December 15, 2006, 8:23 pm

Frolic in the Snow: Tagged by a Gruntdoc!

samsnowmanI love this little guy! Ever since I was nine years old I waited for him every Christmas. I could never hear Burl Ives without thinking of Sam the Snowman!

I bought the entire Rudolph Village!

This year one of the boxes contained Hermie the dentist, Yukon Cornelius (did you know he licked his axe because he was looking for a candy cane mine? They cut that part out of the original show! I thought all miners did it to look for silver and gold!), the Abominable Snow guy and good ol’ Sam.

You would have thought I was nine-years-old all over again! My daughter thought I had stripped a mental gear….

Okay, so I was tagged by GruntDoc with this Christmas meme! And here it is!

1. Hot Chocolate or Egg Nog? Starbucks EggNog Latte – heavenly!

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? Santa wraps tirelessly. No, let’s put it this way: MRS. Santa wraps tirelessly, although she would just as soon leave them out in plain sight!!!!!

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? Mrs. Santa bemoans the lack of lights on her house but if someone would put them up she would prefer the old giant single colored lights.

4. Do you hang mistletoe? No, but my son used to go with his Boy Scout troup and collect it, bag it and sell it. Good memories.

5. When do you put your decorations up? It takes a week. I start the day after Thanksgiving.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish? Yams! With brown sugar and butter and so many marshmallows it looks like a snow drift!

7. Favorite Holiday memory? Looking for the Bestest. Tree. Ever.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? I was nine and I figured it out. Growing up sucks.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? No, despite the incessant whining of my children. And they are adults!

10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree? Alone. Used to be me and the kids but now I get the duty by myself. Mr. Santa thinks he is doing his duty by getting the tree home. So many lights it looks like an airport runway – you gotta have lights, big colored lights and lots of them.

11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? I love to look at it. Don’t get much chance in the San Francisco area.

12. Can you ice skate? Do you know what I would GIVE to be Dorothy Hamill? (Okay, here comes 489 hits just from the name alone….)

13. Do you remember your favorite gift? It was a Joe Montana Christmas. The #19 Kansas City jersey, the autographed football and the autographed 8 x 10. I’m hoping to have a Brady Quinn Christmas this year. Have the football, need the jersey and the 8 x 10.

14. What’s the most important thing? Jesus is the Reason for the Season!

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? Pumpkin pie. Any kind, any place, anywhere and buried under so much whipped cream it looks like snow. I don’t eat pumpkin pie any other time of year just to keep it special from Thanksgiving through Christmas.

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? It doesn’t happen anymore but for my first 38 years we spent every single Christmas Eve at my Grandparents’ house where we would wait at the front window to see if Santa went by and then wait in the back bedroom until he was done delivering presents. We get together now at my sister’s house. New generations, good times….but it can never ever replace “seeing” Santa from the window and Grandma and Grandpa’s.

17. What tops your tree? A decaying cardboard angel that we purchased our first Christmas in 1979 when we were poor as church mice. Her head falls off and when it is on it looks like she is snoozing, but that angel has made it through 27 Christmases/years of marriage and she gets her place of honor on top of the tree.

18. Which do you prefer giving or Receiving? Giving – I LOVE looking for just the right gift!

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song “Oh Holy Night” (and “Holly Jolly Christmas” is the best secular song!)

20. Candy canes, Yuck or Yum? Mini yum

Now, tell us YOUR favorites!

Kelly

December 15, 2006 at 9:59 pm

Try that Starbucks Eggnog latte with a twist:

Chai latte WITH Eggnog….to die for!

Nicole

December 16, 2006 at 7:43 am

Even at almost 22 years old, my Christmas would never be the same without hearing him sing ‘Silver and Gold.’ What year did that movie come out??

Mel

December 16, 2006 at 7:54 am

Favorite Christmas Song: Ave Maria

No EggNog or Hot Coca: I’m allergic to both. I’ll take a gingerbread latte, please, with whipped cream. :-)

Favorite memory: Christmas at Granny Belle’s. 12 grandkids simultaneously opening their envelopes which were hung on the tree the day after Thanksgiving. We all knew there was $5 in them, but it was great anyway. :-)

laura

December 16, 2006 at 10:55 am

the snowman rocks!
    he sings holly jolly christmas which i sing to my darling daughter holly all the time. for some reason it annohys her. lol
    rudolph is always a favorite of mine.
    my christmas favorites are posted in a slightly different and longer meme. it is a wonderful time of the year, especially skince i finished the christmas and birthday shopping this morning after work.

Dawn

December 16, 2006 at 4:56 pm

Either Caribou Coffee or Dunn Brothers hot cocoa with a shot of cherry, with fresh whipped cream and chocolate shavings on top.

Best holiday memory – my oldest daughter’s first Christmas in Idaho. She was four months old, and everything was so new to her!

jen

December 16, 2006 at 6:43 pm

ok, i stole your meme. I like posting stuff like this.

Too Fat, SN

December 16, 2006 at 7:34 pm

oh man! where are you ordering the figurines? My wife would love to get the same ones.

Too Fat, SN

ladybugkip

December 18, 2006 at 10:46 am

HA!

i had to quit reading when i got to the Dorothy Hamill reply… OMG – being the age that i am, you KNOW i was the proud wearer of “the Dorothy Hamill haircut” for *ahem* several years growing up.

saw her on TV the other night and audibly (sp?) swooned!!! she is just THE BEST. love her love her love her!!! :)

RN Pocket Guide