August 29, 2007, 10:44 pm

If I Claim to be A Wise Man, It Surely Means That I Don’t Know

scram

Hey! It’s the Monopoly Guy!

Looks like somebody did not pass go and did not collect $200!

It’s not enough that he’s yelling at a nurse, but he’s yelling at the “Prettiest Nurse on the Staff“.

Little does he know that his upraised fist just earned him a “Chance” at some restraints. He may think his hospital is “Park Place” but if that fist makes contact he may find himself getting a little Baltic Avenue Haldol.

No comments regarding the “Community Chest”.

This blog is rated “G”, you know!

(I wonder if the Prettiest Nurse on the Staff gets a differential for that title?)

calvin/hobbes

I had a “what the hell am I doing?” moment today.

My classes don’t start for another week, but all the information was up online as of yesterday. I decided to get organized, print out all the calendars/syllabi and make my DayRunner/Binder all nice and efficient.

Ten units. Three different sites. Three different usernames and three different passwords (four, if you count my new university email I have to use).

I felt just a wee bit overwhelmed.

I am a perfectionist and I don’t do “B”s.

Oh hell, that’s a lie. I got a ton of “B”s in nursing school. But that was then, when I was young and didn’t care as long as I passed.

I’ll be fine once it starts, I always am. I figure it this way: (a) my nursing assessment class will be a breeze because I’ve been “assessing” for almost thirty years. Unless they have come up with a new lung sound, I should be okay, (b) my statistics class will take the most time and (c) my writing class will be the most enjoyable.

Then there is the National Novel Writing Month in November. Fifty thousand words in thirty days. I still have not gone back to last year’s book yet. Last year I wrote about a young, enthusiastic male ER nurse. Maybe this year I’ll write about a nurse from the old school forced to go back to work at the age of sixty. By the time it is ever published, the average age of a registered nurse will be 92, so it won’t be that far fetched. I’m actually taking the month of November off, so it is doable!

I figured I’d lighten my mood with a bit o’ Calvin and Hobbes, although I hope my writing isn’t an “intimidating and impenetrable fog.” I have, however, read many research studies that can lay claim to that description.

Maybe I’ll be famous as the nurse known for “readable research”. What good is a bunch of mish-mash statistics?

Well, I’ll be up to my neck in mish-mash statistics, so hopefully I’ll find out.

Wish me luck.

Mother Jones RN

August 30, 2007 at 9:36 am

I wonder why Mr. Monopoly is so upset. Our pretty nurse should call the police and have him arrested if he hits her. Kim, you are going to do great in school. You’ll be the Prettiest Nurse on cyper-campus.

ErTechDude

August 30, 2007 at 10:01 am

Oh the good old days of school. I was pretty much as you describe except that I would start working on and completing everything so I could cruise through the semester. The only class that ever foiled me was statistics. I think I took that one 3 or 4 times.

Now that I’m returning to school to obtain an RN, I’m trying to get in the school frame of mind. Heck I’m not scheduled to start the program until January 2008 but, I’ve already bought some light nurse education reading.

marachne

August 30, 2007 at 11:01 am

It’s amazing how obsessive-compulsive one can become about grades (as well as really learning) when going back to school as an adult. For my BS it was straight A’s or bust: I didn’t have that attitude at first, but once I started getting them I didn’t want to mess up my record. Once in the PhD program I got a lot mellower — B’s are fine when it’s a terminal degree (I mean who really is going to look at your transcript?), and yet I still only got a few.

As for statistics, you may not believe me, but it’s a lot more fun when you get into inferential statistics rather than descriptive–for one thing they don’t make you do a lot of actual math (why should you? the computer programs do that), for another you get to see both what statistics are good for, what the different tests do, and when you want to use them….but most importantly, they make sense of all that “mish-mash of statistics.” The cool thing then is that you can look at those now-incomprehensible tables and compare what they say with what the authors say in the text!

As for the readability of nursing research, I’m actually pretty impressed with it (as well as a lot of the behavioral science lit). There usually are clear conclusions and recommendations (beyond the omnipresent “more studies are needed). You want to try and read something, try the humanities! (ducks to avoid anything chucked by English Lit majors).

ChiaLing81

August 30, 2007 at 5:14 pm

Ten units! Have fun this semester! You’ll do great! =)

Judy

August 31, 2007 at 7:32 am

And since I teach in graduate school, in my defense I’d like to say, I detest academic style. Once when I was being pushed to obtain a PhD, a wise supervisor said: “Just tell them you don’t want to be able to communicate well with fewer and fewer people.” In my opinion, if education doesn’t provide us concrete problem solving skills to help us with today’s challenges, it’s worthless.
    Onehealthpro

New Nurse Jane

September 1, 2007 at 9:23 am

You have me laughing with Mr. Monopoly man up there.
    Surely you will do great in school! I was an honor student in nursing school…once I started getting A grades I got addicted to them. Unfortunately…when I got to the nursing floor I felt well… really small, as if I knew nothing!
    It is getting better though!

John

September 2, 2007 at 9:12 pm

Not to rain on your parade, but did you by any chance check with bill Waterson about publishing his comic?

John