January 16, 2007, 7:34 pm

The Heat Is On!

tampon

Antiphylogistine?

What then is “phylogistine”?

This is for inflammation in the female nether regions, either superficial or deep-seated.

In other words, it was for Victorian yeast infections.

Apparently it is administered as a vaginal tampon.

That is one mega tampon!

She looks like she is holding a paper airplane.

That’s one hell of a delivery system!

Put the patient in the stirrups and throw it in from the door!

Two momentous events have/will occur today that will affect my life in dramatic ways.

• I discovered “You Tube”.

I mean, I knew it existed, but I never realized there are about a bazillion hours of Journey/Steve Perry videos on it! I spent two hours today just soaking it all up!

How am I supposed to function in the activities of daily living when there might be a video I’ve never seen hiding in the wings???

It boggles the mind.

• American Idol begins Season Six tonight.

I cannot even hear the opening notes of the theme song or I will be addicted once again for five months, doomed to power vote for two solid hours every Tuesday night even if it means forgoing sleep prior to my night shift.

I’m not kidding. I still fight the urge to grab a phone when I see Kelly, Ruben, Fantasia, Clay, Bo or Taylor Hicks.

I have asked my family for help, as we only have one television and if they do not watch it, I will not be tempted.

They have declined to assist me in this endeavor.

Actually, when asked to give up this AI season for my greater good they said, in unison “Hell no!”

Alas, I have done my best.

*****************************

I checked out the syllabus for my Leadership and Management class online today.

Five papers!

In APA format!

When I was last in school, there were no “formats”. You had a title page and then you wrote paragraphs, and added a bibliography at the end of the paper.

I wouldn’t know APA from MLA from a CPA.

I guess I’m going to have to learn.

Fast!

Bardiac

January 16, 2007 at 8:20 pm

I hope you find your class enlightening and fun!

You have a big advantage in writing papers because you’re in the habit of writing.

(And APA is easy, really, and makes some logical sense, even.)

ChiaLing81

January 16, 2007 at 8:41 pm

If it’s not already required, I highly recommend getting a copy of the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association, 5th edition. I used that book SO MANY times this past year. For some reason, none of the Barnes and Noble stores in my area carried it, but the Borders did.

APA is not so bad – and I actually found that it helped me to keep my papers in a logical outline. I don’t know why my classmates liked to complain so much about it.

You will do great! 🙂 I’m so excited for you to start classes.

StudentNurseJack

January 16, 2007 at 8:59 pm

I hate APA. I was a journalism major the first time around and I quickly discovered during this second round of college that I HATE people telling me how to write.

In fact, last semester I turned in a paper that had a ‘non-APA’ intro. Because, why? I’m a smart-a** that way and I didn’t care? I don’t know. My instructor loved my personal take on the topic I chose that she only took off a few points for my “non-APA format introduction’ instead of the full point assessed for that section.

I know, I know. I need to get over it. Quickly. I second the recommendation for the APA Manual. I own it, but will actually read it and use it this semester.

Seriously, good luck this semester! I’m looking forward to reading about it.

Awesome Mom

January 16, 2007 at 9:14 pm

You cracked me up so much with your commentary on that picture.

Erica

January 17, 2007 at 1:37 am

Kim:
    You’ll be fine with your papers. Your writing skill and style are admirable, to begin with. And APA really isn’t so bad, just takes a little getting used to. Need some help? Drop me a line. I’ve spent the past 6 years or so editing academic nursing pieces, all APA formatted, and have gotten damned good at it. Erica@LetterPerfectEditing.com.
    Cheers,
    Erica

Sean

January 17, 2007 at 7:04 am

SOUL PATROL!!!!!!!!!

Alisha Hampton-Escobedo RN

January 17, 2007 at 2:35 pm

Online you can buy APA format for about $25. It just becomes a template in your microsoft word program. All my papers in nursing school had to be done in APA format – it was worth every penny! It even sets up your references, title page, page numbers – EVERYTHING! Piece of Cake.
    Regards,
    Alisha the B. North Telemetry RN

Robert

January 17, 2007 at 4:02 pm

One tool I have found invaluable in APA/MLA papers is Noodletools (http://noodletools.com/). It is a subscription service, but it handles the bibliography and the in-text citations. Unfortunately, it is not much help in the other aspects of APA style.

Nickie

January 17, 2007 at 5:07 pm

I just had to say that the mental picture from your description at the top of this post was absolutely hilarious! Probably even better than the photo.

Ursa

January 17, 2007 at 6:53 pm

This website got me through nursing school: http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/01/

Ugh. I’ve used several different formats, and i really can’t stand APA. The whole “running head” thing makes my teeth hurt. It’s not hard, once you get the hang of it, but there’s plenty out there that make just as much if not more sense.

And fantabulous picture and description. I’m now envisioning walking down a hallway on a floor as nurses stand in the doorway, winding up to launch their “paper airplanes.” Too funny.

Sharon

January 18, 2007 at 10:26 am

Kim- I recently boought the APA software and workbook, only to find myself not in need of it….. e-mail me if you haven’t gotten it yet. You can have it at a discount because I opened it up already. Give me a shout if you want it.

S. R.

January 18, 2007 at 7:47 pm

Ah yes, APA format. You get used to it. Just expect your paper to be very bland b/c of plagiarism issues.

One author looks like this

Jones, 2007

Two:

Jones & Smith, 2007

3,4,5 authors list them all. Six plus use “et al” after first author’s name. Quotes need a page no. Italicize journal names with the issue no, as well as book titles. Holy cow, i can go on forever so I’ll stop now…

Deacon Barry

January 19, 2007 at 5:30 am

‘Deep-seated’? Heh!

Markie

January 20, 2007 at 5:35 am

I highly suggest taking a look at http://www.referencepointsoftware.com/ which provides templates for Word and other editing software. I’m two semesters in through my five semester nursing school stint, and it’s really helped me with APA formatting, especially the references (which it handles pretty seamlessly).

There are other packages out there, but typically for more money or only ran on Windows (I write on my PowerBook), so it got my vote and my $30.

Looking forward to hearing about your thoughts on APA.