September 1, 2007, 11:12 am

Actions Speak; Your Silence is Deafening

latte

Forget what the calendar says. Summer is over.

The Pumpkin Spice Latte has returned to your local Starbucks.

If you could “taste” a holiday, this is is Halloween and Thanksgiving put together.

It will hold me until the Gingerbread Latte is up on the board.

That is liquid Christmas…

It’s early Saturday am and here I sit at the corner table.

I only had to give the evil eye to the previous occupant for about five minutes before they moved.

Don’t bogart that electrical outlet, my friend. There’s blogging to be done!

******
ndseatingchart

See this diagram?

It’s the seating chart for the Notre Dame stadium.

Today is the opening game against Georgia Tech. My husband’s rear end is sitting somewhere in the blue section. I’m still trying to figure out how he got to Indiana and I’m stuck at home watching it on TV.

That is wrong on so many levels.

Once a year hospital administrations around the country pay homage to their nurses during “National Nurses Week”. We nurses are wonderful! They couldn’t do it without us! They appreciate the wonderful care the patients receive. But…they seem to have a wee bit of trouble in figuring out exactly how to demonstrate their deep feelings for their “angels of mercy”.

I’d like to help them out with a few ideas.

Dear Administration,

Next May, instead of the free meal or the “We ‘Heart’ Nurses” keychain/mug/water bottle/tote bag/T-shirt, maybe you could show your deep seated appreciation for the nursing profession in a different fashion. Call it the gift that keeps on giving:

• Stop micro-managing the staffing of the floors. Sending a nurse home mid-shift because the census drops one patient below the minimum is ridiculous. Patients are in the hospital for “nursing” care. Staffing over minimum requirements allows nurses to spend more time with their patients. It is about the patients isn’t it?
  • Pay us commensurate with our experience and responsibility. When it comes time to re-negotiate the contract, stop trying to “take-away” everything you think you can get away with.
  • You know those big, glossy community newsletters you send out? How about focusing on the nursing expertise your facility offers? I’m not talking about how many awards your nurse executive has won, either.
  • Tell the community about the bedside nurses, the front-line of nursing professionals. The ones your “clients” will encounter during their stays in your ultra-modern facility with the multi-million dollar new hospital in the works.
  • Oh, and forget the “tender -loving- care-angel” angle – it may come as a shock, but Florence wasn’t like that and neither are we. We are experienced professionals with an extensive knowledge base. Don’t treat us like we are pillow-fluffers or virtuous bastions of self-sacrifice.
  • By the way, that beautiful doctor’s lounge with the leather couches and the Starbucks coffee available day or night? Is there any reason why the nursing staff that you appreciate so much can’t have the same luxury?
  • When you put together your television ads, the nurses all talk about “care” and the doctors talk about knowledge and research. I don’t want to cause a cardiac arrest or anything, but nurses are also participating in research and they, too, stay on the cutting edge of new knowledge. The “script” of your ads should reflect that.

There. That should give you some ideas on how to show your gratitude to the nurses in 2008.

We have enough knick-knacks with the hospital logo.

• maryann

September 1, 2007 at 12:19 pm

how I wish we have that same flavor of starbucks here in the Philippines! Nice to see blogs that I can relate of… I added you to my links.. feel free to add me too. my links.. feel free to add me too… http://richelle-rn.blogspot.com

• maryann

September 1, 2007 at 12:21 pm

how I wish we have that same flavor of starbucks here in the Philippines! Nice to see blogs that I can relate と… I added you to my links.. feel free to add me too. http://richelle-rn.blogspot.com

• D. Hurst

September 1, 2007 at 1:53 pm

WHOA! Where did this come from?!

I agree with you about administration showing some real respect for nurses, rather than giving another lunch bag/t-shirt/whatever.

• […] Forest University Actions Speak; Your Silence is Deafening » This Summary is from an article posted at Emergiblog // The Life & Times of an ER Nurse on […]

• A Bohemian Road Nurse...

September 1, 2007 at 3:23 pm

AACK–you torture me with that picture! We don’t have a Starbucks in Podunk and now I’m craving a Pumpkin Spice Latte!! (All we have are banana Moon Pies….)

• Mother Jones RN

September 1, 2007 at 5:39 pm

God, I love it when you speak your mind. People would be shocked if they knew how penny pinching hospital administrators really treat their nurses.

MJ

• Ron Swartz

September 1, 2007 at 6:22 pm

Right On, Sister!

• BabsRN

September 1, 2007 at 7:07 pm

Amen, Sister!!

PS – Notre Dame lost. But that’s okay. We will be more than happy to exact revenge when it’s our turn to play GA Tech. 😉

• Richmond

September 2, 2007 at 2:15 am

Here in the Philippines, you’ll start to hear christmas carols as early as September. Halloween is also observed but in a different way. We visit the cemetery and clean our loved ones’ graves and light candles for them.

• Isabelle

September 2, 2007 at 6:39 am

Bravo! National Condecension to Nurses Week is more like it, eh?

• Nurse K

September 2, 2007 at 9:16 am

Eh, our hospital gives free Starbucks to EVERYONE on night shift. 🙂 Mind you, not the fancy-shmancy foo-foo drinks, but brewed Starbucks anyway WITH REAL half and half (not the airplane powder crap). Oh, and free pastries too! Day shift gets no such luxury.

The Pumpkin Spice Latte is godly.

I’d rather the hospital not waste money on fancy lounges for nurses and just keep on increasing my paycheck. It’s not like nurses have any time to actually sit somewhere and relax on lunch.

The Starbucks is NICE though.

• Nurse K

September 2, 2007 at 9:20 am

Re: Nurses Week

Our boss asked us what we wanted for Nurses’ Week. We could take the I HEART NURSES bag or something else. We voted on and received new scissors (how I received the bandage scissors ‘o death, incidentally).

• linda lou

September 2, 2007 at 9:52 am

Preach on sister! Great post- you really know how to speak what is on MY mind 🙂

• Heidi

September 2, 2007 at 10:40 am

“I don’t want to cause a cardiac arrest or anything…” — LOL Kim! That was great. Awesome post!

• MedFriendly

September 2, 2007 at 6:29 pm

Nice post. My wife is a nurse and having worked in many hospitals over the years, have seen first hand what you need to deal with. People often do not realize that the nurse knows much more then the doctor about some things, and often corrects the doctor on making medication errors. Nurses definitey are not given their just due.

Dominic A. Carone, Ph.D.
    Founder and Webmaster of MedFriendly.com and The MedFriendly blog.

• Jo

September 2, 2007 at 7:28 pm

Hi Kim!

I’m back…I’ve missed you.

You’ve got me smiling again!

• Dawn

September 3, 2007 at 10:22 am

Amen to that – I couldn’t even tell you what my (now former) employer did for us this past ‘Nurses Week”. I recall receiving some Hallmarky book about hands or something; in reality, a better staffing grid would have been more appreciated by the staff.

Hey! How ’bout those BGSU Falcons beating the Gophers in their house this weekend? I’ve been grinnig the whole weekend like I’ve had 2mg of Ativan!

• unsinkablemb

September 3, 2007 at 5:40 pm

Great post, Kim! Maybe you should really send that letter to the administration. It’s amazing what they think makes nurses happy…

• Onehealthpro

September 4, 2007 at 7:13 am

Could it be the problem is administrative teams that don’t spend time on the units?
    Onehealthpro

• Candy

September 4, 2007 at 8:44 am

OK, no comment on the post (have to percolate that first — little coffee humor here), but here’s a delightful faux pumpkin spice latte recipe: http://www.bakingandbooks.com/2006/10/10/pumpkin-spice-latte-ii/

And Go Blue didn’t, so no snarky comments on Our Lady’s fate…but I hope hubby had a good time.

• Kat

September 7, 2007 at 7:07 am

Fantastic post! My hero for the day was the nurse who showed me how to enter advance diet orders into our backward system when my intern was too busy.

Patient eats -> patient gets better ->patient goes home ->everyone wins!