May 19, 2006, 5:24 pm

Whadda Cheap Date!

chry67simcanurse[1].jpg

Since when did nurses become “tough customers”?

Trust me.

You try to sell me that hideous vehicle and I’ll be a tough customer, alright.

But it won’t have anything to do with my being a nurse.

Nurses obviously held a much higher status back in the 1960s than they do today.

The nursing image sold everything from cars to clothes soap!

These days you might see a nursing image selling sex, but let’s not go there.

That really is an ugly car!

I mean, how many nurses do you see driving Simcas today?

I rest my case.

****************************************

Betty Boop

I know you all may be shocked to know that I was once considered a cheap date.

While I was married!

And it all started with a burst of Nitrospray.

********************

?

It wasn’t my fault.

My elderly patient was having chest pain.

My elderly patient was deaf.

My elderly patient needed Nitrospray.

To encourage my patient to open his mouth, I leaned over to speak slightly louder into one of his ears.

I pressed the plunger.

I think the patient got more of the dose than I did, but I can’t be sure.

********************

What I can be sure of is that nitroglycerin really does work fast.

I had time to walk out of the room before it hit.

Lightheaded, tachycardic with palpations, somewhere in that twilight zone that lies between the hint of sweat and profuse diaphoresis.

I was gonna go sycopal on their heinies!

Luckily our “trauma” room was empty and I threw myself onto the gurney.

Within ten to fifteen minutes I felt normal enough to get up.

Now what was more embarrassing?  Having the reaction to nitro or the fact that no one realized I was flat on my back on a trauma gurney for fifteen minutes and didn’t even miss me!

It’s a toss-up.

********************

I made the fatal mistake of mentioning this episode to a couple of the medics.

Ladies and gentlemen, don’t ever tell an embarrassing story to paramedics.

They will torture you for years.

They will pull out Nitrospray and flash it in front of your face.

They will threaten you with Nitrospray if you do not allow them to partake of your potluck.

They are ruthless.

And worst of all, they said that if all it took to knock me out was Nitrospray, well then I must be fun on a date.

And that is how I got the sobriquet of “cheap date” when all I did was nearly faint.

********************

But I am not a cheap date.?

I can be had for one Venti Caramel Frappuchino with an add-shot and heavy on the whipped cream. That’s at least four bucks!

And my husband has taken adavantage of that weakness on numerous occasions.

Because I’m worth it.

• TC
    TC

May 19, 2006 at 5:30 pm

Awww, come on! That’s a cute car! But I don’t think it’ll fit 5 nurses, not even skinny ones like those. And I agree about the medics-they will carry on about it and generally embarass the hell out of you. We used to put lotion on nitro paste paper and slap it on people for laughs. But you have to run fast.

Moof

May 20, 2006 at 9:55 am

*LOL* Kim! That must have been awful!

By the way: you think that only medics will tease you about Nitrospray? >;o)

Ged

May 20, 2006 at 8:16 pm

The caramel machiato was my weakness for awhile, since there was a Starbucks in the lobby at our hospital then. Should be a law against it. Double shot. Then I figured out the coffee underneath all that sugar and milk fat tasted awful, and stopped buying ’em 😉

kenju

May 21, 2006 at 2:57 pm

Hmmmm, if Nitrospray will get you 15 minutes on a gurney, I’m surprised more people don’t do it for the rest and relaxation! LOL

Margaret

May 22, 2006 at 9:01 am

My parents used to have one of those Simcas in the early 70’s. I think the bottom rusted out in about two years. Still, seeing that picture caused a short walk down memory lane. Hee, hee…..

Sharon

May 22, 2006 at 10:35 am

Hi – I love your blog… Cherry Ames was my heroine for a long time…. I cannot believe I let my mother GIVE away my entire set (oh, yeah- I gave them away… no eBay then…) and I am completely jealous of your seemingly unending collection of old ads such as these. The writing is what brings me back… but the pics got my attention the first time I was here and I do love them. Thanks for blogging!

Monika

May 23, 2006 at 2:50 pm

Ha! You should at least demand a Rice Crispie Treat to go with that!

Medical Uniforms and Nursing Scrubs
Nursing Scrubs
Nursing Scrubs
From $8.95
Shop our uniform selection from Print Medical Scrubs to NFL Scrubs and more at ScrubsGallery.com