May 3, 2009, 7:57 am

The Story of Mary Kate

jesus_w_children_6001All across the world, there are children fighting for their lives in intensive care units.

You may even take care of them.

But right now, this minute, I am concerned about one special girl.

Mary Kate is in second grade.  My daughter, Lillian, is her teacher. This is her first year of teaching, so Mary Kate is one of her very first pupils.

Just a few days ago, Mary Kate was out playing on the playground.

Today she is in a Seattle hospital fighting for her life.

Mary Kate has contracted an unknown infection that is, if it has not already, destroyed her liver.  To the point of needing a transplant.

Like, yesterday.

Other organ systems are shutting down.  She is on a bypass machine.

Mary Kate needs prayers, so I’m asking everyone, anywhere and of any faith to please, please say a prayer for this child.

Her parents have set up a site at Caring Bridge:

I’ve never met Mary Kate.

But she means the world to my daughter.

Which means she means the world to me.

Please pray for her.

ButtercupRN

May 3, 2009 at 12:13 pm

I signed the guest book and posted your blog and requested prayer on another site I post on TheDailyKitten. There are a lot of nice folks there too who will hold Mary Kate up in prayer and send positive thoughts.

mollycat71

May 3, 2009 at 1:53 pm

I am so sickened to hear of such a young one with such big problems! Know I am praying hard for MaryKate and God will take care of her! God Bless MaryKate and Your Daughter for her caring so much! Much love your way!

Amanda

May 3, 2009 at 3:30 pm

Oh Kim, you have no idea how this makes me feel. She’ll be in my thoughts and prayers. I’ve had liver disease since I was 5 so I’ve definitely been there. I will need a transplant someday, but thank God I’ve never been as bad off as little Mary Kate. I wonder what she has, it sounds just terrible, and I can’t imagine how afraid she must be and how upset her parents must feel. Wow. Hugs to Mary Kate and her family and your daughter. Keep us posted.

Theresa

May 3, 2009 at 5:28 pm

Thanks for spreading the word about MK. And I just have to add – your daughter is an awesome teacher! My daughter is also in her class.

Epijunky

May 4, 2009 at 8:42 pm

My prayers are with her and her family and loved ones.

AzRN

May 4, 2009 at 9:45 pm

wow, i sure hope they are able to stabilize her and find her a liver in time. said a prayer for the poor little baby and her family. how awful to be so ill.

• Bo
    Bo

May 5, 2009 at 1:38 pm

Much prayers coming her way….

AlisonH

May 5, 2009 at 3:57 pm

…And for all her family, too. Every illness is a whole-family issue.

scrubs
Buy your Lab Coats at Scrubs Gallery and save cash.