March 23, 2006, 4:13 pm

Tangential Thoughts on a Thursday

Another Great Moment In Medicine:

All the nurses go to their rooms and every resident in the world gets a good night’s sleep!

Sorry, nursing colleagues.

I couldn’t resist.

It was my first thought when I saw the photo!

This is actually a Parke Davis ad, one of a series.

It’s a medieval hospital.

Doesn’t it seem like a lot of wasted space in the center there? How did they heat the thing?

The nurse up front looks like someone just told her she had to do mandatory overtime.

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

There are some new links in town! Check out an new blog by ER physician Charity Doc , or soon-to-be Student Nurse Jack and Misadventurous Melissa who is a nurse colleague in southern CA. I’ve also discovered Krista at Picklecakes , also a nurse and not afraid to tell it like it is. I’ve also added to my patient blog roll call recently with Patricia at The Multiple Sclerosis Companion.

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I sure would love to hear the whole story about why Rich at Geek Nurse had to shut down his blog.

I was sorry to see that.

I have not worked in an ICU since 1989 and I was learning a lot from him, especially since I’ve never worked a Pedi ICU.

ddd

I love the job I have now and I wonder what I would do if given the ultimatum to shut down Emergiblog.

I know!

I’d quit and put up an online tip jar!

I could get free care in the ER!

I’d have to find a place for the homeless with wireless internet connection, a place to charge up my iPod, my cell phone, my coffee pot and have access to American Idol, BBC America and the Cartoon Network, but hey! All in the name of free speech!

In all seriousness, we miss you, Rich. Let us know “where” you are. You can’t keep a good nurse down. Especially in the blogosphere.

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Now that life has settled back into it’s normal routine after family health issues and lots of extra shifts, it sure is nice to catch up on all the posts I missed. I’m only a third of the way through my list of blogs (see sidebar). At least with my “live bookmark” feature on Firefox I can see who has new posts and who doesn’t.

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I’ve decided to give Blogger one more chance.

I’ve checked out Typepad and I actually “own” the “www.emergiblog.com” domain name over at enom.com, I just haven’t had the time to actually sit down and work with it.

I’m kind of attached to this format and changing designs is like getting a plastic surgery make-over. It would still be me but it wouldn’t “look” like me.

But one more major breakdown that affects this blog and I will become so good at html my new site will look like the Taj Mahal.

Blogger may be free, but so is half the care I give in the ER. I still have to do my best.

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

For one shining moment, I was a Large Mammal over at the ttlb ecosystem. Now I am a Maurauding Marsupial again. Sigh. How can that be when my Techorati score is up?

Yes, I pay attention to little things like ttlb and Site Meter.

Oh well. At least having a marsupial pouch is handy for my trauma scissors….

• Nurse2B

March 23, 2006 at 6:19 pm

Marsupials are cool. I am a slithering something-or-other or an insect or whatever. I am a bit of a stats addict myself, I love looking at all the interesting places people come from. I agree with you, the loss of geek nurse is a huge bummer. Thanks for the links to the new folks!

• Jodi

March 24, 2006 at 12:58 am

Aw, you moved my link already! Don’t Jinx me now….knocking on my sinthetic particle board type wood now.

I’m disapointed about Geek Nurse too 🙁 HIPAA is now aggrevating the blogosphere too.

Don’t feel bad about being a Marsupial…I can’t seem to evolve past “Wiggly Worm”, at least you have vertebrae. lol

• Dr. Deborah Serani

March 24, 2006 at 10:21 am

How DID they heat the place?

🙂
    Deb

• Melissa

March 24, 2006 at 5:59 pm

Thank you for the link. What a nice surprise. 🙂

• sean

March 24, 2006 at 10:11 pm

I love switching blog sites. I’ve used almost every service at one time or another *sigh*

They all have their problems.

Now I’m using iBlog and have my own site. I’m enjoying it immensly!

Anyway, loved the post!

• Abel PharmBoy

March 26, 2006 at 5:00 am

Kim, I always love your old-timey ads but the picture from this book seems to have a tie-in to my discipline as one of two books commissioned by then-Parke-Davis to chronicle the history of medicine, in your case, and pharmacy, in my case. In fact, I used a page from ‘Great Moments in Pharmacy’ to select the cryptic name I use for my blog.

I, too, worry about what happened with Geek Nurse but I do recall the statement around Grand Rounds that it’s very easy to figure out which PICU nurse in New Zealand this was coming from. Very, very sad to me but institutions really need to have clear rules for health science bloggers who treat patients if they are going to squelch us willy-nilly.

Everyone on your blogroll is incredibly responsible and cognizant of the moral and legal need to protect pt confidentiality. I’d love to know if big nursing, med, and pharmacy schools or affiliated institutions provide any guidance to practitioners who blog. Most of us use these things as journals anyway, mostly to decompress and commisserate. Surely there is a happy medium the respects the patient and institution, as well as the need for those of you at the front line to share and vent (I’m only a lab dude, but I work with lots of docs and nurses).

• meloukhia

March 26, 2006 at 7:21 pm

On an immensely unrelated note, you can configure blogger to post to your very own domain name in the “Publishing” tab under settings.

Just thought you might like to know.

I am also rather concerned at the growing level of blogs written by folks in the health industry that are going offline or being severely modified. For one thing, it severely impairs my internet entertainment.