It was one year ago yesterday that “Emergiblog” was conceived at approximately 0345 in a quiet emergency department.
I was talking about this new “thing” called “blogging” and bemoaning the fact that I didn’t know anything well enough to blog about.
Had I been a cartoon character a light bulb would have shown up above my head.
Now I knew that James Lileks was blogging about everyday life, but there was no way I could make going to Safeway a hilarious anecdote.
The man had the knack.
It was, shall I say, a Homer Simpsom moment, as in:
You’ve been a nurse for, like, three decades. Maybe you could blog about that.
Now…what to call this new creation…..
“Be Afraid. Be Very Afraid.”
“Run From This Profession As Fast As You Can”
I didn’t want to scare people off!
And so “Emergiblog” was born.
So now, it’s a year later and Emergiblog is averaging over 300 hits a day, is syndicated through three different outlets, has over 365 posts, birthed a second blog and just went over the seventy-thousand hit mark.
I am one happy campin’ blogger here.
Would you like in on the secrets of success?
The steps are quite simple:
- Start a blog.
- Tell your mother you have a blog. It will be all over the wires in ten minutes.
- Have Bora post a link to your site.
- Find out who Bora is and thank him profusely!
- Write a post, any post, about a ruptured spleen. For some reason folks are always searching for information on that.
- Mention Dorothy Hamill on your site. There. I just guaranteed myself ten thousand hits in the next week.
- Submit to Grand Rounds on a regular basis. Offer to host. Have Blogger go haywire on you and redo the entire thing. Twice.
- Consider the hemlock solution and then meet a knight in shining armor (Shane) who offers you an escape from Blogger hell. Take him up on it.
- Become physically addicted to your laptop.
- Blog from another country when you are on vacation!
- Understand that everything you do, see or say is, can be or will be blog fodder.
- Find a style. Steal a style. But make it your own.
And that is the way to have a successful blog. Find your niche.
Find your style.
Then run with it.
Look, Yoko’s way of singing is wailing and howling. But she inspired the B52s and when John heard them, it inspired him to go back into the studio.
Yoko thinks outside the box.
She also screams outside the box, but that is beside the point. (Love ya, Yoko!)
So here’s to another year of Tales From the Emergency Department with the occasional foray into Notre Dame football and American Idolatry (at which I excel).
To all who read, who link, and who have the guts to speak their minds no matter what their beliefs are: you are what keeps me blogging. You are what keeps the blogosphere a living entity.
And you have all been an inspiration.