May 17, 2009, 8:39 pm

God, Country, Notre Dame… Go Irish!

r2782140072jpgToday my son graduated first in his class from the Notre Dame Law School.

I’ve been on campus for the last four days.

Call it the eye of the storm.

(Photo credit: Reuters)

President Obama was the commencement speaker at a Catholic, no, at the premier Catholic university in the United States.

You’ve been reading the news, you’ve read about it on blogs, you’ve heard about it on talk shows.  It was everywhere.

But here, on the campus of Notre Dame, despite what you have been seeing on the news, things were relatively peaceful.

Here, on the campus of Notre Dame, discussions and debates took place in a respectful and dignified manner. Over dinner.  Over wine. On the quads. In the bookstore. With family, friends and people never before met whose only connection was the fact that they, too, were celebrating with their families.

My son had three tickets to the Joyce Center for the commencement; there were 15 family members present. I knew my oldest daughter and her husband were avid Obama supporters and would appreciate being in the Center while he spoke.

My husband and I gave them our tickets. We watched from a conference room on a large screen TV.

Let me tell you, the excitement was palpable. The crowd went nuts.

And that was just in our conference room.

And then the most amazing thing happened.

The President of Notre Dame, Fr. John Jenkins, stood up and spoke. Eloquently, passionately and clearly. He did not dodge the issue. He stated very clearly the Catholic views on abortion and he did not apologize.

I don’t think I took a breath the entire time.

His first point: while much was made of the decision to invite the President to Notre Dame, little was said about what it meant that he accepted the invitation.

That is very true.

Read his words here.

Powerful stuff.

It is necessary to read his words before you read President Obama’s speech.

Now (and good lord, I’m linking to the Huffington Post!), here is the full text of the Obama speech, only this time, you can see it for yourself in the embedded video.

If you really want to see what happens when two men of character and courage take on a controversy without mincing words, you will want to read/see both those speeches.

Go beyond the pictures and the sound bytes and read for yourself what was said on this campus today.

It’s no secret that I am not a huge fan of President Obama, a stance that has nothing to do with the Notre Dame controversy.

I disagree with him on many issues.

But not the ones he spoke of today. The need for open minds, open hearts, fair-minded words and the need to not demonize those who stand on the opposite side of an issue.

(Can I hear an AMEN on that?)

I’ve never felt Obama was all that and a bag of chips.

But today, on this campus, at this commencement and with this speech…

He was.

And for the first time since November, I see a President.

He did a hell of a job and deserves respect and recognition for it.

As does Father Jenkins.

“And our hearts forever, praise thee Notre Dame!”

Indeed.

Rachel

May 17, 2009 at 8:50 pm

Been waiting for your post on this 🙂

Kendall Hannon

May 17, 2009 at 8:59 pm

I’m tired. Long day.

Jenkin’s speech was ASTOUNDING http://commencement.nd.edu/commencement-weekend/commencement-videos-recorded/charge/

Tim McAllister

May 18, 2009 at 1:02 am

You have amazing insight! Thanks for sharing your piece of living world history. Fr. Jenkin’s speech is a true testament to the soundness and wholeness of the foundationary principles Norte Dame is built upon. I am blessed to know you and congratulations to Kendall. His graduation is an outstanding accomplishment.
    love,
    tim

Maureen at IslandRoar

May 18, 2009 at 7:57 am

The news I saw this morning of course only showed part of what Obama said. I will check out both speeches. Thanks, and congrats on your son’s accomplishment!

Matt M

May 18, 2009 at 12:06 pm

Amen. Amen, sister.

There are a lot of good, smart, competent people in this country. I do not expect to agree with each one, and on each issue, but I enjoy the fact that we have leadership that we can respect.

Reality Rounds

May 18, 2009 at 2:39 pm

Great post Kim, and congratulations. I was also so happy that both men did not mince their words, yet were compassionate at the same time. How great to have open, intelligent, and respectful dialogue on these tough issues.

AngieNWGeorgia

May 18, 2009 at 7:14 pm

Truly, Congrats on your son’s accomplishment…..nothing should mar this special occasion, even if a whole lot of people dont understand why this outstanding Christian university invited this President to speak. I’m not an unforgiving person, as a Christian myself, it would be wrong to be unforgiving. You have a keen insight with practicality….once again congrats on your son’s happy day.

Karen Moeller

May 19, 2009 at 6:03 pm

Kim,

This post was wonderful. First and foremost, congratulations on your son’s graduation from law school and his standing in the class. Graduating first is truly an accomplishment.

I’ve only read print comments about President Obama’s speech at Notre Dame. I will make sure I listen to both speeches now.

KarenM in NC

• Bo
    Bo

May 21, 2009 at 10:53 am

Congrats on your son!

PaedsRN

May 21, 2009 at 2:10 pm

I originally read the post without noticing the announcement at the top. First in his class! Congratulations!

AlisonH

May 22, 2009 at 6:54 pm

Wow. Thank you for posting the links to those speeches (beautifully spoken!), and congratulations on your son’s accomplishment!