July 12, 2006, 7:31 pm

Change of Shift: Volume One, Number Two

logo

Welcome to the second edition of “Change of Shift”, a nursing homage, if you will, to the great tradition of Grand Rounds. An amazing array of wonderful stories from nurses, patients and doctors are here for your perusal this week. Enjoy!

What exactly constitutes a “nurse”? Mary presents a beautiful description of exactly what nursing is in her post, Nurses in Nontraditional Roles posted at The Mote in the Light.

Cassie exercises the epitome of self control in The Back Lady posted at Mommy RN.

When you have to prioritize, when you don’t have a choice…check out New Orleans L&D Staffing from the Navelgazing Midwife.

Mother Jones RN presents Finding Mr. Right, MD posted at Nurse Ratched’s Place. I bet there are guys out there looking for Miss Right, RN!

Marisa presents a look ar correctional nursing and understaffing at Stoned posted at Nursing Student Hell. By the time I was done reading, my adrenaline was pumping!

Keith at Digital Doorway enters this poignant patient encounter in a scenario that seems to have No Exit. Keith is also back from vacation and talks of returning to the minutiae of nursing in Of Vacation’s End and The Sisyphus Syndrome. Great advice at the end, and it comes at the perfect time for me!

Dr. Sid Schwab, author of “Cutting Remarks: Insights and Recollections of a Surgeon” presents an excerpt in Love Note To A Scrub Nurse over at Surgeonsblog, which I have to go link to immediately!

NPs Save Lives finds a future Nurse Practioner in The Resiliency of Children posted at NPs Save Lives. Fantastic description of a “dinger” repair! You can stitch me anytime!

Too Fat for Ponies is going to have a sore palm from all the virtual “high-fives” he will get as he talks about a different type of “nursing” in Eating In The Bathroom posted at Too Fat for Ponies. And while you are there, check out Too Fat for Ponies: Q & A of the Male Student Nurse and marvel that these questions are still asked of our male colleagues.

A reader over at Sunny Side Up: Dispatches From Paradise gives us a not-so-flattering look at nurses during an ER via the post entitled Nurse Wretched. Read and learn!

Hannah presents Milliner’s Dream: –Birth Conversations: A Doula’s Version of The Vagina Monologues posted at Milliner’s Dream. Oh, if I could have my kids all over again, things would be so different…..

Melissa presents an amazing story of “non-osmotic” common sense in I Am Not A Nurse, But I Play One On TV posted at The Adventures Of An Awesome (Sometimes) Mother. This Awesome Mom is wondering if she should be a nurse. I say we go and give her some encouragement!

NCLEX takers! Alec presents Some (hopefully) helpful advice posted at COWman’s Corner of the Web. Helpful hints and laughter at the same time!

Jo, at Coffee and Conversation describes some of the exciting things she has already experienced in her new role as an RN in Rites of Passage. She has even been yelled at by a doc for no reason! Girlfriend, welcome to da club!

Erica presents Let’s pretend. posted at Blissful Entropy. All I can say to this post is “Can I Get A Witness! Amen, honey, amen!” She also offers a philosophical look (and a quick inservice for the non-medical/cardiac reader)at the heart at Blissful Entropy: The pump. All I can say is if you’re gonna have an arrest, to it in the hospital!

I think I’ll chime in this week with a blast from the past wherein I bemoan my inability to work like I am 21 in Taking What They’re Giving ‘Cos I’m Working For A Living

Editor’s Additions:

There’s a new man in town, and he’s a nurse! He noticed there wasn’t a lot of blogs by male nurses and decided to chime in! Welcome Nurse Dan and his brand new blog!

My blogger colleague at Nursing Voices, Katie, is doing her clinicals in ER. Check out her blog at Confessions of A Student Nurse.

Next “Change of Shift” will be on July 27th, hosted here. Those who are interested in hosting – please email me. So far I have two offers!

Linda

July 12, 2006 at 8:44 pm

Nice job as always Kim! I am really enjoying “Change of Shift” lots of good posts this week :)

NPs Save Lives

July 13, 2006 at 8:44 am

Awesome job Kim! I will try to host during my “off time from school” in August if I can!

missbhavens

July 13, 2006 at 2:10 pm

This collection rocks!! When on Earth am I going to have time to read it all???

Keith, RN

July 13, 2006 at 5:58 pm

Great job, once again, Kim. I think I’ll offer to host some time in the coming months. Thanks for the hard work making this happen again.

BTW, your link to Grand Rounds at the very beginning goes to Blogborygmi but not to GR, itself.

Blessings and thanks.

Deb

July 13, 2006 at 6:01 pm

Wow, this is great!

Monika

July 14, 2006 at 4:40 am

Wow this is so cool!!!

Intelinurse2b

July 14, 2006 at 10:50 am

I am so glad this is up and running. I liked number two as much as one. I’d love to host! Imagine, a nursing student hosting-I would be honored. Please keep me in mind.
    Jenny

sumer sethi

July 15, 2006 at 1:41 am

great job…
    enjoyed it!! Sumer

Jodi

July 15, 2006 at 1:18 pm

Great job Kim!
    In a few weeks…maybe…I might be willing to host. Let me get my time management more organized first . :)

Mama Mia

July 16, 2006 at 3:44 pm

Another excellent collection, Kim. Thanks again for bringing this together.

Student Nurse, prn

July 22, 2006 at 11:00 am

Great blog I can’t wait to catch up reading. Love the “Change of Shift” idea. Bravo!!

cara

July 27, 2006 at 12:04 pm

Hiya Kim! Found you through Katie (Confessions of a Student Nurse.) And now I have lots of great new stuff to read – thanks for putting the Shift Change reports together! :)

scrubs
Scrub Pants
Scrub Pants
Be Comfortable!
Scrubs
and the rest of your medical apparel needs from ScrubsGallery.com