June 2, 2007, 1:44 pm

I’ve Got Nothing to Say, But It’s Okay…

sgtpepper

Inspiration comes from the most unexpected places.

A local radio station was playing the entire Sgt. Pepper album last night, and this lyric from “Good Morning, Good Morning” hit me as being a great title for a blog post.

It was forty years ago yesterday that “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band” was released. It was a month before my tenth birthday and I had every US-released Beatles album up through “Revolver”.

I didn’t hear Sgt. Pepper until 1974.

By June of 1967 I was heavily into Michael Nesmith and the Monkees. Sgt. Pepper was weird and the Beatles were turning into…heavens above….hippies! Agh!

Well, by 1974 my inner hippie was well developed and I could appreciate Sgt. Pepper for the masterpiece it was/is.

(It’s amazing I didn’t develop multiple personality disorder. I was the only nerd/cheerleader/hippie I’d ever known…)

Actually, I have a fair amount to say.

Recent events in the medical blogosphere have caused me to re-evaluate why I blog, what I get out of the experience and what, if anything I am able to contribute to the medical blogosphere.

My reasons for starting a blog are not the same reasons I am still blogging today, nearly two years later.

I started a blog because I thought it would be fun. I chose to write about emergency nursing because it was the one thing I knew well enough to actually write about.

Never in my wildest dreams did I expect Emergiblog to last this long or come this far.

It keeps going because of what I have gotten out of the experience of blogging:

• A new enthusiasm for nursing.

I was a hang-in-there-until-you-can-retire veteran RN who saw no need for nor had any urge to obtain any degree other than my ADN. I was very proud of that degree. Still am.

As I encountered the blogs of nurses across the country, I began to see the bigger picture. Instead of bemoaning the state of the nursing profession, maybe there was a way to be part of the solution. Rather than despair over the lack of resources to educate the next generation of nurses, maybe there was a way to become one of those resources. I entered a BSN program with the goal of a PhD by the age of sixty and eventual employment as a nursing professor.

• Restored pride in my profession.

Reading blogs by nursing students, I felt the excitement, the anxiety and the pride they felt as they mastered new skills. It was a revelation to realize that there were people out there who were working hard, making sacrifices every day to enter a profession I took for granted. This caused me to look back on my career and to see nursing with fresh eyes. Instead of burnt out, I became proud of not only my accomplishments, but also those of my colleagues.

• Increased knowledge of and new respect for medicine.

Hearing the perspective of physicians has given me a new respect for what it is like to work as a doctor. I had no idea what it was like to be a physician – the frustrations, the triumphs and the enormity of knowledge/education required to be a doctor. Through blogs we get the chance to look at the world through the eyes of a surgeon, a family practitioner, a radiologist, an internist or a pediatrician. There are real, sometimes all too human people behind that “MD”. I appreciate them more now than I did before I began blogging.

• The opportunity to write.

I had no idea that I could write, I just knew I wanted to write. The catharsis of writing came as a surprise. The fact that anyone would actually find and read the writing was even more so! Yes, it was “online”, but who would possibly care! I thought that eventually I would run out of topics. This hasn’t happened. The more you write, the more you find to write about. The act of writing perpetuates writing.

• An ability to observe life

After awhile, life is really one big blog post. Anything can stimulate an idea. I find myself jotting down observations I wouldn’t have made, connections I would not have seen previously. A word, a comment. A song lyric. I never realized how much a writer observes life. Writing makes you a more acute observer.

• A sense of connection.

Truly, no matter where we live or what health care system we function in, our experiences are universal. This was a most profound realization. From England to Singapore, Mexico to Japan, Iran to Australia, we are all the same. Illness – and health care – knows no boundaries, recognizes no treaties. The opportunity to “meet”, converse with and support fellow health care workers from all over the world has been a truly enriching experience.

There is a lot to be said for blogging. It has enriched my life. Maybe too much. I had to laugh at #1 Dinosaur at Musings of a Dinosaur when he wrote this here:

Blogs are living things, which shouldn’t come as a surprise, given that they are written by people, most of whom are also living. (The exceptions are certain bloggers who are so hard-core they don’t really have anything that can be called a life.)

I laughed in the comments and said, “I resemble that remark!”

Well, maybe not exactly, but Emergiblog has become a part of my identity and I can’t imagine not utilizing it for thoughts and ideas and funny items.

Here’s hoping that as the medical blogosphere evolves, more of us will use the internet as a source of information and support of one another. We all deserve the right to write. We need to hang in there and offer our support to those who do not have the luxury of their employer’s support or feel anxious about writing.

There is a great quote from “From Silence to Voice” that I think fits here (with a bit of a modification). The authors are discussing the nursing profession, but it really applies to bloggers, too:

“They can shut up and leave in droves, or stand up for medical blogging so that medical blogging begins to get the support it needs.”

We need to keep giving the support our colleagues need to keep blogging. We must fight to change the opinions of those who find the medical blogosphere frightening and use their influence to silence those who would discuss their professions.

Type-B Premed

June 2, 2007 at 2:54 pm

“We need to keep giving the support our colleagues need to keep blogging”

Amen!

Doctor Anonymous

June 2, 2007 at 5:09 pm

Great positive message!

Peggikaye

June 2, 2007 at 7:34 pm

I’ve just spent the last 10 days in the hospital at my husband’s bedside. We started out in the ER, then to the floor, and then a week in ICU, and now we’re headed to a long term care facility.

I just wanted to say … It’s been too hectic to say it to all the nurses who’ve come through the door, and some of them I wouldn’t know their faces if I ever saw them again …

but, on their behalf, I’d like to thank you for the job you all do every day for critically ill patients like my husband.

How you calmly get the patient, and their families through the times when you’re not even sure if the patient will make it, and the decisions that have to be made … I don’t know how you do it.

So, thank you Kim … when things settle down I will send a thank you card to each department and floor, but tonight, I’m on the computer, and I have access to a hardworking nurse, and he’s stable …and my brain is working. So, on behalf of them, I hope you accept my heartfelt thanks.

Mother Jones RN

June 3, 2007 at 6:26 am

Excellent post, Kim.

may

June 3, 2007 at 9:31 am

wow. those are some seriously good reasons to blog. i wish i can blog that deeply, but the truth is, i am just an blogaholic who doesn’t make sense all the time, and have fun blogging away for selfish reasons:(

Nursing A Headache

June 4, 2007 at 7:29 am

I applaud all of you who take the time to share a piece of your soul with the rest of us, especially you, Kim, since I’ve come to know you through these pages. It’s true that writing begets writing, and that your perception of EVERYTHING changes when you see it through a writer’s eye — I think it makes life (mine anyway) richer and more colorful. That includes the dark colors as well as the light and will result in days when you just don’t feel like being that opaque.

Thanks for sharing your shadow and light. For me, nothing is changed, it’s still the same…good morning, good morning, good morning.

Beth

June 4, 2007 at 7:09 pm

I agree with you completely. I love that “blogs are living things,” and that is all the more reason that they will not go away but will continue to grow.

rachealliang

June 4, 2007 at 9:47 pm

Dear Kim:

my high respect to you!

enrico

June 5, 2007 at 1:18 pm

Well said. I think shared information, experiences and and personal connections has not only made the medical blogosphere a better place, but also the actual entirety of the real-life medical community.

Adrienne Zurub

June 13, 2007 at 7:26 am

Hello fellow NaNoWriMo Winner 2006!
    Great Blog!

I’m a RN on the Open Heart/Heart Transplant team at Cleveland Clinic, 25 years now (oh Gawd!)I love it!

Looking to read more from you.

Adrienne Zurub, RN,MA,CNOR

Vitum Medicinus

June 30, 2007 at 12:01 am

“I had no idea what it was like to be a physician…I appreciate them more now than I did before I began blogging.”

I was very surprised to see a nurse of 28 years to say something like this.

What a great demonstration of the fact that we all have so much to learn from each other.

I can imagine that it might have been hard for a nurse to say that she appreciates doctors, especially when I would bet large sums of money that more than once in those 28 years you have had to deal with unspeakable attitude, ignorance, or even cruelty from the group of physicians that don’t appreciate nurses enough.

Kudos to you… and hope you noticed the special mention you got on my blog today as well.

Dr. Alice

July 5, 2007 at 12:34 pm

Great post, Kim. You’ve encouraged me to take the (hopefully small) risk of continuing with my blog now that I’m a surgery resident.

cutonthedottedline.wordpress.com

medical scrubs
Scrub Tops
Scrub Tops

Be Comfortable!
Scrubs
and the rest of your medical apparel needs from ScrubsGallery.com