October 18, 2006, 5:27 pm

Change of Shift: Volume One, Number Nine

cooltext190913551.jpg

Welcome to the ninth edition of Change of Shift: A Nursing Blog Carnival! This week we have nurses from a variety of specialties plus a doctor, a pastor and a mom checking in!

Let’s get started!

Keith expresses amazement that we still haven’t learned how to help our new colleagues in Still Eating our Young? We need them too badly to lose them to what can seem so overwhelming that first year. And they need us to show them the way. Keith posts at Digital Doorway.

Cas presents a look at the emotional adaptability required after a patient codes in If These Stretchers Could Talk posted at Mommy Nurse Wife and 25!. Cassie doesn’t stop there. She presents some interesting modes of medication administration in Deep breath and PUFF . I know some ER staff who could benefit from this exhaustive study of what we so professionally call “Vitamin A”.

Fat Doctor presents a gut-wrenching story of what can happen when continutity of care is disrupted. The post is entitled Responsibility and is posted at Fat Doctor. It will make your heart ache.

Nurses often find themselves in situations not addressed in the textbooks. John discusses an unusual request by a patient’s family in To Pray or Not to Pray… posted at DisappearingJohn RN. Check out the comments section. How would you handle this?

Patients go through many stages as they learn to care for themselves when a chronic illness is involved. Sometimes the final motivation to success can come from an unexpected source. Janet at Chocolate and Raspberries shares an uplifting tale of success in It’s Time For the Happy Dance! Patient-run hemodialysis at home? Am I the only one who didn’t know that was possible?

Been there, seen that? I bet you have! Mother Jones, RN at Nurse Ratched’s Place talks about that always awkward situation The Workplace Romance. Although, if you are a pudgy, almost-50, married RN, no one will try to pick you up at Starbucks. Trust me on that one.

Master “juggler” and soon-to-be NICU Resource Nurse Laura observes the seemingly younger and younger physicians in Paging Dr. Doogie Howser over Adventures In Juggling. Let us not forget that although we nurses are aging, we are doing it quite elegantly, don’t you think?

Awesome Mom talks of a nurse she became particularly close to in Moments in the Night posted at The Adventures Of An Awesome (Sometimes) Mother. Sometimes caring for a patient can be a two-way street. Awesome Mom, you really are awesome.

John has a healthy respect for the legal requirements of nursing but doesn’t let it affect his patient care in Defensive Nursing. It’s one thing to know your profession and the legality thereof; it’s another spend every moment in fear of litigation. Posted at DisappearingJohn RN. Are you a “defensive” nurse?

Marisa may have already decided on a specialty! In Wound Care she describes her day with a wound care nurse. Posted at Nursing Student Hell, her enthusiasm make me want to consider the same thing!

Pixel RN is back with a vengeance! She gets to put her ACLS training to good use in My First Cardioversion. “In sync” is not just a boy band! Find out where Pixel’s been these last few weeks!

There’s a new ER nurse in town! Her name is Julie, she’s from Oregon and her blog is ER RN. In Honor of Halloween, she has penned a treacherous, frightening scenario of just what can happen in an emergency room on that night of all nights…….Welcome, Julie!

Our “other” Julie this week is our Julie from Life in the NHS who discusses the reasoning and some of the processes involved in Educating People In the NHS. Yes, there are issues, but until they are resolved there are patients to care for and work to do! Nice new look to the blog, too! Great job!

kt talks about being there for her patients and their family in My Job, My Pleasure. It really isn’t “all in a day’s work” for a nurse. There is so much more. It means so much more.

NeoNurseChic pays one last “visit” to her tiny charges in a touching post entitled My First NICU Memorial. It takes a lot to be an NICU nurse. The joy of success, the pain of loss. Both are described beautifully here.

oncRN references a recent New York Times article about the ramifications of what a DNR means and the suspicions surrounding the topic. In the post DNR, oncRN makes the observation that even in the world of oncology, death is a difficult topic to broach. She makes the case that the specialty of oncology should be a role model for acknowledging patient’s fears about death early in the process.

Susan, our volunteer ER Chaplain, makes many, many good “points” about why knitting needles are not a good idea in an ER waiting room. See Nix to the Knitting Needles. Susan, girlfriend, I am so on the same page with you! At Rickety Contrivances of Doing Good.

Thanks to all who participated in this edition of Change of Shift!

Next edition will be on November 2nd and we will have a guest host: Disappearing John!

Send your submissions to John at “disappearingjohn at gmail dot com” or through Blog Carnival. He’s looking forward to some great stories!

enoch choi

October 18, 2006 at 5:44 pm

great job!

Dr Emer

October 18, 2006 at 6:03 pm

I must learn the art of time management from you, Kim. Another magnificent opus! Great work.

Fat Doctor

October 18, 2006 at 6:07 pm

Thanks, as always, for hosting and for including my post, Kim. Change of Shift has become an institution! Do you ever let physicians host? I would be willing to put my name on the calendar in the future if so, but I certainly understand if you want to keep it run by nurses. Anyway, great job on this edition!

apgaRN

October 18, 2006 at 9:04 pm

You’re an inspiration, Kim!

Is it ok if I add you to my favorite links? (just starting out)

Awesome Mom

October 18, 2006 at 11:10 pm

Yet another wonderful Change of Shift (and I am not just saying that because you included my post)!

Carrie

October 18, 2006 at 11:39 pm

Excellent Job, Kim! You inspire me!! Thank you for including my post!

nurse m

October 19, 2006 at 2:37 pm

great job!

Monika

October 19, 2006 at 5:33 pm

I love “Change of Shift”!!!! Its wonderful!

Susan

October 19, 2006 at 8:39 pm

Terrific job, Kim! I really enjoyed this edition. And thanks for including me!

intelinurse2b

October 20, 2006 at 5:01 am

You rock Kim. This was filled with great posts! I always look forward to COS!

Julie

October 21, 2006 at 1:09 am

Hi Kim, Well done on another great Change of Shift, it is great to see what everyone is up to and what wonderful nurses we have out there!

I have put a post up about nurse practitioners in the UK, how this will help to clarify things!

Al Kline DPM

October 21, 2006 at 5:07 am

Kim,

I’ve updated my blog with a new frontpage. It will highlight articles that I’ve written called ‘This Week-Highlight Articles’ .

Great job on this blog. Interesting stuff!

Thx for stopping by,
    Al Kline DPM

Dawn

October 21, 2006 at 8:08 pm

Great job! I can’t wait to get all of them. As long as I’ve been reading here I guess I always assumed I was linked in your student nurses blogroll….guess not. (hint) :o )

MandyHamm

October 23, 2006 at 5:35 am

Forgive my ignorance, I just found your blog but…what is “change of shift?” Although my blog is not completely medically oriented, I’m collecting/posting some awfully interesting shit from the ED I work in…it’s amazing what people do to themselves and others…

If interested, my blog is: http://www.amandahammland.blogspot.com

Happy reading….love your blog!

kim unsure

October 27, 2006 at 4:43 pm

My name is Kim, I am 49 years old. I have worked in the medical field for 18 years as a oncolgy secretary. a year and half ago I decide to go back to school to be a medical assistant. I did not think I could be a nurse, so I started there I loved it. I’m not the smartest person in the world, terrible at math, but now I want to be a nurse, and I’, scared. Scared I cant pass. I’, willing to study, Do you think I can do it. I will have to go 2 more years, plus, I wont beable to work fulltime and that scares me also because I have no one to help me with bills. I know you dont know me, but what do you think? Should I try? do you have any advice for me

Kim

justcallmejo

October 28, 2006 at 10:01 am

Holycow, I love this blog! It’s fanTAStic that you’re collecting stories about nursing. Thank you for doing this for all of us.
    /jo, RN, BSN, who is sitting in a sunny cafe, pouring another cup of coffee and settling in for a lovely afternoon of reading.

nursing scrubs
Petite Scrubs
Petite Scrubs
Scrubs that fit!
Nursing Scrubs
and the rest of your medical uniforms you need from Scrubs Gallery.