December 19, 2007, 7:03 am

Grand Rounds in Haiku, the Flu and All That Jazz.

quilt

For all you quilters out there (and I know you are out there), this block is known as the “Japanese Flower”.

Grand Rounds was done in haiku this week by Shiny Happy Person at Trick-Cycling for Beginners. That has to be a first!

So here is my first haiku ever:

Grand Rounds comes each week

Many good posts to choose from

Best with a latte

The fall semester is coming to a close this week. The finals are in, I have one paper left to revise and then it’s over.

What the hell was I thinking taking a full load of classes?

I’ve been stressed out of my gourd, my family now equates the word “statistics” with “bitch” and if I see the initials “APA” in the next month I will go commit myself to Mother Jones’ unit.

It doesn’t help that somewhere between graduating from nursing school in 1978 and today, I have developed a compulsion for a 4.0. As in straight A’s. I’ve not received anything under an “A” in any class I’ve taken since nursing school.

So what’s the problem? I’m sitting on the borderline of an “A” and a “B” in all three classes. I worked so hard and kept up so well until these last three weeks, when just opening a book was torture. I slipped. Now I’m sweating out the grades.

Actually, I’m sweating out more than that because I am sitting here with a damn cold.

It started so innocently. A few body aches, a scratchy throat. Then BAM!, I was hit by the Emeril Lagasse of upper respiratory infections. Afrin is my bestest friend. I can’t even taste my coffee. I slept the last 22 of 24 hours.

Anyone got some cheese for my whine….?

So, being a rational person, I decide to take only one class next sememster. No more of this self-induced hell of stress for me! Besides, I only have enough money for one class.

But….

I have to take an “ethnic studies” class for (that’s something you didn’t have to do in the ’70s) and the University of Green Bay is offering “Jazz Appreciation”!!!!

Granted, I wouldn’t know Blind Lemon Jefferson from George Jefferson, but what a great topic!!!

I don’t know diddly squat about jazz! But I’d love to learn! And this is just one itty, bitty three unit course that would go just perfectly with “Theoretical Foundations of Nursing Practice” (which sounds about as dry as a stale biscotti).

I explain it to my husband this way: with ten semester units I’m a basket case. Four semester units leave me twiddling my thumbs. Ergo…seven semester units should be perfect!

Change of Shift will be hosted by none other than Caroline at Brain Scramble. You can sent the submissions through Blog Carnival or to “caroline at brain scramble dot org”. The ones I have received I will forward to Caroline for the December 27th edition.

Now, pardon me while I cough, wheeze, cuddle up to my Afrin and generally spread misery about the countryside.

Like Roseanne Rosannadanna says: “I’m a real attractive guy!”.

• […] was just over at emergiblog reading about the classes Kim is just finishing up. I too am struggling to finish the critical care course that I’m taking. My last test in my […]

Mother Jones RN

December 19, 2007 at 9:38 am

There’s always a place for you on my unit:-)

Get will soon.

ednurseasauras

December 19, 2007 at 9:41 am

Glad I am not the only undergrad who is addicted to the 4.0. Stressful, isn’t it? One of my bosses is fond of saying “C’s for degrees”; UNACCEPTABLE, haha! Enjoy the break, I am.

rlbates

December 19, 2007 at 9:48 am

Feel better soon.

Merry Christmas!

JohnS

December 19, 2007 at 5:01 pm

As are great, Bs are fine, and Cs are, other folks not withstanding, acceptable — unless your school or department has a higher standard for ‘progress towards a degree’. (I finished my 2nd degree BSN with about 3.5, for graded classes; lots were credit/no credit. That was a bit above the class average, which was my personal goal.)

My nursing history prof said she loved teaching nurses; they were the only group who regularly turned in papers -early-.

Try to relax and recharge.

julyjazz

December 19, 2007 at 10:29 pm

Kim, I hope you feel better soon! Always enjoy what your have to say and report.

Take the Jazz class! Even though I had earned a master’s in another field,when I went to BSN degree (after earning ADN 2 years previous) I needed a fine arts course to meet degree requirements. The Jazz Appreciation course fit my schedule.

JAZZ CHANGED MY LIFE! I love it, I live it.

Like Jazz, nursing is all about improvising on a structure.

Best to you — julyjazz

Candy

December 20, 2007 at 8:28 am

“A” is for passion, and you have that in spades! It’s been so great to watch you really embrace this new path! And JulyJazz is so right! Jazz will change your life — and you’ve been listening to it for a long time without even knowing it. Starbucks is famous for their jazz imprints, and rock and roll was born out of jazz. Keep an eye on your mailbox, Grasshopper… the best is yet to come!

Jen

December 20, 2007 at 1:15 pm

Hey Kim,

If you need a warm-up for the jazz class there is an excellent series by Wynton Marsalis, Marsalis on Music (Sony, PBS). It’s geared for kids–but that just makes it better–he uses highschool orchestras and jazz ensembles. He explains the differences between jazz and orchestral music and groups. It’s about 12 years old, but I remember it from back then and it captivated my(by then adult) self and my dad–neither of us at all musical, but both appreciators of classical and jazz music. I don’t think it’s still on sale, but check your library or check amazon for used–it is SO good.

Jen

December 20, 2007 at 1:19 pm

Scratch that– it’s all on you tube starting here (and with Dutch subtitles–fun!)

Patrick at RNSpeak!

December 20, 2007 at 6:17 pm

Hey Kim – I feel your pain with the class load. I am just finishing out my 5th graduate class and have signed up for 9 semester hours next semester. I think I will be about crazy by the end for sure. But I want to graduate in 2008 – so I need to get more credits in sooner. Anyway – will be thinking about you as you finish your last paper.

moira

December 21, 2007 at 5:30 pm

I got a 3.75 this semester. I am happy with it, in the beginning I wanted a 4.0, but dad is sick, I am depressed/stressed/overwhelmed — so I am ok with my 3.75.

NPs Save Lives

December 21, 2007 at 5:57 pm

I feel your pain with the cold Kim! I did a short stint in a peds clinic the last few days and of course I caught the kiddie germs! UGH! I also was one that took WAY too many classes during the BSN and MSN and thought I would lose my mind while working full time. It too shall end! I ended up with a 3.8. Hang in there!

paulie

December 24, 2007 at 12:00 am

I too am sick with the flu this christmas. Your post makes me remember my college years: working two jobs and going to school full time. Uuuugh!
    your boss was half right: c’s get degrees and they also become bosses!
    Don’t worry about it.
    As for Jazz, let me recommend these records: Thelonious Monk at carnegie hall, John Coltran “Blue Train” and Herbie Hancock “Maiden Voyage”