August 19, 2008, 10:52 am

Dewey or Don’t We? Grand Rounds Goes to the Library

Ever wonder what we did before the internet?

You’re looking at it.

The Dewey Decimal System.

If you have to look it up, you’re too young to remember it.

Let’s put it this way: it gave Kerri at Six Until Me a nightmare.

A nightmare that became the theme for this week’s Grand Rounds!

Melvil Dewey would be proud!

********************

I’d like to thank Scrubs Gallery for their continued support of Emergiblog. You guys rock, and the site gets better and better!

The Healthcare Today site is growing fast! I’m proud to be in the company of some pretty heavy hitting bloggers over there, and you can easily sign up.

Then, you can submit your own posts to the headlines and vote on those already there. It’s not only a quick look at the blogosphere topics, but mainstream media links as well.

Find an article you like? Submit it for all of us to see.

It’s easy to read, easy to navigate and easy to submit anything you find interesting.

Something I found just a few minutes ago was a post from Clinical Cases and Images: Does Michael Phelps Have Marfan Syndrome? If not for Healthcare Today, I may have missed an interesting look at a phenomenal athlete.

You may have noticed the Johnson and Johnson widget on the sidebar. This connects directly to the J&J Health Channel on You Tube with Dr. Nancy Snyderman.

You may recognize Dr. Snyderman from the Today show – I remember when she was a local surgeon here in the San Francisco Bay Area.

The topics are varied and interesting, so do check them out.

And of course a HUGE thanks to J&J for sponsoring the medbloggers at BlogWorldExpo! The nursing profession is very lucky to have such a wonderful corporate supporter!

There is some furniture rearrangement going on at Emergiblog.

Apps are coming and going…

It all stems from BlogHer08. Lots of internet folks there with new things to try.

Yedda is an interesting app. You sign up and then folks ask you questions based on your stated areas of expertise/interest. I guess not too many people are interested in nursing, ERs or Jeff Scott Soto, because I’ve not gotten a single question.

Check it out if you are interested in learning more. Heck, you can even ask me a question!

Adoptic is an app in beta that I am looking at closely.

You sign up and join “communities”. Snippets of posts from those communities show up on your sidebar (as you can see here on Emergiblog) and your posts show up on other sites in the community, giving your blog more exposure.

You pick which posts to promote and which communities you belong to.

I belong to the entrepreneur, literature and writing, science and health communities, so the snippets you see on this blog will be related to one of those four areas.

And, it’s not too late to get those Change of Shift submission in! I’ll be putting it together tomorrow (along with getting the youngest ready for college – who needs sleep anyway?), so get those last minute submission in via the contact button or the Blog Carnival submission button.

PS – I’m on Twitter now! Yes, I have joined the Twitter Twiteration! I’m there under “Emergiblog” so if you’d like to follow me (or would like me to follow you), come on over!

rlbates

August 19, 2008 at 11:26 am

Kim, Dr Synderman used to live in Little Rock, AR and worked at UAMS and ACH. She was well liked.

marachne

August 19, 2008 at 2:51 pm

OK, I’m following you! feel free to return the favor 🙂

Alicia

August 19, 2008 at 3:36 pm

Oh man, that pic brings back memories of going to the library after school to look up the next Judy Blume book I wanted to read…bummer if someone didn’t put the card back in the right spot!

Bardiac

August 19, 2008 at 5:13 pm

Just a quick comment about apps and such. I know I pretty much don’t even look on the right side of the page if it’s ads and stuff. I’m sure there’s still a subtle influence, but I don’t see the stuff there. The big exception is when the moving stuff (and you have two or three at least) s…l….o…..w……s the page load down, which it does for me, though I have a quick internet connection.

So anyway, if it’s over on the right amid the other stuff, then I’m guessing a lot of people aren’t looking there. Where there’s too much signal, it all becomes noise. besides, we want to read what you have to say!

Kim

August 19, 2008 at 7:22 pm

Bardiac – thanks for the feedback, we are working on keeping the site loading at a respectable rate – it’s always a work-in-progress, but the content should be the main attraction!

Kim : )

Rene

August 20, 2008 at 7:17 am

Kim, Please take a closer look at the credibility of information they are selling on that J&J Health channel. Do you really want to be promoting bariatric surgeries on teens and women, one of their key products, for instance?

Kim

August 20, 2008 at 8:30 am

Thanks for your comment on Emergiblog, after reading it, I went and watched the four-video series on gastric bypass.

My feeling was that it was informational as opposed to promotional, but I appreciate your directing my attention to the videos as I had not seen them before.

For some reason, you comment went to my Akismet spam queue for approval – not sure why as all comments are welcome and yours was certainly not spam! : 0

I approved it and it is now visible on the site.

Thanks again for your concern and for directing me to those particular videos.

Rob Halper

August 21, 2008 at 11:52 am

Thanks, Kim! And Johnson & Johnson is extremely fortunate to have met such an enthusiastic nurse and blogger! See you in Vegas.

Rob
    on behalf on jnjhealth

Adrienne Zurub

August 22, 2008 at 4:59 pm

Kim!

Thanks for all the great information. I signed up at Healthcare Today.

I wanted to attend the BlogHer Conference last year and this year but had schedule conflicts.
    I will be in San Francisco September 23rd–28th! for NNOC! Yay!

It is good to see you share and implement the information, tools, and wisdom you gained from the conference.
    Your great community is a direct reflection of your efforts and continued learning.

Always…thank you.