June 21, 2006, 11:00 pm

Change of Shift: Volume One, Number One

logo

Welcome to the first edition of what I hope will become a tradition akin to the wonderful “Grand Rounds”.

Welcome to :”Change of Shift: A Nursing Blog Carnival”

My goal was to find new nurses and nursing blogs and urge them to contribute to the medical/nursing/patient blogosphere. I hope to include submissions on the topic of nursing from doctors and patients in future editions.

I believe you can judge the sucess of this endeavor in the following submissions.

My links have certainly expanded accordingly!

Enjoy!

Rosebuttons presents a poignant ICU vignette in When They Open Their Eyes, They Break My Heart posted at Knitting in the Dark.

And as a special guest, we have Cherry Ames, herself wondering When Does the Nursing Start?

Our favorite Nurse Practioner student sends in a post that’s all about collaboration and respect in The Use of NPs and PAs in Hospitals. I have worked with both and find them a wonderful addition to the care of patients. I know my ER runs very smoothly with ours!

MamaDoc represents the medical profession this round as she reminisces about her experiences with nurses as a student in Memory Lane, posted at Fat Doctor . My favorite memories of my brief stint at a teaching hospital are about working with the interns.

Alec presents Today Is Where My Book Begins. Non-traditional and totally cool, not only has Alec grasped all the excitement and the unknown future of the graduate nurse, he has given me a reason to go check out iTunes for a great song. See which one at Cowman’s Corner of the Web. Congratulations, Alec!

Hannah at Milliner’s Dream discusses what constitutes a loss, and it’s more than you can imagine. She submits If I Should Die Before I Wake.

Katy, an oncology RN and one of my new nurse links at kt living discusses taking care of her patient before she even realizes a second one is developing at Full Moon Mania.

Remember what it was like when you first received notice that you had been accepted to nursing school? Well, it just happened to Nicole at Nicole, Student Nurse. Check out OMG! and join me in congratulating her on her accomplishment.

Ever wonder what it is like to work as an outpatient dialysis nurse? I have. Janet at Chocolate and Raspberries vividly describes these duties in her post Hustle and Flow.

oncRN presents e. posted at oncRN. There is nothing I can add that would make this post any more powerful.

Nursing student Marisa has an exciting experience in the OR in CABG! at Nursing Student Hell. Great story.Great title for a blog!

Anonanurse presents Give yourself a hug and push with your heels. posted at Messadventures Galore. And get ready to laugh at the hilarious post: Your Boyfriend is Hot.

Erica presents a touching post about a horrible tragedy at Blissful Entropy: Low-tech healing, followed by another heart wrenching look at the loss of a child at Blissful Entropy: At a loss. She then writes a “keepin’ it real” post on exactly why she sees the cost of healthcare rising at Blissful Entropy: A little whine. . . And if you haven’t figured it out yet, all these are posted at Blissful Entropy (And I do believe that is the record for the number of links in one submission!)

Join me in welcoming a new RN to the blogosphere as she introduces herself at RuralED.

PixelRN presents a profound dilemma in Round One: It’s a Tough Business posted at PixelRN. Kudos to MICU nurses everywhere. I don’t think that’s something I could handle today.

Jodi at Coffee and Conversation pulls from her archives to describe the difficult position of being a nurse and a daughter at the same time, as she watches her mother deal with a terminal illness at Inevitable.

I never tire of hearing how someone was led, or called into nursing. Each story is different and demonstrates how we all bring something unique to the profession. Pam over at Pammiecakes descibes her voyage into the nursing waters in Why I Want To Be A Nurse (In Third Person).

As I posted Jodi’s submission, I started thinking about my early blog days, meaning last August, when I started this whole idea of writing my thoughts down for posterity. And so in keep with my obsession with my nursing cap, I present one of my very first posts, entitled Cap-tivated!

Thanks to all who contributed to our very first Change of Shift. I hope you enjoy reading as much as I enjoyed all the submissions.

A link back to Change of Shift would be appreciated as it will help spread the word amongst the medical blogosphere that there is a nursing carnival that welcomes all submissions.

Doctors, patients, family members of patients – your experiences with nurses, both postitive or otherwise are always welcome as are your opinions, rants, poems or however else you choose to express yourself!

The next Change of Shift will be posted on July 13, 2006, with a submission deadline of July 12, 2006 at 1700 PDT. Until we get a routine established, I’ll continue to host.

Submit your blog article to the next edition of Change of Shift using the carnival submission form at Blog Carnival. Past posts can be found on their blog carnival index page, in addition to the Emergiblog Change of Shift Page. Eventually, you will also be able to submit via The Medical Blog Network. I hope to set that up soon.

Of course, you can always email me your submission directly.

And please, don’t forget to contribute to “Grand Rounds”. Keep the nursing voice a prominent part of our preeminent compilation of all that is good in the medical blogosphere.

OneKewlRN

June 22, 2006 at 1:31 am

Long time reader, first time commenter.
    I am a Neuro ICU nurse at a ‘big teaching hospital’ in the bay area. I LOVED reading all the entries in the inagural Change of Shift! Some brought tears to my eyes and some reminded me of why I chose (more approprietly..was called) to be an RN.

Thank you for giving nurses/nursing students/patients a forum to share such wonderful stories!

I look forward to the next edition!!

MSSPNexus Blog

June 22, 2006 at 5:25 am

Change of Shift 1.1 – The call of nursing

Kim, our intrepid Emergency Department nurse blogger, has started a new bi-weekly blog carnival called Change of Shift. It features posts about nurses and nursing. Kim is an equal opportunity host, bloggers don’t have to be nurses (or wear white

Linda

June 22, 2006 at 7:04 am

Kim!
    Great job on the first first “Change of Shift”. So many fun new blogs to read! I hope I can contribute in the future (but I guess i’d actually have to START a blog).

Moof

June 22, 2006 at 7:27 am

Wow Kim! Great job! :o )

may

June 22, 2006 at 7:47 am

congratulations on a job defintely well done!

Nick

June 22, 2006 at 8:04 am

Looks like Change of Shift is off to a great start! It was great to see so many new blogs. Keep up the good work!

Hannah

June 22, 2006 at 8:52 am

SO COOL! Thanks…perhaps this could submitted to GR to highlight and promote it!

Hh

Mama Mia

June 22, 2006 at 9:06 am

Awesome. Simply Awesome. Thank you Kim!

Cherry Ames

June 22, 2006 at 9:14 am

Wow! I am completely honoured to be part of this compilation! Thank you so much and awesome job Kim!

Keith Carlson

June 22, 2006 at 12:34 pm

Congratulations, Kim! I will be sure to contribute regularly and can be counted on to host from time to time. Thanks for your continued advocacy for nurses off-line and on-line!

missbhavens

June 22, 2006 at 2:21 pm

Goody! I can’t WAIT to read everything new on this list! Alas, I have to rush offf to work…

Gimpy Mumpy

June 22, 2006 at 4:00 pm

Huzzah! Congratulations Kim, a wonderful first edition of Change of Shift.

Jodi

June 22, 2006 at 6:29 pm

Oooh, I have so much reading to do. After the NCLEX, After the NCLEX, After the NCLEX…….
    Great Job Kim!

Teresa

June 22, 2006 at 7:59 pm

Great Job, Kim. I hope to contribute next time

Karen

June 23, 2006 at 9:45 am

Fantastic job! What a wonderful collection of nursing writings. Thanks so much for doing this.

• kt
    kt

June 23, 2006 at 11:05 am

this is so great..you have done an awesome job kim!

NPs Save Lives

June 23, 2006 at 11:48 am

Great job Kim! Can’t wait until the next Change of Shift!

Hannah

June 23, 2006 at 5:33 pm

I’ve told a few nurse bloggers in their comments about Change of Shift!

If it weren’t difficult for you to get permission to use their posts, I wish we could nominate posts we come across as we get nurses and other bloggers aware of COS.

It sure was a great success for the first time though, right off the bat.

Hh

Beth

June 24, 2006 at 9:47 pm

I am a nurse. I don’t talk about nursing on my blog all the time. I’m on the renal/transplant floor, and RN.

You Know You Wanna » Change of Shift

June 26, 2006 at 10:53 am

[...] I spent a few days with my family in Houston last week, and so I missed the first edition of Change of Shift.  This is a new nursing blog carnival and looks to be a great way for nurses around the world to share stories.  By encouraging submission from medical, nursing and patient viewpoints, Change of Shift really succeeds in presenting a varied and lively perspective on nursing! [...]

Change of Shift » PixelRN

November 10, 2006 at 8:14 am

[...] Change of Shift is the new nursing blog carnival started by Kim over at Emergiblog. [...]

Sean

November 13, 2006 at 5:57 am

Hi Kim,

This is a great article. I am new to your blog and i like what I see. I look forward to your future work.

simplekaywa - Blogs von Pflegeprofis 3

November 13, 2006 at 1:17 pm

[...] Change of Shift: A Nursing Blog Carnival [...]

CHANGE OF SHIFT « AIRWAY CONTROL

July 31, 2007 at 2:52 pm

[...] visit Emergiblog for the inaugural edition of Change of Shift, where you can find the best of the best in the nursing blogosphere. I’m only sad to say that [...]

nursing scrubs
Petite Scrubs
Petite Scrubs
Scrubs that fit!
Nursing Scrubs
and the rest of your medical uniforms you need from Scrubs Gallery.