November 10, 2006, 4:33 pm

Submit to Your Future…Change of Shift, That Is!

future

Hey Girls!

See how easy it is to be a nurse?

1. You sit at a desk holding paperwork and staring at the recruiter’s nursing cap.

2. You watch an operation.

3. You dance with Mr. Slick Hair.

4. And you have 2.3 kids!

Apparently the future is a man and two kids.

Only one out of four photos shows anything remotely health related and even that is in surgery where you can’t even tell who the nurse is.

Ironically, this is pretty much how my life did turn out!

• Except John doesn’t have slick hair, it’s rather nicely layered.
  • I could not figure out how to produce a 0.3 kid, so I just went ahead and produced a whole third one.

So what’s in your future?

I hope it is a submission to next week’s “Change of Shift”!

This time we travel all the way across the Atlantic to Julie and Life in the NHS, our hosts for the next edition.

As always, you can submit through Blog Carnival (see my sidebar) or send your submissions directly to Julie at “lifeinthenhs at btinternet dot com”.

I love my British television. I really do. I go to BBC America on a regular basis.

Usually I like the classic British comedies. “Are You Being Served?”, “Keeping Up Appearances”, “As Time Goes By”, “Monty Python’s Flying Circus”, “A Fine Romance”….

You get the picture.

Well there is a show being televised on BBC America right now that is THE most offensive show I’ve ever seen in its portrayal of nurses.

Now lest you think I have no sense of humor, I laughed at the Quactitioner dolls and I think most nursing groups need to grow a bit in their humor divisions.

But…I’ve never seen a series television show portray nurses as incompetent whores in prime time. And that was only the first ten minutes.

I couldn’t take anymore.

The show is called “No Angels”.

The first scene of last night’s show concerned a nurse who found her patient dead. Apparently she forgot to check on the patient in a timely manner.

No CPR was started, no airway attempted.

Instead, they stripped the patient (a 70ish woman) and threw her into a hot bathtub so that the “SHO”, a doctor I presume, would not get pissed off and would think the patient had just died because she would be “warm”.

I’m nauseated just writing this.

And so, I am writing to BBC America and basically stating I am boycotting their station until this piece of garbage is off the air.

Every single thing BBC America offers I can get on DVD.

Am I out of my mind? Has anyone else seen this obnoxious piece of drivel?

I can laugh at nursing when it is appropriate but this is beyond the pale.

If the nurses in England have to deal with this sort of public perception, then God help them.

I’m surprised they have anyone willing to stay in the profession.

• NPs Save Lives

November 10, 2006 at 5:57 pm

We have so much in common it’s not even funny! My husband turned me on the the BBC comedies and I watch just about everyone that you listed. I have not seen the crap show about nurses though. I would probably blow a gasket and have to finish developing the ulcer I’ve been working on… I would love to see the doctors try to do their jobs without us to hold their hands.. Half the time they expect us to be secretaries..

• jen

November 10, 2006 at 7:54 pm

i first heard about that show from crzegirl. I haven’t watched it, but wow, that is wild.

• may

November 10, 2006 at 8:49 pm

SHO. senior house officer?

• Julie

November 11, 2006 at 12:03 am

Hi Kim,

As you know I have seen an episode like you, but only one. People here thought it was funny, but then it isn’t their granny being warmed up in the bath! The worst thing was that it seemed to be assumed that nurses are just there to have sex with the doctors! The RCN complained at the time, as did many nurses and actually there have been no more series. It is not surprising that we are getting a bad press here, the perception that nurses just don’t care is growing and while that may be true of a small minority it certainly isn’t for most of us!

A noble gesture Kim to not watch BBC but don’t deprive you of any good programmes. By the way, I guess a No Angel DVD is off your Christmas list? Its not on mine either!

• S. R.

November 11, 2006 at 4:20 am

You don’t think Grey’s Anatomy is a ridiculous show? Blah.

• Jen

November 11, 2006 at 9:30 am

See http://www.nursingadvocacy.org for letter writing campaigns against Grey’s anatomy and House for the weekly portrayal of nurses “the one who walks in to get yelled at” or “the one who hold things for doctors” or “the one who asks a stupid question”.
    Jen

• DrShroom

November 11, 2006 at 10:53 am

No Angels, poor public perception or not, is largely based on true stories, or amalgams of several incidents

• Steve

November 11, 2006 at 7:17 pm

Go Notre Dame! Go UCLA!

• Deacon Barry

November 12, 2006 at 4:41 am

Actually, there’s two series of No Angels. I watched the first series, but I couldn’t be bothered with the second. It clashed with CSI:Miami. (My wife thinks David Caruso is hunky).
    Some things in the programme were spot on; others were totally NOMW – not on my ward. The nurses do not resemble (personality-wise) any of the dear people I work with.
    May’s got it right. SHO does mean Senior House Officer.

• PaedsRN

November 12, 2006 at 7:53 pm

“That includes all you guys, too, something the ad above seems to have forgotten!”

How do you know Mr Slick Hair isn’t a nurse too? 😉

Not likely to ever have 2.3 kids though!

• justcallmejo

November 12, 2006 at 9:14 pm

You are just a kick in the pants. I really enjoy your blog. Count me as a new regular reader. 🙂
    /jo, who will do a sub-blog on nursing and looks forward to being part of the community.

• Hannah

November 13, 2006 at 9:56 pm

Funny to me is “Scrubs” because it’s got poignant moments and passes itself off rightfully) as comedy. I just saw the ADS for “No Angels” and vowed not to watch!

Hh

• Antodepressant Paxil

November 26, 2006 at 6:21 pm

the first part of the entry was funny as hell… sometimes i couldn’t believe how earlier advertisements of that nature used to treat people as stupid, but i guess times have moved pretty slowly since then… i guess they still treat us as stupid, but in a different way…