert? I give Providence Portland Medical Centre two thumbs up!

shadowfax

February 23, 2006 at 10:28 pm

My mother in law is a cancer counselor at this facility and I also work in the Prov system (another region), so I am pleased to hear that your experience was so good — and that you won’t be needing my mother in law’s services! Congratulations, of a sort.

Jodi

February 23, 2006 at 11:27 pm

Yay!
    So glad everything turned out OK!

1. I Love the idea of an IV team, what great way to focus. I may have to put that in my hospital suggestion box.

2. If I’m ever in Portland and get sick, I hope I go there.

3. Ace and Taylor are my favs too….and Chris…..and Will but only because he’s a Texan. This Lame-O voted for all 4.

mary

February 24, 2006 at 4:06 am

What good news! Barry and Bridget-the siblings who are cysters but not sisters. Cute!

😉

mary

John Cowart

February 24, 2006 at 6:35 am

Glad that your daughter landed on her feet!

Mama Mia

February 24, 2006 at 6:51 am

Thanks for sharing your good news! It is very hard to be on the other side of the bed, but it sounds like you and your daughter handled it well.

punchberry

February 24, 2006 at 7:50 am

I am glad everything is okay!

Jenn

February 24, 2006 at 8:37 am

Glad everything is ok.

And those ratios! I’m impressed.

Julie

February 24, 2006 at 10:37 am

Great news, best wishes to your daughter for a speedy recovery. Hope you get back to your Mac soon!

Anna

February 24, 2006 at 2:12 pm

Sounds like I need to apply for a job there!
    Glad your daughter is doing better.

may

February 24, 2006 at 5:27 pm

warm thoughts were with you…so, just like everybody else, i am glad to hear everything is okay…

kenju

February 24, 2006 at 8:59 pm

I am so relieved to know it was non-malignant! Blessings to you and your daughter.

A pox on the idiots who ran 1. the Olympic skating, 2. American Idol, 3. Survivor, 4. Dancing with the Stars all at once!! My remote was smoking after a while!

Colin

February 26, 2006 at 5:58 pm

Kim, I’m glad everything worked out well. I go to Prov. Hospital too, and had a good experience the only time I was admitted too. Especially the short stay surg folks — great group!

Providence has had some serious ethical issues to deal with lately — one involving careless records policy that allowed 1/3 of a million people’s information to be stolen, and one related to a covert placenta testing program for medical legal defense.

So they’re under a media microscope now, and working hard to earn our trust back. I have a couple of Prov. execs coming to my house tomorrow to talk about my experiences with them.

Next time you come up this way, let me know! Dinner at my restaurant is on me. Or if you’re still here, let me know now, of course. 🙂

Colin

Kim

February 26, 2006 at 7:28 pm

Oh man, Colin, I’m leaving tomorrow morning! Next time I’m up this way I’ll give you an email “buzz”! I would have loved to have met you this trip!

Ruth Sistrunk

March 7, 2006 at 7:39 pm

This is my first contact with your comments, etc. You give the rest of us nurses a good name!! Keep up the good work and add me to whatever lists you have! I’m glad all is well with your daughter. I am a school nurse in NC and teach prn in the local college of nursing in summer. Ruth S.

sherry

June 27, 2006 at 3:06 pm

I’m so glad that your daughter is doing better.We at Providence Portland always consider you the patient and the famialy and friends of the parient with you all in mind when we do anything to you.If she had cancer and thank God she didn’t she would of gone to the Oncology floor if there was enough room.We have the first state of the art treatment in the contry for cancer and more than a high percentige of patients go home with lots of hope.well i wish you hope and happiness in your next adventure of life.sherry(cna)oncology