May 4, 2007, 1:31 pm

Federal Safe-Staffing Law – It Could Happen!

nurseall
The Service Employees International Union represents 84,000 nurses nationwide and corresponds with an additional 200,000 nurses via email updates.

Through their Value Care, Value Nurses campaign, they are working with Representative Jan Schakowsky of Illinois, a leading nurse advocate on Capitol Hill.

This week Rep. Schakowsky plans to introduce a federal safe staffing bill: The Nurse Staffing Standards for Patient Safety and Quality Care Act of 2005 (H.R. 1222).

repschakowsky

This Monday, May 7th, a National RN Conference call with Rep. Schakowsky will take place, and you can show your support by joining us and calling in!

Here are the details:

• What: National RN Conference Call with Rep. Jan Schakowsky
  • When: Monday, May 7th, 12:30pm ET
  • How: Dial toll-free 1-888-428-4478 a few minutes before the call start time.
  • When the operator asks which call you are joining, say: “nurse conference call”
  • Duration: Approximately 30 minutes.

I’ll be blogging the call, with a post going up immediately after the call has been completed. If I feel adventurous I’ll try to live blog it, but I think concentrating on the content and then writing will be easier.

I’ve been a direct recipient of the benefits of safe-staffing laws passed here in California and I’m excited that this issue is being addressed on a federal level.

Please join us on Monday. This issue crosses all political affiliations and affects not only ourselves but our patients.

I’m proud to be a part of this outreach!

jen

May 4, 2007 at 5:06 pm

count me in!

Mother Jones RN

May 4, 2007 at 6:47 pm

This is great! Thanks for spreading the word.

MJ

Student Nurse Nancy

May 4, 2007 at 7:20 pm

Wow! This sounds like a great opportunity…thanks for the heads up!

Labor Nurse

May 5, 2007 at 5:40 am

So how is the safe staffing law in CA working out?

I am in total support of such laws, but what happens when there just isn’t enough nurses? What happens to patients?

Onehealthpro

May 5, 2007 at 2:18 pm

So glad this is happening. Wouldn’t it be grand if no more nurses walked away from their careers due to inadequate staffing?
    Onehealthpro

Tammie Holley, JD, RN

May 6, 2007 at 7:39 pm

I will not believe that this is legitimate until I am able to participate in this conference. Call me “burned out” if you will, but know that I was burned out enough to get my JD and now sue the private institutions who are responsible for this mess, and all the while blame it on a “nursing shortage”. Right. Pay nurses what they deserve and get the patients the care they need and this problem will not exist. I will help in any way I can. We all get sick and eventually become patients ourselves. It is way past time to face reality.

Tammie Holley, JD, RN

May 6, 2007 at 7:58 pm

One more thing for”Labor nurse”. There is no such thing as,”just not enough nurses”. If your employer tells you such a thing, feel free to call the local staffing agencies in your area and ask the if they know of your departments “need”. Next, call the travel companies. As a follow-up, you may want to check the salaries of your hospital’s CEO, CFO,etc;
    COME ON Y’ALL! Stop working all of those extra shifts that are making you too tired, not to mention ruining your marriages, social lives, spines,children’s lives,and you know I could go on and on! The for-profit nstitutions have an interest in your lethargy. Get it? Let the federal government move in to regulate health care. This is probably the last life saver that health care in America will get. “Big government” would not have been our first choice, but when you are about to drown, any old life preserver will do.

Mary RN

May 7, 2007 at 7:41 am

Please our patient need reform they are suffering. Patients are dealing with poor conditions, they uneducated in their condition,some bed ridden patients can’t even get a bedpan when needed, why because their nurse has too many patients. How inhuman is this? Managements response seems to same there is a nursing shortage. Why would anyone want to go into a profession that is always short staffed, poorly paid and overworked. Great selling point for Nursing Schools huh. We Need Congress & Goverment to step in and mandate a change, before they find themselves in a hospital bed with a understaffed overworked poorly paid Nurse. Our patient deserve better.

fwfife.com

July 30, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Howdy, i read your blog from time to time and
    i own a similar one and i was just curious if you get a lot of spam feedback?
    If so how do you protect against it, any plugin or anything you can
    suggest? I get so much lately it’s driving me crazy so any support is very much appreciated.