February 20, 2006, 5:11 pm

Trying To Be A Nurse, But Really I’m Just A Mom

Oh no!

It’s menopause!

She’s gonna blow any minute!

The father looks ready to grab the kid and run at the first sign of a hot flash!

And he thought her PMS was bad!

She probably has just read “The Feminine Mystique” by Betty Freidan and she wants to escape the confines of her middle-class prison and decide to “find” herself.

She’ll refuse to make dinner.

She’ll make her husband iron his own shirts!

My god, she might even enroll in a college class.

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Actually, I really am a bundle of nerves right now.

My eldest daughter is having surgery and I’ll be on a flight to Portland to spend a week with her while she recouperates.

Now, I am usually strong in these situations, but I made the mistake of reading too much on the internet (you really can have too much information) and this is not a good thing.

A previous appendectomy found a “carcinoid tumor”. The doctor said it was a “miracle” that she had her appendix out when she did, because that would have turned into a slow-growing cancer that would have affected her intestines and liver.

Whew! Bullet dodged.

That time. I’ve only heard a doctor use the word “miracle” twice in my presence. I’ll tell you about the other time in another post.

Without divulging too much information without her permission, let’s just say that part of the blood work that was done today was a tumor marker for cancer.

I’m trying to be “A NURSE”, but today I’m just “a mom” who is very scared.

The next time a family member goes into surgery I will wish to be totally ignorant.

Jodi

February 20, 2006 at 5:54 pm

Your Daughter and you are in my prayers. I hope the marker is negative.
    Hang in there, I know having a stepdad who’s ailing and a sister with a problem pregnancy…knowing too much is scary.
    God speed.

kimberly

February 20, 2006 at 6:15 pm

Going through a similar thing right now in my life (although I do not blog about this myself…not yet anywway.) I keep my blog directly (most times) on student nursey stuff. It hits too close to home when its you family. I wish you and your family peace during this trying time.

Kimberly at Rnforyourlife.blogspot.com

moof

February 20, 2006 at 6:21 pm

Kim … I’m thinking of you and your daughter. Knowing “too much” is definitely not a good thing when someone you love is on the receiving end … especially one of our children.

Please keep us informed … I’ll put you both on some prayer lines …

kenju

February 20, 2006 at 6:54 pm

Kim, I will pray for the best result with the surgery. Sorry you and she have to go through this; I know how scared you must be. Take care of yourself too, and let us know how it all turns out.

Mama Mia

February 20, 2006 at 7:17 pm

My thoughts are with you both, Kim.

Kim

February 20, 2006 at 7:28 pm

Thanks to all of you for the support.
    It is greatly appreciated.
    Of course, to my daughter, I shall be the “rock” she can lean on. Me, I think I’ll lean on Jesus – he has a pretty wide shoulder!

Susan

February 20, 2006 at 7:36 pm

I’ll be praying for you and your daughter and the people who are taking care of her. Hang in there, buddy!

difficult patient

February 20, 2006 at 8:35 pm

My prayers are with you as well!!!

naughtymom

February 21, 2006 at 2:05 am

Hope everything turns out for the better. It is hard when yourself or your family is on the other end of the stethescope. I’ll send out a prayer for you and your family.

btw…I really enjoy your blog and look forward to reading them daily. Take care

cafius

February 21, 2006 at 4:12 am

You and your family are in my prayers Kim! 🙂

“Do not let your hearts be troubled. You have faith in God; have faith also in me.”
    -JOHN 14:1

Bob

February 21, 2006 at 8:52 am

I knew a young doctor (Air Force captain) whose wife got pregnant. He remarked that it was really scary knowing all the stuff that could go wrong. Even with that, though, maybe a good saying might be “Ignorance is bliss, but knowledge is power”? Unfortunately it’s also scary.

Karen

February 21, 2006 at 3:29 pm

Warm thoughts toward you and your daughter; hope all goes well!

unsinkablemb

February 21, 2006 at 8:03 pm

Kim – my thoughts and prayers are with your daughter, you, and your family.

~marj

Third Degree Nurse

February 22, 2006 at 3:20 am

Kim,
    Hang in there and keep hanging when you feel that you can’t hang anymore. It’s scary, but just take it one little piece at a time. I’ll keep you and your daughter in my prayers.

Early detection is a wonderful thing.

punchberry

February 22, 2006 at 2:16 pm

You and your daughter will be in my thoughts. I hope everything goes well! Your blog posts often demonstrate how compassionate you are to strangers, so I am sure that you are a great comfort and resource to family members as well.