August 23, 2006, 8:21 pm

Change of Shift – Volume One, Number Five

cos

Welcome once again to Change of Shift: A Nursing Blog Carnival, the bi-weekly conpendium of nursing-related postings from around the medical blogosphere.

Modeled after the blogfather of all things medical, Grand Rounds, and shamelessly copied from Nick of Blogborygmi, Change of Shift is nursing related, but written from the perspective of all participants in the world of health care.

A big thanks to Intelinurse2b at It’s A Nursing Thing, for hosting our last edition..

And now, the fifth edition of Change of Shift.

Ever pray you don’t miss an important finding during your patient assessment? Rural RN, from her blog Rural ED puts it quite succinctly in Symptoms of Significance.

Susan, mother to a child dealing fighting cancer, describes a very personal encounter with one of his nurses in the heartwarming post Baby You Can Drive My Car, found at How Can I Keep From Singing?.

Men are treated as equals in the nursing profession, yes? Hold your opinion until you have read Bumped and Bruised but Breathing, written by Too Fat For Ponies, SN followed by Gender Based Vocation. You’ll find them both posted at Too Fat for Ponies. Hmmm…I thought it was the 21st century. Some of our colleagues need a reminder.

Deb Serani presents The Rich Rewards of Pro Bono Work posted at her well known blog, Dr. Deborah Serani. Interestingly enough, there is a clinic in a local city looking for volunteeers to staff a clinic for those who need health care but have no means. I am actually considering volunteering a few hours a week. Rather fortuitous timing of this submission!

Mother Jones, RN at Nurse Rached’s Place sends in a heartwrenching post of loss and gain in “Help Me Say Goodbye“. No synopsis will do it justice. Get your kleenex handy…..

I recently posted a missive here on Emergiblog with my ideas about How To Talk To Doctors. I knew I had read a post addressing the same issue, but could not remember when or by whom.

In response to my post, my “inspiration” re-posted her original topic and submitted it to Change of Shift, thereby saving my sanity by helping me remember where I had seen it!

And so, with no further introduction needed, NPs Save Lives presents An Important Note Regarding Communication Between Healthcare Providers posted at The Nurse Practitioner’s Place. And on her sister blog, Nurse Practitioner’s News a warning regarding antibiotic resistance in Nurse Practitioner News – MRSA is on the rise – BlogCharm

Student Nurse Prisca at “N is for… Nurse” gives us all a reminder of that memorable first clinical experience in The Nerves. It was five years before I quit getting acute abdominal cramping (to put it delicately) after a code, so I can totally relate.

Gail Rae Hudson is not a nurse, but she practices nursing everyday of her life as her mother’s caretaker. Her post, a practical take on a the old idea of “being in the moment” is actually a wonderful guide on how to prevent burnout. Read How To Be Where You Are, one of many essays found at The Mom and Me Journals.

No matter what the topic, Ron Hudson writes from the heart. As a 21-year survivor with HIV, Ron gives nursing a big “thanks” in 2sides2ron: Homage to Nurses posted at 2sides2ron.

And finally, our favorite ER Chaplain, Susan Palwick, not only discusses how weaknesses can be strengths in the ER environment, but describes a few of the personalities encountered along the way in PITA for Christ at Rickety Contrivances of Doing Good.
(And she isn’t talking about bread…)

Thanks for checking out this week’s Change of Shift.  Our next edition will be in two weeks and hosted here at Emergiblog.  Send in your submissions via blog carnival or email me directly at “kmcallister911 at yahoo dot com”.

Susan

August 23, 2006 at 10:27 pm

Great edition, Kim; thank you! And thank you for including me!

GruntDoc

August 23, 2006 at 10:38 pm

Change of Shift 1:5

Welcome once again to Change of Shift: A Nursing Blog Carnival, the bi-weekly compendium of nursing-related postings from around the medical blogosphere. Modeled after the blogfather of all things medical, Grand Rounds, and shamelessly copied from Nic…

Deb

August 24, 2006 at 9:06 am

Wow, such great info here.

missbhavens

August 24, 2006 at 2:50 pm

heck of a collection!!!!

Off to read now!

Keith, RN

August 25, 2006 at 4:00 am

Great shift, Kim. Sadly, I submitted something via Blog Carnival that perhaps never reached you. Sorry about that. Will try again next time. Great job, as usual.

That Girl

August 25, 2006 at 11:34 am

Thanks!

NPs Save Lives

August 26, 2006 at 7:45 pm

Thanks for including me in the shift Kim!

Prisca

August 27, 2006 at 6:40 am

Thanks for including me in this edition–you did a great job! :0)

Gail Rae Hudson

August 27, 2006 at 12:26 pm

I finally made it back here, Kim. Aside from this being a great carnival, I love your journal…especially your “About Me” explanation.
    Thank you for including my post. I’m honored.
    Such great stuff here! Carry on!

Gail Rae Hudson

August 27, 2006 at 12:57 pm

Back, again. Just wanted you to know, Kim, that I added your carnival to my list of carnivals in which my journal participates. Sorry I didn’t do this, before. I didn’t realize you were hosting a carnival. Hope this widens your visibility and brings you some hits from some different places.

medical scrubs
Scrub Tops
Scrub Tops

Be Comfortable!
Scrubs
and the rest of your medical apparel needs from ScrubsGallery.com

RN Pocket Guide