February 6, 2008, 11:33 pm

I Have Enough Water Bottles, Thank You

kissack

Margaret Kissack is in a million ads – always with the same expression.

Here, she explains how to use the “indispensible” rubber water bottle.

For periodic pain, no less.

First of all, it isn’t a bottle, it’s a “bladder”.

If your patient can’t figure out that you put water in the bag and then put the stopper in the hole, you have your work cut out for you as a nurse educator.

It amazes me how nurses were trusted figures of authority in advertisements…

But expected to give doctors their seat on the wards.

Soon it will be time for Nurse’s Week and we all know what that means.

Yes, I’ll wear my cap.

But it also means that all over the country, nurses will be receiving key chains and water bottles and tote bags and T-shirts touting their facility’s love for their nursing staff.

Either that or the company logo.

Ever wonder where they get that stuff?

Well! I found a catalog at the nurses’ station last week that is a veritable cornucopia of gifty goodies for nurses (and other groups that don’t get paid much and work their butts off, including volunteers).

Actually the merchandise looks pretty nice as long as your hospital is willing to pay for more than a key chain or a water bottle.

But it was what was attached to the catalog that had me falling off my chair laughing.

It was an “Event Planning Guide” for Nurses Week activities.

Let me share some of them with you!

I’m not making these up.

• Fun On Wheels – “Organize a wheelchair relay race in a parking lot or in a wide hallway. Set up a ‘race track’ and on the day of the race, divide up the nurses into teams. Use a clipboard or ruler as a baton. Provide each participant with a…water bottle and give winners….insulated lunch bags.”

Yep, nothing says “Professional Nursing” like the site of a bunch of RNs rolling down the hill of the parking lot in wheelchairs!

• Think Outside the Box – “Challenge your nursing staff to come up with silly uses for everyday equipment…get them to create a list of 101 ways to use a bedpan….at the end of the week, gather them around and read the lists aloud so everyone can have a chuckle…pass out (wait for it….)…water bottles or deluxe lunch bags to all nursing staff present.”

Oh yes, I want so much to have a chuckle at work. Tee-hee and ho-ho. Silly, silly nurses! How about we list 101 things that would make our jobs more rewarding and administration actually listens. Hard to put the logo on that ……

• Out of Character – “Let them [nurses] dress up at the end of the week…nurses won’t be able to wear any outfit that’s too crazy so, at the start of the week, give each nurse a…scrub top. Require them to wear this shirt on dress up day, but to be sure not to wear anything that will hinder their ability to work. Hold a costume contest and allow them to vote for their three favorites. Give winners…red microfleece blankets.”

Criminy, that’s what I want to see if I’m a patient. Nurses in costumes. I love the attitude…let them, require them, allow them. How about I let you staff my unit correctly while requiring you to pay me adequately and allow you to kiss my derriere in the process?

• Cajun Celebration - “…purchase inexpensive stings of beads and give out one to each nurse for every day worked during the week….pass out buttons….to spice up their scrubs…serve a Louisiana-style luncheon…provide nurses with [notice the new twist on water bottles] motivational message tumblers to drink beverages out of during the meal.”

Yeah, and get Emeril Lagasse to cook the lunch. Do I have to flash my boobs upper region to get the beads? Why not have the patients just throw them at us? It’s about the same level of dignity. I don’t need any logo-bearing buttons to spice up my scrubs, either. I find that blood, stool, urine and emesis – you know, the stuff that I deal with as I do professional nursing care?- is pretty much all the “spice” I need, thank you.

• Handy Work – “Using notepad paper, have patients or residents make outlines of their hands…have them write their names and a message of thanks…when all of the hand drawings are complete, hang them in a common area…along with a …poster…give each nurse a stationery set of his or her own.”

Where the hell do we work, at a freakin’ preschool? Handprints? From adults? A bunch of adult-sized handprints hanging on the wall? Forget the stationery. The only paper I need from my place of employment is the paper that has my check printed on it.

Oh, there’s a few more, but I’m disgusted with the four examples I gave.

Ask yourself this: have you ever heard of these type of suggestions made to honor doctors?

I didn’t think so.

We have a loooong way to go.

judysherman

February 7, 2008 at 9:39 am

I once worked in a hospital where the nurses WASHED THE DOCTORS” CARS during doctor’s day!

Caroline

February 7, 2008 at 10:57 am

This is an awesome, eye-opening post. WOW. Thanks…

annemiek

February 7, 2008 at 6:06 pm

That is just so insulting, does anybody do those things in their hospital???

Nurse on Wheels

February 7, 2008 at 6:48 pm

That was hilarious. We once got toenail clippers with the hospital name on them. Nail clippers!
    All I ever want is a new pair of trauma scissors and a free cup ‘o joe at the fancy shmancy coffee shop in the hospital.
    It’s funny how we all don’t really want much, just the necessary conditions to do our jobs well. And they spend so much money on crap every year.
    Sigh…

Beth

February 8, 2008 at 3:26 am

That was both hilarious and horrifying. Excuse me while I go take a sip out of my motivational message tumbler.

Nurse + Blog = PixelRN

February 8, 2008 at 3:45 am

[...] at Emergiblog has an excellent post on cheesy marketing ideas for nurses week. Please go read, “I have enough water bottles, thank you,” immediately. Because 15 is only the [...]

Mother Jones RN

February 8, 2008 at 5:51 am

Imagine a hospital trying to get their doctors to wear cheap beads and race around the parking lot in wheelchairs. Ha! And people wonder why there is a nursing shortage.

Well, duh!

MJ

Beth

February 8, 2008 at 10:39 am

I have a white platic pasta server with my hospital logo. How heartwarming.

Carol

February 8, 2008 at 12:07 pm

They used to throw us a tea where I worked. Of course the nurses rarely got to go because they were so busy taking care of the patients. That day usually meant extra work for us because we had to pick up the slack so the PCT’s could go. Of course the administrators all went and had a wonderful time. Then they would come up on the unit and say “You really should try to get down there.” Most of them were nurses but none of them ever offered to pitch in so we could go.

Joanne

February 8, 2008 at 2:39 pm

Kim, you always have great posts! I enjoyed this one.

AlisonH

February 8, 2008 at 5:21 pm

How. Could. They… Wow. And to the first commenter, I can only fervently hope the doctors washed the nurses’ cars on their day in return.

• Ed
    Ed

February 9, 2008 at 7:39 am

Thanks for the post and finding the 101 “ideas” — My idea is burn the booklet. No really, nurses all over the place wonder why they don’t get the respect we deserve. I often persoanlly put the blame on organizations (like the author of the list) for not helping us progress our professional position. No, that position isn’t putting on beads (what do the guys have to do to get them?), racing around in wheel chairs… funny if you did that any other day of the year you’d get fired (and didn’t they already do that on MASH?).

Steve

February 9, 2008 at 12:11 pm

So….we all want to be respected for the job we do. And we don’t want to be “put down” for being nurses. We all want to be respected for our knowlege.
    So why do we put up with nurse week garbage like the stuff in this post????
    Why don’t we refuse to accept ANY of the schtuff that they try to pawn off on us?
    What would the suit and ties say if NONE of the nurses took the water bottles, deluxe lunch bags, etc, ad nauseum?????????
    Send a clear message to the ivory tower this year and refuse to accept their bribes. Refuse to be placated with trifles. Refuse to be disrespected.
    If they really want to be gracious and thankful for our years of loyalty…then let them pay us $10.00 a year for every year we’ve worked for them. Now wouldn’t THAT be a great nurses week present?

Steve

Adrienne Zurub

February 10, 2008 at 12:34 pm

Oh Kim, you frickin’ ROCK!

What can I say?!

I’ve been the victim…err, nurse invited to nurses ‘Ice Cream Socials’ where every nurse received her/his designated ‘one scoop’ or one ice cream bar upon showing her/his badge, at a ‘world-class’ institution! Yippee!

Oh yeah, provided you could GET to the ‘Ice Cream Social’! (And NO, I never went!)

You are so right. We have so far to go. How effin insulting!

Never saw an ice cream social for the cardiac surgeons.

Adrienne
    (former cardiacbitch…so what!)

Pam

February 10, 2008 at 12:36 pm

A hospital in South Carolina gave all the nurses a $600.00 bonus for nurses week. They wanted their nurses to know how much they wanted to retain their services.

bev

February 10, 2008 at 2:39 pm

we’re having a competition between shifts to see if we can increase patient satisfaction numbers. Guess what one of the prizes is????? yep…a water bottle.

Anne

February 11, 2008 at 6:12 am

Yes, this is unfortunately not that uncommon… our dept. had a Thanksgiving luncheon in November and before we got to the troughs o’ food, we had to take two construction paper leaves and write one thing we were thankful for in our lives, and one we were thankful for at work, and stick it on a construction paper ‘tree’ on the wall. Which means…one of the administrative secretaries (or worse, one of the administrators) got paid their usual hourly wage for cutting out construction paper leaves.
    What made it all worth it–one of the leaves said, “I’m thankful I haven’t been fired.”

NPs Save Lives

February 11, 2008 at 9:44 am

We would get little tote bagg or mugs for nurse’s week at the hospital that I worked at. The managers would walk around with ice cream every now and then too. I wish they would stop spending the money on stupid things and actually pay the nursing and support staff better.

laurin

February 11, 2008 at 7:58 pm

I have always felt like our “gifts” were free advertisement for our hospital. By the way the correct term for the “logo-bearing buttons to spice up our uniforms” would be “flair”. (if you haven’t seen office space, you really must…)

jessica

February 12, 2008 at 3:14 am

I think my hospital takes the cake. One year for nurses week we got a cheap flashlight and wait for it…a piece of free stuff from the drug reps. You know like sticky notes or a great big green pill(that was mine we called it the bull supository.

• MJ
    MJ

February 18, 2008 at 6:16 am

“The best way to see change is to be a part of it.”

Sure, these unprofessional attempts at recognition are not the best. However, why not suggest reasonable ways nurses can be recognized during nurses’ week (and yes, there is doctors’ week). If a hospital cannot come up with $600 bonus for each nurse, what would make you happy? What could a hospital do that would taken as a sincere gesture of appreciation. I was a hospital administrator for 23 years prior to becoming a nurse at a prestigous, top ten pediatric hospital. Unbeknowst to the nursing population, physicians were told they were given a REDUCTION in pay because of budget constraints. I’ve not heard of that being pushed off on nurses.

If you don’t like what your hospital is doing to try to recognize your efforts, then stop complaining and give administration ideas as to what you would like!

Jamie

May 8, 2008 at 12:40 pm

Last year was laughable. We got a insulated blanket with logo of course. I guess the fact that it is 70+ degrees outside escaped their notice. I cannot complain this year because I won a facial in one of the many raffles. Of course, the hospital does not pay for those. The appreciation committee goes to companies and they donate them to the nurses. I guess the community likes us better than our employer.

Beverly

May 8, 2008 at 1:37 pm

2 years ago, all of the nurses had the choice of hand and foot massages or a body massage.

• PJ
    PJ

May 8, 2008 at 3:49 pm

One glorious year our hospital posted memos stating we would receive free manicures and facials and free beauty and health products.
    Unfortunately it turned out to be a sneaky way to sell us Mary Kay and Avon. The drug reps were there to pitch us free pens…. What an honor.
    I agree, we should refuse these petty gifts and demand higher pay and far better staffing ratios.

Lisa

May 8, 2008 at 3:58 pm

Last year the nursing staff recieved pizza cutters with the a logo that had nothing to do with nurses week. We found out that some corporate type ordered to many for a previous campaign, so what did they do? Gave them out to the nurses during Nurses Week in order to get rid of them and to make us feel appreciated. GIVE ME A BREAK….. What makes that okay?

beverly

May 8, 2008 at 8:47 pm

we got calendars for 2008 with the hospital logo and pictures. Unfortunately, we got them in May. Must have been leftovers they couldn’t get rid of.

Jordana

May 8, 2008 at 9:50 pm

I work at a hospital where our customer service administrator walks around to meetings and sometimes to the floors, where patients and family members are in full view, to present us with candy and get this…..a majic wand that plays musical sounds! A toy that I would give to my 1 year old daughter! WOW! what a professional, empowering and respectful signal that sends to the nursing staff!!!!!!!

Mary

May 8, 2008 at 10:31 pm

Mary

May 8, 2008 at 10:32 pm

I can top most of these wasted gifts. about 12 years ago some food was provided in the cafateria and at the end of the line Administration handed each nurse (hope your sitting down) A SINGLE PACKAGE OF ONION LIPTON SOUP MIX AND A VERY TINY SAMPLE BOTTLE PONDS HAND LOTION). The nurses have never been so humiliated!!!! We would rather have nothing than that!

kaye

May 9, 2008 at 12:02 am

All i can say is…is it better to be given no recognition or some in expensive gifts? i have worked in hospitals that did nothing for you.

Debbie

May 9, 2008 at 2:51 am

OoooooH…Somebody’s bitter! No, really. I do agree with all of these posts owing to the fact that I have thrown out many a water bottle and have given my insulated lunch bags to Good Will (along with the cheap totes that are usually made of a paper-type fabric). I have always felt disrespected at hospitals. In fact, the only reason that I remain a nurse is when a patient tells me, “You’re such a good nurse, really kind and caring. Thank you for being my nurse today.” These statements remind me of why I stay a nurse…not to “please” administration.

Lisa

May 9, 2008 at 4:01 am

COMMENT FOR NURSE DEBBIE AND OTHERS WHO THINK AS SHE DOES (If there is any one).

I stay a nurse because I know that I can make a difference and I am good at it. I don’t need praise from management, but it would be nice to feel appreciated for the 60 plus hour weeks, the 16 hour shifts, the patient-nurse ratios that should be illegal in every state, etc. I think anyone who says that the only reason they stay a nurse is for that wonderful “You’re such a good nurse… Thank you for being my nurse today” from a patient either has someone helping to support her, she/he has no other responsibilities, or she rarely works overtime (mandatory). I am sure it is all worth it to hear the wonderful comments from the grateful patiets when she missed her son’s baseball game, her daughters recital, anniversary dinner with her significant other because of an admit or another nurse called in sick. Be real and think about what you are saying. I love being a nurse but I want to feel appreciated by the people who I work with and for. Give me the 25 cents you paid for the silly water bottle, etc. that way I won’t have the guilt of contributing to the horrible landfill situation we are in today. Give me the hour I need to see my daughters graduation or whatever. We are so not BITTER! We are concerned for the lack of concern for our welfare. Who will do the job we know and love when we burn out? Some naive nurse who thinks patient thanks is enough. If that is all you want I will send you my bank info and you can just deposit your paycheck into it. Hey then you would have someone else telling you what a good nurse you are. Most of us are in touch with reality….

PSMITH

May 9, 2008 at 4:05 am

the best way for nurses to get appreciation is to show it to each other every day through collaboration and support at all levels of management and administration

Lisa

May 9, 2008 at 4:17 am

RECOGNITION

Keep the ridiculous gifts and tell me “thank you”. Don’t thank me and hire another nurse to relieve some of the work load so we can have a 15 minute lunch (even though you dock us for a 30 minute lunch). Some places do not apprecate what we do- as nurses (on the whole). Is it okay that we are not being thanked or appreciated by management. NO it is not okay. We let it happen. We continue the typical Nightengale syndrome. Help others and sacrifice ourselves. There is no reason that we can’t help others and help ourselves is there? We should not be asking for respect from management and the huge health corporations- We should command it. It took past two years for the nurses where I work to do just that. It feels great. I am just sad and angered that there are those out there who are willing to settle.

Lisa

May 9, 2008 at 4:28 am

Is there any one out there who thinks that helping each other every day through collaboration and support at all levels of management and administration is what is going on. Who ever made that comment in this blog must work in management/administration or is aspiring to. Come on! Think! That would be ideal. We would all love it. IT JUST IS NOT HAPPENING. Someone is always low person on the totem pole. Guess what as nurses we are the first to be thrown under the bus and we will continue to be because we don’t think for ourselves. We could be the strongest organization in this country, but we side swipe each other everyday. We are MSN, BSN, ADN, LVN, LPN, etc. which shows our diversity in education, but we have all have a commonality…WE ARE NURSES. We need to stop stripping away any chance we have to ever command the respect and safe working conditions that we deserve that will benefit us, our families, our patients, etc.

Nancy

May 9, 2008 at 4:46 am

I just want to add one thing to all of these comments. I work midnights, and for all of us, the “spa days” and other perks that day shift gets somehow bypasses us, and I know you other night shift nurses know what I mean. If you think you don’t get any respect, try working nights. Plus the day shift a lot of times passes on things for us to do they just didnt’ want to do, but say they were “too busy”. I think nurses need to respect each other first. I agree with the one blogger, who is management, tell them what you want. I got an umbrella last year, of course with their logo on it. I would rather have had a $100 check. That way I could pay the bills. Or additional staffing at night which for some reason is cut to below minimum. We still have the same # of patients. Duh!

Ann Will

May 9, 2008 at 7:31 am

I have been a nurse for 26 years. I just took 2 years off due to illness. Now I am looking for another job and everywhere seems to think that I am so dumb I have forgotten everything I learned in ICU, home health, MHMR, and investigating nursing homes. That just goes to show that we are not respected for our experience and hard work. I do not think that any teacher would have the same problem as me. I respect teachers very much but am very tired of hearing about how underpaid etc they are. You never hear about how overworked we are. How much we have to learn new due to expanding technology at the same time as we are taking care of the patients. The extreme responsibility that rests on our shouders, and the lack of respect we receive from administration.

Beth

May 9, 2008 at 7:47 am

That blog was freakin’ hilarious. Thanks for a great laugh! All nurses should forward this on to ALL coworkers (which is how I was made aware) not only for the laugh, but so administration also gets it and gets a hint of the level of frustration that is across the board. I think my institution does a fair attempt at trying to show it’s appreciation, but I too have enough crap to last me a lifetime from ‘appreciation’ gifts.

Cheryl RN

May 9, 2008 at 8:23 am

Love the blog!! I said to my nurse manager just the other day (she is very empathetic and understands our frustrations) “When are they going to start throwing the food at us?” and she said, “Oh, its on the way”. Of course it is. Food (massive quantities of ice cream, pizza, doughnuts,bagels,cake) are so much cheaper than real salaries reflective of our professionalism and dedication. Besides, arene’t we all just food/sweet junkies who can be pacified with such meaningless gestures?
    And guess what, I received a lovely (cheap)key ring with a hospital logo from my other job at THE BIG CITY WEALTHY HOSPITAL, and an offer to choose from a hat,lunch bag, or sports bag; all with the logo of the hospital! Yippee!!!! I’m so excited, I can hardly contain myself. Oh,I forgot, we also received a single long stemmed rose…
    What do we want??Money,honey, and the respect that goes with it. I have bill to pay, too.

Bri RN

May 9, 2008 at 10:01 am

I agree that there is a huge consumer drive behind the Nurses Week gifts, but I also give a little props to the “event planners” for trying to find some ways to liven up the celebration. I would be all for a wheelchair race…why not also try it while wheeling 2 IV poles and wound vac in tow? Is it an obstacle course where I also have to grab a warm blanket, the chart, talk on the phone at the same time and dodge elevator doors, other gurneys rolling across the floor and lost visitors. Oh wait, I already have mastered that day to day! Oh, wait, they didn’t mean with a patient in them, they meant I am racing in it! Hmmm, that might be fun, but I agree they could come up with something that isn’t so hokey.
    At the same time, I think we do not do enough playing around in our jobs/when we celebrate, and I think this was just an attempt to get people together and try to think outside the box too.
    Besides, when you get all huffy and puffy for the ‘disregard of professionalism’ I think you need to remember this was a product catalog, not some publishment put out by the Chief of Staff.

I also agree that I would far rather be recognized in some other way than a Lipton packet of soup or a travel sized photo holding clip (yep, that was our gift for a patient privacy learning module). For all it’s worth, I’d rather have a lunch provided with the hospital management and my boss serving it. BETTER YET, lets get a booth where they can get tomatoes thrown at them. Woohoo! I’d be all in!

Kathie

May 9, 2008 at 11:35 am

The nurse who works nights. Who hasn’t worked night shift. I do remember getting left out of the pizza, snadwiches etc. or they would be served on the nights I didn’t work. Yes, nights has the same # of patients but nights also does not have admin walking around and all the visitors (family is sometimes not fun) extra support staff everywhere AND most of the patients are sleeping. Some aren’t and they can be a lot of work but if I hadn’t already done my share of night shift and have family to take care of my preferred shift would be nights….
    As far as all the goodies go, if that is all the recognition we get, oh well. I would rather get a $25 gift certificate somewhere but hey that was our Christmas bonus so can’t expect it twice a year. What I don’t like is what happened the other night. I was working the 9 – 9 shift and an ER doc called and got latte’, frappachino (sp) orders from the night nurses who came on at 7P. These were delivered just before 8PM, yet the three nurses who were working until 9P, 10P and midnight we not included in this. Talk about hurt feelings.
    I love my job and I am good at it also. But when new nurses just out of school make so close to the same amount of money I do after 20 years that is not right.
    ADN, BSN…we all took the same test…hello…..

Helen

May 9, 2008 at 1:09 pm

Our profession certainly has changed in the last 27 years I have been a nurse. It is not for the better. I work harder than ever and every day more is demanded of me. For our Nurses week the Hospital we work at did next to nothing. So each department picked another department and went there and provided a service or meal to them. It was a bomb to say the least. I would like to not receive any more cheesy gift and be treated like a professional……….

Caruilin

May 9, 2008 at 5:12 pm

This blog is fabulous. I’ve been a nurse for 27 years and work at a suburban hospital owned by the largest for profit health care company in the country. Keep in mind that for the year 2006 they made 4.4 BILLION dollar profit. For nurses week the last 3 years they provided each nursing unit with a large wicker basket and a note with a theme attached-, for example- a day at the beach, a picnic lunch, etc. We were expected to by items to fill the baskets with items we pruchased and then they would raffle off the baskets. Can you believe it? $4.4 billion and we had to supply our own presents for Nurses Week! I refused to participate. This year we didn’t even get that. Just another tacky gift with the company logo on it. Just give me adequate staffing and a refrigerator that works. The refrig in the nurses lounge broke and they don’t know when or if they can replace it !! I also work night shift and no events are ever scheduled at times that are convient for us. If we want to participate we have to come in on our own time. Not happening!! I hate Nurses Week. Don’t try to suck up to me one week out of the year. Treat me with dignity respect and pay me what I deserve all year long!!

ejane

May 9, 2008 at 9:05 pm

I got a small zippered change purse with hospital logo. Wow, Lisa–you sound bitter after working your long hours and overtime and missing out on very, VERY important occasions! I don’t blame you, but you do NOT HAVE to do that!!! If you are not able to work overtime (due to a personal commitment), then management might be forced to come in and work with patients. I worked in a hospital where this actually happened. I’m sure you are a great nurse, but you need not feel like you need to do everything yourself.

Sally Thierer

May 9, 2008 at 11:14 pm

We had a nurses breakfast which half of us cant attend due to our schedule or because of patient care. I did come in yesterday to a fattening big pink bag of “tootsie rolls” to thank us for our “roll” in caring for our patients. At least it wasn’t a water bottle. I agree with ejane–we don’t want you to kiss our a– once a year with stupid little meaningless gestures. Give us the staff, the equipment, the educational opportunities, the respect of the doctors–to do our jobs well–every day of the year. Most of us aren’t asking for more money. That’s the funny thing–we just want better working conditions, respect for our role in the healthcare system and the acknowledgement of our education and hard, not always pleasant work that we do everyday to care for our patients. The very, very, few times management has pitched in and helped us with meds, patient care or paperwork, it would have been easier to do it ourselves. How can you manage a group of people when you really don’t know–or don’t care to learn–what they do in the trenches every single day? Medications were missed, paperwork was a nightmare and patient care was seriously compromised. There is literally a handful of management that knows what we do, how to do it, what we need to get it done, and that can pitch in and actually be helpful in a crisis. The rest are a complete waste. I love what I do; I don’t like the conditions in which I have to do my job.

Nancy

May 10, 2008 at 5:17 am

By the way, I went to work tonight and received a beach towel with the hospital logo in it! At least it’s not an umbrella, which we got 2 years running!

Helen

May 10, 2008 at 6:37 am

I wanted to follow up on the nurses lounge mentioned above. I too work for a hospital that is making a huge profit which is rare these days. In our lounge we have a two seated sofa that was soaked with a toilet that overflowed. Our refigerator is an old specimen refigerator that has a smell that is just not of this earthly plane…. We have to share our lounge with 3 other departments and now they wheel the EP lab patients right by with the door open while we are eating. I feel like a goldfish in a bowl! The Dr’s and Anesthesia come in since we rarely get our breaks and lunch and eat anything that we may have brought in to share with each other. They drain the coffee pot and leave it to burn and then we are told to clean it up. I will not sit in there anymore. I leave for my break and lunch and do NOT come back until my time is up. Also, if you are sitting there the sales reps come in to discuss products and ask you to hook them up with surgeons! NO peace at all. A typical day starts like this, If you park on the yellow line the security gaurd gives you a pink slip, then 4 out of 5 days there are no scrubs and you have to call and beg linen to bring some. When you get into the OR you have to clean and stock your room before you start you cases for the day. You are summoned to pick up your pt and you still don’t have the equipment that you need to do the case.Remember all this happens in a 15 minute window! If you are missing something management encourages you to “make it happen” with out it. In between cases there is usually no one to help move large sick pt’s or clean the room. It is physically and emotionally draining. The average age is 46 in my department and physically breaking down quickly.
    Lately we have banded together and we won’t clean the rooms or do anything that enables managements bad behavior. It is a wonderful feeling. I highly recommend it! This allows us to focus on Pt care, quality care if you can imagine that! If nurses commit to sticking to the cause and do not continue to “Make it happen with a tooth pick and some gum” something will change…………….

Nurses week for us too was purchasing and serving another department, I did NOT participate!

Lisa

May 10, 2008 at 6:57 am

Dear Elaine– Bitter – NO. Think good staff should be appreciated. You bet I do. I do not choose to work on such occasions. Ever heard of MANDATORY OVERTIME…Well that is how it is done. I have wonderful committed nurses who work along side me and they have that nasty MO to work as well. Besides working your 40 hours- you have to sign up for 16 on call hours as well. You are right though. I do have a choice. I can QUIT. I am not sure how my family would survive being the lone supporter, but hey it is my choice. Right?

Lisa

May 10, 2008 at 6:58 am

Helen- Good for you.

Lisa

May 10, 2008 at 7:30 am

FoR Elaine (contiued)

That is full time hours+ 4 hours mandatory overtime + having to sign up for 16 on-call hours per month. If you don’t sign up the hours are assigned to you. I work 7P-7A shift and getting someone to work for you is not that simple. Sometimes I can trade hours but only if management approves it. I can only trade with charge personnel and there are not many of us. Very few nurses are fortunate enough to have management that cares enough to come in and work for us, on there down time. At least we know you have it easier- I am happy for you.

For Kathie

Working nights is not as simple as you lead people to believe. My regular schedule is Fri-Sat-Sun + every other Monday. I work NICU. Our assignment is heavier on nights than days. We don’t get a unit secretary to place our labs, order xrays, or do admit paperwork. We have to do all this on top of patient care. Sure they have family in and have to deal with more Docs and discharges. On nights we have to weights, hang fluids, baths, deal with families (teaching), handle the Premature infants born until transfer out or until Neos arrive. We have to be able to be able to set up the O2 from the ventilators/bubble cpap/HFNC with blender, ensure the ventilator is doing its job and the RT (who never seems to be there when paged). We have to do admits with no HUC/PCT. It is amazing how much we do and people who do not work our shift have no clue or they have forgotten because it has been so long since they worked nights or maybe they only do occasional nights. The detrimental effects that working nights has on the human body is worth a mention (proven by research). Trying to maintain a daytime schedule with your family is extremely tough, when your body is geared for nights. Maybe this is the reason that the diffs are a little higher at night time and on weekends. I don’t think it is because their are so many people wanting to work my shift or my hours. As a matter of fact we work short because rarely does anyone want the hours. I think we all have our crosses to bear. I think it is detrimental to tear down the other shift when you don’t know or remember how hard another person/nurse has it.

Ed M

May 10, 2008 at 10:40 am

Kudos AnnWill and Lisa. I believe that self improvement starts at home. Nurses have to stop fighting themselves. We have to start respecting ourselves and each other. It is easy for management to divide and conquer. Yes all these “tokens” of appreciation are trivial and demeaning, but we continue to ACCEPT them. What we really need are meaningful evaluations and RAISES. I have worked in perhaps a dozen different hospitals and rarely have any of them had meaningful raises. The max may be about a cost of living increase and any excuse is used to give less. How many of you have to jump through 101 flaming hoops to get an “evaluation”? How often does it really reflect how GOOD you do your “job”? Have you ever gotten less then you deserve because you missed one staff meeting (during your vacation of course)? Evaluations are not positive they are intended to deride you to keep wages low. At the beginning of my HC career (I’m an NP now) I had an evaluation returned to my floor mgr from upper management because it was TOO GOOD, “I would not have anything to strive for next year”. These are the real problems we have to address. How many of you are working under a labor contract? Most of us simply sign an agreement with the hospital that we will do whatever we are told. This is not professional treatment. We need comparable salaries for what we DO, not just what degree we hold. A Master plumber (not Masters in Plumbing) can charge you more per hour to rout out your sewer than a nurse gets paid for inserting an IV in a tiny premature baby. These are the problems that we have to change.

Kathie

May 10, 2008 at 10:48 am

Dear Lisa, It has only been a few months since I have worked night shift…and I know it recks havik(SP?) on your body….Where I work we do get 75 cent diff for nights but we do not get a weekend diff….on nights (we are in a small hosp) we have one nurse on at night for maybe 6-9 floor patients and also have to do the ER patients that come in, which can be 12 or sometimes more during the night. We do not have a ventilator or anything like it so we have to tube and bag…we do not have RT or LAB in the house so we do what we have to until one can be called in. We are not set up to do deliveries yet we do them when moms come in ready to pop. I do not know what a HUC/PCT is so we probably don’t have that either. I was not tearing you or anyone else down on night shift I know it can be difficult. You seem to take everything personally that everyone is saying on this BLOG…I have noticed you have more comments on it than anyone else…hmmmm. I did nights for 5 years on an L&D, Nursery unit. And have recently done nights in ER….so I am not someone who doesn’t know how difficult it can be. Also again most nurses start out on night shift…so most know what you are going through, really we do.

Nursing is a very demanding profession and as Susan said,”I love what I do, I don’t like the conditions I work in.

But Lisa I cannot see myself doing anything else…can you?

• [...] I did want to thank all those who read and commented on my Nurses Week post from February! Some great comments were left this week by both new and current readers! You can find them here. [...]

jutta

May 10, 2008 at 4:33 pm

I agree with Ed. It is up to us to strive, demand, and get what we deserve. We need to stop fighting and demean – the usual women’s stuff – each other. We need to come together. Why do guys get what they want in their respective guys careers? They stick together until they get what they want. Why are we woman not willing to do the same????

Susan

May 10, 2008 at 5:24 pm

This year Joint Commission showed up on the Monday of nurse’s week, so the awards ceremony was cancelled. I think, however, that the decorate a 2 liter bottle like a nurse competition was still held. We got a lovely flashlight and a tote bag from an area credit union not affiliated with our hospital. Touching, huh????

Cynthia

May 10, 2008 at 7:13 pm

One year at my hospital, we got sunglasses that were either neon pink, green or blue with the saying “the future’s so bright, I have to wear shades” on the side of the glasses.
    Currently, I have received a bag every year of some sort or another with the hospital logo on the side. Its better than what I got at my other hospital which hosted a dinner at the country club and a golf outing with a Mercedes for a prize if you sunk a hole in one…this was for Doctor’s day. Needless to say, it went over really well with the nurses on their day when we got a popcan cooler. You have to laugh otherwise you’d be going out of your mind!!!

Lisa

May 11, 2008 at 5:50 am

COMMENT:

Kathie, I don’t take your remarks personally I don’t have an opinion one way or another as to what you think. I was simply making a statement for the person your reply diminished. I am sure that was not your intention but it seemed as though she was affected by your comment. I guess words hurt and we should watch how we use them.
    I find it incredulous that such a small hospital as yours would have such high acuity cases brought to your ER. I guess you guy have to bag for a long time until they can be transferred or find a ventilator. It is a good thing I was taught at a large hospital. I am glad that I have the skills and educational background to do what I do, but it gets tough. The HUC is a unit secretary (for day shift M-F), a PCT is like a nurse aide which we never get either on nights or weekends. I have worked nights for many years as well and I won’t stop until I have to. I think nights deserves quality nursing. Many times we have to become very creative when a 23-24 weeker comes through the ER and of course ER staff here is not capable of dealing with that do not deal with that. If they do they probably blow a pneumo bagging. Is yours the only hospital around?

I am glad that you take an interest in my comments. I am sorry if they offend you. They are not meant to. I just comment on things that are important to me. I try not to dismiss people feelings or thoughts, because to me they are just as important. The comment you made to the person who had a complaint about the treatment of night personnel was a little dismissive of her feeling/thoughts. There has been and will continue to be ongoing disagreement among night and day staff about the work load. I guess it is very subjective and extremely dependent upon whether you are with a large hospital or a little one, etc. Good luck with your day job and hope you don’t have to battle the horrible ER conditions anymore.

I will continue with the comments if you don’t mind. I find it therapeutic. It is a blog– Right?

Kathie

May 11, 2008 at 9:53 am

Dear Lisa,
    I do not know to whom you are referring when you say my comments “diminished” someone and that “she” was affected by my comments. Unfortunately I must have missed the entry where anyone else but you has commented on my entry??

Yes, we are a small rural hopsital and we do very well until transport can arrive. Those of us in rural hospitals across this country learn to do without and still give very good care. We are the only hospital within a 60+ mile radius, so people come to us with very diversified problems. I realize you work at a much larger hospitals but there are many areas in our country where rural hospitals are the only ones available. And when people are in need it is difficult for them to travle 60+ miles with a acute GI Bleed or when they are having an MI or have been hurt in a tractor accident or whatever…. So you can believe it or not we get GSW, MVA victims and stabbings and whatever else comes along. We serve quite a large area of space with many 1,000′s of people but some trauma are shipped Careflight when they can get them at the scene or we stabilize and they fly in to transfer patients to larger hospitals which are 90 miles away. But we are able to take care of people with the little equip we have, we have no other choice.

We have quality nurses who have learned on what you might say are “the front lines” of rural nursing. I think your comment of nights “deserve quality nursing” was a bit rude, are you saying we must not have quality nursing if only one nurse is on??
    I worked L&D in AZ and we had to ship 23-24 wk old neo’s out but still again had to deal with them until someone came to take them…you do what you have to do and you become very inventive and skilled (as I am sure you know).

Your comments do not offend me you just seem very naive even though you say you have been a nurse for years. We all do what we have to to maintain good or excellent nursing standards.

I have not dismissed anyone’s feelings. A person perspective of what they have to deal with is their perspective and no one can change that be it good or bad. Just like a patient’s pain level, if they say they are having pain, they are having pain.

I have no idea to whom you are speaking about my comment to thenight shift person, “the comment you made to the person who had a complaint about the treatment of night personnel was a little dismissive of her feeling/thoughts.”…you are the only person I was talking to and again I wasn’t being demeaning in any fashion…just prospective but again you take everything to heart.

YOUR ending comment to me, “Good luck with
    your day job and hope you don’t have to battle the horrible ER conditions anymore.” Was very nasty and certainly not called for.

I agree with Ed this shouldn’t be arguments or nasty attitudes and comments between us, we are all fighting the same battles and this blog was to discuss this not run each other down but you seem to have a corner on that…just read your last comment to me…it was rude!

The other ED I work in is in a larger hosptial. I have three jobs. I also work Emergency Air Lift which transports patients from rural hospitals to larger ones in Reno, Vegas and Sacramento, San Francisco, Los Angeles, etc…and those of us who work on planes are albe to take care of ventilated patients without RT also…AMAZING!

You can continue any comments you like but please be as courteous to others as you expect us to be to you. We all work hard and do not deserve our fellow nurses to run us down…none of even knows to whom we are speaking and do not know their individual circumstances…you sound like you are stuck in a job you do not like and I am sorry about that…but please do not take it out on us. I hope you have better days ahead.

HAPPY MOTHER’s Day to all… I am working today as I am sure many others are as well…..

Kim

May 11, 2008 at 1:49 pm

Ah, one of the problems with internet communication becomes evident – one I’ve struggled with often. It is very difficult to get across what one is trying to say without the usual cues of body language and tone of voice.

Every single nurse who has commented here has my utmost respect and I learn more than you know from colleagues who take the time to voice their opinion.

Night, day, med-surg or ER. Small town hospital or large teaching facility – we use (and gain) different talents to accommodate different patient populations.

Basically, what I’m trying to say is that we all rock. : )

Adrienne Zurub

May 11, 2008 at 3:23 pm

Okay Ladies, (Kathie, Lisa, Everyone!)
    …come on, come on right NOW!
    Meet you at poolside!
    and
    a wet, sweaty Pina Colada is waiting between the tight, tan thighs of ____(insert name of choice).
    Ohhh, look at those rectus abdominus muscles!

Happy Mother’s Day!

Kathie

May 11, 2008 at 4:28 pm

Thanks..Kim and Adrienne…a Pina Colada sounds GREAT!! Yeah, let’s all meet and have a good time… We all work hard and deserve respect from each other….Thanks again Kim and Adrienne!

Lisa

May 12, 2008 at 5:33 am

Kathie-

I was a little defensive for the blogger Nancy May 9th. She ignored it and so should I have.

Adrienne- That does sound great! Thanks for the intervention.

Kathie

May 12, 2008 at 9:17 am

Absolutely no problem, I can understand your frustration. You are probably a really great nurse but apparently do not get much appreciation for your hard work. I appreciate what you and all the other hardworking nurses across this country do to keep the respect that most people have for our profession across the board. We just have to know that we are doing a good job and helping people and be okay with that. Cannot expect to get appreciation from others it would be nice but if that is what you sre trying to get just know I APPRECIATE YOU and all my fellow nurses….I love my job, yes there are times I am so tired and frustrated not sure I want to continue but I know I wouldn’t want to do anything else.

Take Care of yourself Lisa and so should everyone else. Remember you are all appreciated whether anyone tells you or not. We make peoples lives a little easier when they are sick in so many aspects.
    Yes, I am one of those that likes to hear people say thank you. We do not hear thank you enough. But I don’t have to hear them to know I am helping someone; seeing someone improve or survive for another day to spend with their family is a wonderful feeling.

I do apologize to anyone I may have offended or upset with my comments but we all have things we may not like about our particular jobs, but it is what we do and hopefully someday things will be better.

• BB
    BB

May 12, 2008 at 1:58 pm

I agree with Lisa (May 9 at 4:28). Nurses need to unite. How powerful we would be! What great changes we could accomplish. If nurses would unite nation wide, from West coast to East coast, from North to South we could get a lot done. We would have the respect from doctors that we deserve, the nurse to patient ratio patients need, and the pay we need.
    How is it that millions of illegal immigrants, united nation wide a few years ago to fight for their cause (never mind that they all were law breakers by coming here illegally) and got national coverage and attention, yet millions of educated nurses cannot do the same. Instead we all just sit and complain about working conditions, complain about each other and nothing ever changes. Come on now, lets get with the program, there is power in numbers. Unite, nation wide.

Kate

May 12, 2008 at 6:03 pm

I once asked my manager if we could get bonuses (like any other company does) when we as a department (L&D) had a week where we took well above our maximum acuity and yet pulled it off without any incidents. She told me we get bonuses every year – I was thoroughly confused until I realized she was talking about our step-increase (cost of living) raise negotiated by our union. Not a bonus, honey, and barely cost of living. Why can’t we even get the 50 cent every 6 month raise I used to get as a courtesy clerk in High school?
    Every other job I have ever had is so much more competitive for employees than nursing institutions, even with our “shortage.” I especially liked working in computer customer service – in an 8 hour day we got a half hour paid lunch, and we got merit based pay raises.
    I have to say that the unions I have worked under do about nothing to improve work conditions or pay rates – once I was told by a union rep that I had to decide what was more important for them to argue for, to keep our current vacation benefits or to have a time clock so we could punch out for lunch. (I wanted one of those because they had taken it out when they realized we got paid for un-taken lunches when we had the time clock). Needless to say I think that collective bargaining for nurses is a crock of excrement. I pay a union to keep things that I already have – no advancements? What a waste of money.
    As for hospitals themselves, I even suggested that they send thank-you messages to the team via e-mail and they wouldn’t even go that far. As soon as you make a suggestion like that, they ask you to do it or just mutter something that sounds like it could be agreement while they are walking off to a “meeting.”
    As for the administrator-turned-nurse from above, does it make it right that the hospital docked pay for doctors? Is that supposed to make us happy? That shouldn’t happen either, and I think it promotes unhealthy relationships with the physicians if you make it sound like we are whining when they are sacrificing. How many Physicians packed it up?
    Promoting a bad environment by saying there are starving kids in Africa shouldn’t work anymore. We still need someone to very loudly remark that we don’t get our breaks, work extra hours and often are questioned with hostility about them. This goes against labor laws in Washington state and yet still no one gets dinged on it. I would like every hospital to prove they comply with labor laws, but most accrediting agencies here are still trying to ensure our medication error rates come under control, and that treatments are appropriate.
    We as nurses can only do what time allows when we have too heavy a workload – it’s time for our “support” aka the people who organize and run the the hospitals to wake up and fix things, not just identify our shortcomings.
    I think it would be nice (and I may just get up the courage to do it one of these days) to call my local TV stations and newspapers to see if they would work on a story just about nurses not getting their breaks. I am sure the public at large would have something to say to hospitals about that, and no, I’m not above shaming them into doing the right thing.
    My mom (also a nurse) once told me there is no such thing as a nursing shortage – just a shortage of good jobs to be had as a nurse (meaning work environments. I continue to think she is right.
    One more thing – I do hate to see it when we infight. Unfortunately, I think the culture in Nursing has included infighting for years, and it is especially hard for people who routinely “eat their young” to realize this isn’t something that is accepted behavior in any single other industry – there it is called harassment and is dealt with. If the harassment isn’t dealt with by management, management is dealt with as well by legal teams. Just the way things work in the real world.

shell

May 13, 2008 at 7:19 pm

Ok- heRe you go- we got a cow one year- no not the milk or beef producing kind but the kind that you can queeze so that all the stressors of the day (from working short staffed , administrators breathing down your neck-) would finally go away since nothing else could possibly work! This ended up being invaluable though I have to tell you since all of the other gifts for nurses week now will be compared to this. Believe it or not water bottles, totes, first aid kits, pens etc….are a great gift, and at least useful.

shell

May 13, 2008 at 7:21 pm

shell
    May 13, 2008 at 7:19 pm
    Ok- here you go- we got a cow one year- no not the milk or beef producing kind but the kind that you can squeeze so that all the stressors of the day (from working short staffed , administrators breathing down your neck-) would finally go away since nothing else could possibly work! This ended up being invaluable though, I have to tell you since all of the other gifts for nurses week now will be compared to this. Believe it or not water bottles, totes, first aid kits, pens etc.…are a great gift, and at least useful.

Cathy Glasson

May 14, 2008 at 5:59 am

Hey Kim,
    As you can see, we recently promoted this post in a national Value Care RN email. I hope you don’t mind! We just loved it so much, and thought other RNs would get a kick out of it during Nurses Week.

Thanks again for the fantastic blogging. I think we managed to rope in a few dozen new readers.

Jess

Helen

May 17, 2008 at 12:28 pm

Nursing is a profession that is unique. I know 27 years ago I went into healthcare to help people. Lately I feel like that is NOT what I do. We have a VERY complex computer system that requires constant problem solving, including when you go to retrieve documents having to reload paper and ink if you can find it! After you sign your document you are already being called to start the next procedure. Pressure and more pressure. One day after being screamed at and belittled by a surgeon I just cried, and could not stop. That was a defining day to me. I NO longer run up the hall, I use the ladies room when I need to, I will NOT make things happen until I have EVERYTHING I need and I encourage my coworkers to do the same. I smile at everyone of them and look them in the eye and pay one compliment at day at least! (Genuine I may add) I feel better about myself and feel I am contributing to recognizing my peers for their gifts since management will not. Just floating it out there… Remember, with out you, there is NOTHING else!

Dean E. Sizemore

May 17, 2008 at 1:08 pm

I don’t ever remember getting anything of REAL value during Nurse’s week. We always got the standard pen, tote, umbrella, or some other small token to show us just how little we REALLY meant to them. And the nurse manager would usually stick her head in whatever room you were in around 5 p.m. (on her way out the door) to say, “Your gift is at the nurse’s station.”
    “Oh, thanks, as soon as I finish this disimpaction, I’ll run up and grab it. See you tomorrow.”
    And, of course, there was always that veritable feast of goodies laid out before us in the breakroom that we could grab to munch on while we were doing our charting. I always thought that was such a hoot. Why is there this preconception that you can treat a nurse just any old way, and as long as you throw food at him or her, all is wonderful? Dogs are like that, you know. What made it even more comical was the fact that I was a cardiac nurse. So, here we are, dealing with patients having been admitted to the hospital for chest pain (many of them obese and diabetic), we’re counseling them on proper diet, and walking around stuffing our faces with doughnuts and pizza. “Do as I say, not as I do.”
    I really don’t think that management is ever going to get a clue about what it is that nurses really desire. My theory is this: As a male nurse, I still see the discrepancy between how nurses are treated in comparison to the personnel in the ancillary departments. I believe that much of this is because the field of nursing is predominantly populated by females. Conversely, management is predominantly staffed by males. And I don’t care if it is 2008; as a general rule, I still don’t think that women are taken as seriously as men are in the workplace. If they were, their opinions and input with regards to issues that directly affect them would be considered by management more often. If you’ve ever noticed, when the doctors (predominantly male) are unhappy about something, management’s ears perk right up. I understand that much of that has to do with money, but still……
    When I worked the floors, I always wanted to see management work the floors during Nurse’s week (accompanied by me, of course). After cleaning the derrieres of a few patients with explosive diarrheaa, or having to run to the bathroom to clean vomit off their shoes, I bet they’d develop a whole new respect for nurses. But that, of course, never happened. Nor, will it ever happen. Have a nice day!

• MC
    MC

May 17, 2008 at 5:14 pm

This year at our hospital all the nurses got a gift that keeps on giving.. We are all getting access to the Nursing Spectrum CEU offerings. We will be givne a card where we can sign on read the Ceu offring and take the test free..
    I think this was the best gift that we have ever been given and I am grateful for it. Knowledge is power and as I say it is the gift that keeps on giving

linda

May 17, 2008 at 6:00 pm

After 30yrs. of nursing, I have seen it all. My closet is full of canvas bags with hospital names and logos. the most demeaning and irritating thing to me is when nurse educators write instructions or memos in “fairy tale” form. These are educated, professional people? UNBELIEVABLE!!! I am glad that I am now retired. I do believe that conditions will get better for nurses in the future. Believe it or not, it has improved alot from when I first started. Nurses today are more persistant and determined to make it right. Don’t get me wrong, I love nursing and do not regret my choice of profession. However, working conditions and hospital politics make it less desirable.

KAK

May 17, 2008 at 6:51 pm

Great stuff here…just discovered the site and love it and will forward to all my RN friends. The Nurse week gift posts are hilarious and true!
    Unbelievable, just this last week I received the plastic flashlight and insulated lunch bag with the company logo. I can add it to my sun visor, insulated coffee mug, beach towel,lawn chair,and key chain collection! Oh, don’t let me forget the cookout with the CEO serving up burgers and dogs in a chef hat…cute huh? Oh my how generous.

I do appreciate a gift with thought however and perhaps if someone really thought about it we would get equipment that worked i.e. IV stands that actually roll, monitors that interface with our computers,More staff or a lot more ancillary help.

Customer service is a joke…Press-Gainey scores dominate and engineer our every move. We are now expected to have “scripted responses” to our patients, uh excuse me, ‘external’customers queries about why they have waited 24 hrs. in the ER and still dont have a bed in the hospital. Puleeze! scripted responses! How about a little honesty and plain talk, uh, er, excuse me dialog?
    We have “signage” committees who change department names on a regular basis, i.e. Recovery Room to Post Anesthesia Room, to Post Anesthesia Care Unit. Signage committees! Who gets paid to think this crappola up?
    We have gone through every b___s___ committee in the world and things still haven’t changed one iota in the last 15 yrs. However, the work load has increased as well as the patient acuity and census. I am fed up with the rhetoric and thinking “outside the box” and “Shared Governance” and “Paradigms”(sp?) and on and on.
    We are told to treat our patients, excuse me clients,as if they were at the Hilton, yeah right, more like the Motel 6. Our clients litter the waiting rooms, call us unmentionable names, and threaten us with bodily harm if we don’t move them fast enough through Triage. The Hilton wouldn’t allow most of them on the premises.
    The only thing that keeps me in Nursing is Nurses. They are the funniest, most loyal, and cynical people I know. And if you are lucky you even get to have lunch with each other once a week.
    No, I am not burned out, yes, I am fed up with the same BS I hear year after year. I only hope it changes, but despite all the so called improvements, patient care is really secondary to profits generated. Just move ‘em, head ‘em up, head ‘em out Rawhide!!!Thats all administration wants and if we just had the time to talk and really listen to the patient we wouldn’t need to script dialog and maybe actually could increase customer satifaction.
    Whew! I needed to vent, Thank you all, I do appreciate having you as my peer and respect the things you do daily….

Carolyn

May 17, 2008 at 7:35 pm

I have been a nurse since 1972 an LPN then BSN. This is how long I have been hearing the SAME THINGS! So stop the petty bickering already and uplift each other. We get enough critisism and lack of respect without picking at each other. We still get depicted as old battle axes with a syringe or a big breasted bomb shell in the media and comics. Does anyone like this?! I worked my butt off to get a college degree so a doctor that cancelled all the patients home meds on admission could try to pin her mistake on me! And I just let it go! That is such a shame that I would rather let it go than fight her on it. I am not in trouble but I lost repect for that particular doctor. So buck up you guys. If you think there is a put down in a message it is true we can’t see facial expression and tone of voice so maybe we need to use smiley faces and codes like that. Oh and I got a flashlight, postitnote, pen and an ok $25 gift card from Walmart. Happy Nurses Day!

rntravelerpat

May 17, 2008 at 8:03 pm

Hi! Love your blog! I am in agreement with you all. I thought I was the only one who objected to paying for my own Nurse Week recognition. In previous years we did a secret unit thing where each unit would “adopt” a unit and provide treats for that unit all week. Then we could sell T-shirts in the cafeteria to each other adn use the profits to fund Nurse Week. Also we could wear the Tshirts to work that week. Thank heavens,they did not do that this year. There was recognition for excellence in nursing and a pancake breakfast that was held over shift change both night and morning,so all could go. My personal satisfaction comes from the staff that I have worked with for 19 years. We assist each other to get the days off that make life important-whether kid’s sports events or parents Dr. appointments,we trade shifts so these things can be covered.

Danielle

May 18, 2008 at 1:44 am

I loved this blog! This year for nurses week I got a retractable flashlight key chain! What a waste of money! What do you do with a tiny light on a string??

Helen

May 18, 2008 at 4:53 am

Dean, I feel your male management insight is a winner. Give that nurse a t-shirt(just kidding)
    When we do go to managment with legitimate problems and believe it or not great choices of solutions their eyes glaze over and we get looked at like it is just another B**** session. Of course money is the bottom line and I agree the hospital is a business, but the part that is forgotten is that we are in the business of people. People are so variable and so much can happen and go wrong and they require different amounts of attention. It is not like manufacturing Campbells soup. What I have resolved to do it not participate or enable managements bad behavior. I put me and my familys needs first so I CAN deliver high quality care. ANY manager that believes that an unhappy, over worked nurse should be their front line to the public should not be running a business. Happy, supported and well paid employees will go above and beyond, it has been proven time and time again! So ladies and gentlemen, stick to your guns, don’t allow your well being to be compromised and things will have to turn around…..

PS~ KAK we too were told to speak to the OR pt.’s with scripting, I refused. It interferes with genuine connections and THAT is what people in crisis need. I commend your comments and agreee hospitals are not hotels. The last I checked the Hilton did not do invasive procedures with their turn down service. You nailed it!

Dean E. Sizemore

May 18, 2008 at 5:06 am

I am so glad I found this blog. It gives me an idea of how I might enhance my own blog. Compared to some of you, I am a “baby” in the field of nursing. I received my ADN in 1998, and my BSN in 2000. I have spent most of my career working cardiac step-down. I also worked a couple of years as a unit manager in a long-term care facility.
    As soon as I started working as a RN ten years ago, I realized very quickly just how frustrating nursing can be. I started working the 3-11 shift on an orthopedic floor that had a terrible nurse-to-patient ratio. Boy, what an eye-opener that was. I remember thinking to myself at times, “I busted my ass to become a nurse for this?” It didn’t help that I had a charge nurse with the old “Nurses eat their young” attitude. And my nurse manager was a complete idiot. She was the epitomy of the phrase, “Those who can’t do, manage.” She was about as much help as teats on a bull. I worked there for about a year, had had all I could stand, and went to another hospital that was totally different. The nurses were actually helpful to one another and treated each other with respect. Imagine that. For a change, I enjoyed going to work. It wasn’t perfect, but it was alot better than where I had just come from.
    I don’t want to go into an autobiographical journey of my career; I’d run out of the alloted amount of words allowed in this comment section. But, as a consequence of being diagnosed with multiple myeloma in 2006, I haven’t worked in almost two years now. I have been in remission from the cancer for about a year and a half, and am doing great. I recently travelled to Nashville for a bone marrow transplant, and I am feeling like my old self again. I don’t know when I’ll be able to return to work, but I have to tell you, in all honesty, even if my health would allow it, I would NEVER go back to bedside nursing. I don’t miss it at all; I don’t miss that maddening pace, getting attitude from fellow workers, spending more time doing paperwork than with my patients, 13+ hour shifts, and most of all, I don’t miss the stress (nor do I need it at this point in my life). NOT AT ALL! There, I said it. And I mean every word.
    That being said, I would like to reiterate something that has already been touched on in several posts: Nursing is a great and honorable profession to be in. But, in order for things to really get better for nurses, they have to collectively demand change. Otherwise, things are never going to get any better. I remember a story a nurse told me once: He was working at a hospital in Chicago, and the nurses had simply had enough of management’s crap. So, they staged a walkout. He told me that when the nurses actually walked out, people from the front offices were out working the floors. But, after that happened, he said the nursing department got anything they wanted. That is the kind of tenacity and sense of purpose that nurses are going to have to display if things are ever going to improve. Another thing that nurses are going to have to do more of is showing respect to one another. You can’t demand respect from others if you don’t show respect to each other. That means things like not getting “pissy” with a nurse going off shift because he/she got busy and didn’t have time to get to something. Or rolling your eyes because he/she doesn’t have the answer to something right on the spot. Think about it: Do you ever see doctors treat each other that way? I’ve never seen that. They are usually very respectful to one another. But I have surely seen a nurse treat another nurse that way on more than one occasion. Not only is it unprofessional, it’s just plain sad. Come on people, let’s get it together. If we stand together, we can accomplish anything. ANYTHING!

Helen

May 18, 2008 at 5:14 am

Divide and conquer is the oldest game in the book. Fear is used to control the masses and hospital management utilizes them both. We have been told point blank to get on board or leave. We get threats almost weekly, and now get cancelled on a slow day, only to return with no breaks or lunches because we are crazy busy.
    Supporting each other and not enabling managments poor decisions is the way to go!

I'm A Karen for you

May 18, 2008 at 7:02 am

I started working as a Nurse Aid years before they became ‘Certified’, working for 9 years, before I became ‘cross trained’ to a Unit Secretary/EKG technician, worked for another 9 years as this, became an RN in 1981 accepting position as 3-11 Charge Nurse in Oncology Unit in a teaching Hospital. I worked that for a total of not quite 9 years(my number)before going into general Med/Surg and worked several years in Telemetry, ER,ICU,IV Team, CCU, and Step Down. I retired in 2003 and am still a vital person.
    I’ve worked mandatory and volunteer overtime, nights, days and evenings, my average work week was 90 hours shortly before I retired. I’ve watched changes, worked with them, over the years. Now is the time for real change and it must come from within our ranks of Nurses!
    I started writting as I thought of my experiences and want to recount an incident from my second year of being an RN. A not pleasant experience for anyone involved.
    On a Friday afternoon a man, newly diagnosed with Pancreatic CA, was admitted for induction Chemotherapy.I had that Friday Saturday and Sunday off, planned for some time. Chemo orders were written, chemo began. On Monday as I started my shift, the man was on his last day of Chemo. Hearing report, I knew his orders were wrong, and I checked the orders first thing. The short story is the orders were mis-written and mis-interrpreted by pharmacy, the Charge Nurses on 3 shifts, for the 3 days. I stopped the Chemo infusing into his right arm, notified my Nurse manager who handeled it all from then on. The man, in his late forties, whose CA had been found by a fluke in very early stages, died 7 days later in ICU, the Hospital taking full responsibility for his care. His death was unnecessary and messy.
    The Dr who wrote the orders left Medicine for good, changes were made in Pharmacy, all Nurses involved were spoken to. The man died. I was thanked for simply doing my job, using my knowledge. Everything was tried to save the man, to no avail.
    My Supervisor kept me apprised of his status. I lost respect for my fellow Nurses, gained insights into myself. The man died.
    I’ve been remembering a lot of my working years here lately but the effects of that man’s death remain with me. It served to renew my zeal in doing my job, but now have low respect for myself and Nursing. We MUST respect ourselves first and foremost.

Dean E. Sizemore

May 18, 2008 at 7:24 am

What kind of threat is that?: “Get on board or leave?” Is that supposed to intimidate us? I DON’T THINK SO. In case they haven’t been paying attention, there is a nursing shortage going on in this country. If you quit on a Wednesday, you’ll have another job on Thursday. They can tell that nonsense to someone else. Not this nurse…..

• EM
    EM

May 18, 2008 at 7:55 am

I have to agree with Dean Sizemore. If you re-read all of the above blogs, much of what you see are nurses contradicting each other. Each nurse complaining that they have it tougher than the next nurse. Does it really matter who has it worse? Aren’t we all in agreement that nurses are overworked, underpaid and that it’s our license and our butt that is on the line each time we are understaffed and a mistake is made? Nursing is not ‘just a job’, if you want that, get your MBA and run a cut throat company and make millions. We all went into nursing for different reasons, but we all know it wasn’t because the money was better than any other job, or the hours were perfect. We all had a need to help someone. Yet, we aren’t helping each other. As long as nurses stand around arguing with each other about who didn’t do their job or who had more patients, who has had it worse off than anyone else, administration just sits back and lets the nurses chaos take all the spotlight off of them. They know that as along as we remain divided and do nothing but whine and complain among ourselves and about each other, then they do not have to take us seriously and do not actually have to make changes. The hospital administrators need to understand that if the care we are able to provide to patients is poor and ultimately deadly when mistakes are made, then eventually patient’s will not come to their hospital. Would you want to be taken care of by nurses who were understaffed and unable to provide quality care? Would you want that for your children or parents? The only way administration sits up and takes notice is when money is involved. Loss of patient’s means loss of revenue. Maybe more publicity about the nurses inability to provide quality care at hospitals, that are named in the newspapers, would get the attention of the administrators. No body likes bad publicity, yet when a med error or a patient falls, there is no lack of publicity about the ‘nurse’ who made the mistake or left her patient unattended. More needs to be said about WHY the nurse made the mistake, perhaps she was covering too many patients because of understaffing and then maybe the public would wonder how the hospital could allow patient’s to be placed in harms way. Nurses need to put our arms around each other and stand as a group because only then are we strong enough to push the administrators up against the wall and demand the change that is needed.

• RW
    RW

May 18, 2008 at 2:39 pm

Cheap junk, silly games and high calorie food–do they teach that in the Piddle-U Health Care Administration on-line degree program? How many of the “suits” could pass organic chemistry microbiology and pharmacology? Too many nurse managers are toadies who revel in persecuting the bed-pan juggling iv starters by using the latest “critical skill/incident evaluation tool” picked up at a drug company sponsored seminar that included a nice meal.

We need to cut back to the bone basics. Dress professionally–would you respect someone in wrinkled scrub pants wearing a top printed with cute little hearts or bunnies or easter eggs or flags or bats or turkeys or santas or hot peppers or palm trees or smiley faces? What about the stringy hair dangling over a wound or the ratty pile with a clip that looks like a chicken’s comb? What about the dirty orange, blue and purple astronaut shoes? How about the bracelets, necklaces and rings? How about the stethoscope with the tacky cloth covering? What about all the goofy “I’m a nurse” pins? After I had massive complicated chest surgery, a registered nurse came in my room, redid a pony tail and started to check my chest tubes without hand washing. Yuck! Thankfully I was awake and able to redirect him.

Ditch that stuff! Clean white pants and a plain neat white top, clean off the collar hai , simple jewelry (that should be basic infection control) and how about some underwear? (Yes some people are offended and remember for every one you want to impress with skin tight scrubs and no panties, you are noticed by ten who aren’t) Keep your identification face out and not clipped over your crotch. Decline the drug rep tablets/pens/assorted junk–buy your own pen and tablet. Don’t drag the junky logo stuff home with you–it only makes you feel more unappreciated to look at it. Just say thank you and drop discreetly in a wastebasket near the chief executive suite.

Before you blather on about something you don’t know or understand, remember that you may be caring for someone who knows you are completely wrong. Last year I endured a snotty inaccurate lecture about asthma and tuberculosis from a junior ER nurse. If you are asked a question just say “I don’t know but I’ll find out”. Honesty spares you from the humiliation of realizing later that you made a fool of yourself.

Use your professional signature with pride. You worked hard to earn it.

I have only one comment for MJ–kiss off and go back to administration. I suspect you’ll soon be one of the hoity-toity alum enema faced nurse managers. Who cares what top ten hospital you work in?

Michelle RN

May 18, 2008 at 7:41 pm

I love the comments- I work as a charge Rn for the state and not only do we not get the water bottles or lunch totes, administration can’t even find the decency to find the words- Thank you- for anything. Ever notice how it is always negative but “they” want you to maintain a positive attitude. If it wasn’t for the few patients that really appreciate you …what you would have…

Nurse4Life

May 19, 2008 at 1:33 pm

I enjoyed reading all of these posts because it makes me realize I’m not the only one who works at an ungrateful, disrespectful place. I can probably shock everyone with my nurses week story. Last week we had a cake cutting ceremony where our Chief Nursing Officer and our CEO spoke a few words. The CEO was praising the nurses and really acting like he cared about the staff…. WRONG! His closing comment was, “Too bad it takes 1 nurse to screw up the whole bunch” What a way to piss off a bunch of females!

Dean E. Sizemore

May 19, 2008 at 3:40 pm

What kind of asinine statement is that? In this case, the more appropriate comment would have been, “Too bad it only takes one CEO to screw up EVERYTHING for EVERYBODY!” Where did this guy go to school?…The Adolf Hitler Institute of Leadership and Management? It just goes to show you….as long as someone has enough credentials, the hospital will put any old idiot in charge. The nurses should all pitch in and buy him a “DUH” t-shirt.

• BB
    BB

May 19, 2008 at 4:18 pm

Nurses need to unite and not fight. Change will only come about when there is unity among all. The African American people of this country gained freedom from slavery through unity. Until nurses do the same, nothing will change. Nurses need a leader like Martin Luther King, a strong woman like Rose Parks, who one day got fed up with being sent to the back of the bus. Thank goodness for women like her, and the people who stood by her and refused to ride the buses and rather walked to work. Thanks to their unity, people of color no longer have to sit at the back of the bus. Nurses need to stop sitting at the back of the bus. The only way to do it is by working together.

an old nurse

May 19, 2008 at 5:11 pm

Our nurse manager gave us all coloring books at one of our staff meetings. Said it was for stress relief. Real stress releif would be just a tad more respect.

Michelle

May 19, 2008 at 6:17 pm

We have rice bags to give out to our labor patients. So, guess what our nurses week gift was 2 years ago? RICE BAGS.

Rochelle, New York

May 20, 2008 at 5:58 pm

Wowzie! I love this blog.It’s amazing to see the commonality among nurses. I mean we all think alike, so why don’t we have more change? I know we make decent money, but boy do we earm it! I do believe we could and should change a lot, but we are all so brainwashed. I worked at a Magnet hospital and the advertising for it was amazing. I mean they had stuff on buses! I think a lot of it is just how things look on paper.In reality, all the lazy nurses went to the Shared Governance meetings and the hard workers were left behind to care for the patients. It was a joke. I just worry about the future.
    Did you ever hear “them” to refer to float nurses as warm bodies when you call the house supervisor for help? I have. It goes like this, “Do you need an experienced ER/Critical Care nurse, or will a warm body work?” Demeaning and scarey on both ends.
    PS what ever happened to Tim Porter O’Grady? Is he out of the loop with his shared governance propaganda? Remember that junk?
    Oh well, I just collect the check and hope for the best. I know it won’t change until we get some Kahoonas and rebel. I probably won’t see it in my lifetime and I have about 20 years until retirement. I give it my best and pray my patients and I make it through the day. Good Luck and may the gods of Press-Gainey shine kindly on you.
    Rochelle

Marla

May 23, 2008 at 4:42 pm

I roared when I read this…hubby came up from the basement to see what the fuss was about!

The largest (and wealthiest) corporation in our area celebrated nurses day a few years ago by giving us all T-shirts with the corporate logo on them…the catch was, you couldn’t get one unless you contributed five dollars or x-amount of canned goods to the local food drive. I’m sure they got the credit for our hand-outs…I’ll drive down to the food pantry myself and forgo the cheesy T-shirt!

My last hospital didn’t even celebrate Nurse’s Week…the rationale was that they felt that it was “demeaning to the other departments and feelings would be hurt.” So, during Hospital Week we got a brief mention and the nursing supervisors served ice cream to the whole hospital…and the management was worried about demeaning humans? Personally, I wasn’t too worried about disrespecting the housekeeping or dietary staff by recognizing nurses. Let’s face it, Nurses have a lot more education, responsibility, and risk than someone wielding a mop or passing out food trays…Nor was I particularly concerned about the delicate emotional state of the physicians that I worked with. I’ll admit that their incomes have declined somewhat in recent years, and some of the younger ones are getting beyond the “god-complex” that their forefathers grew up with, but they get enough day-to-day kiester-kissing to make up for a mere week of half-hearted acknowledgement that the healthcare facilities slide past the nurses they employ.

One final comment…in Germany (and other European countries) the physicians are employed by the hospital…and they are treated with as little respect as the nurses while performing many of the same tasks in addition to the diagnostic and medical responsibilities that doctors here hold. Perhaps the future of Nursing in the U.S. includes private contracts with hospitals similar to those held by our medical counterparts…Seems that’s what it will take to get the economic and human respect that we earn on a daily basis.
    Be Blessed,
    M

Nancy

May 30, 2008 at 2:19 am

I have to say, there we go again, supplying our own Week of the Nurse party. We did that, until our new anesthesia attending, found out, and said she wanted to help us celebrate. That was a first! N

Patricia

November 17, 2008 at 7:24 pm

Now while this wasn’t for nurses week, I did one time have a great administration. They were freaked as always with JCAHO survey. We passed with commendations. This was a small hospital. We were rewarded witha very nice fancy steak dinner, served in the cafetaria, on tablecloths, with candlelight, cloth napkins, no wine of course. And all the waiters and servers were the administration: DON, CEO, CFO, etc. They dressed up in black tux like fancy schmancy waiters and served us hand and foot for our meal. The DON even wore more of a cocktail waitress black number which was so hilarious as she was in her 50s and very conservative. Anything to show her appreciation, she said. This was many years ago on my first job. Little did I know I’d never see appreciation like that again. But I’m lucky~I got to see it one time at least!!!

scrubs
Buy your Lab Coats at Scrubs Gallery and save cash.