June 29, 2010, 11:28 am

Change of Shift Begins Year Five: Where Do We Go From Here?

The patient looks like a Cyberman from “Doctor Who”!

Funny, I don’t remember the Doctor ever having a nurse for his traveling companion…

The cap rocks.

The shoes look like Barbie slippers!

What??

You’ve never seen “Doctor Who”??

It’s only been on TV for forty-seven years!

It’s not a medical show, it’s sci-fi and The Doctor is a Time Lord who time-travels in a police call box (aka the TARDIS) that’s bigger on the inside than the outside…

Seriously, you have to see it.

BBC America. Saturdays. 9 Eastern, 6 Pacific.

********************

Thanks to Keith at Digital Doorway for hosting the last edition of Change of Shift and including gorgeous pics of New Mexico!

The July 9th edition of CoS will be hosted here at Emergiblog with submissions accepted up until July 8th at 11am PDT.

This also marks the beginning of Change of Shift’s fifth year!

And I need your feedback.

What do you like about the CoS format?

What would you change?

To start, I have two areas where I need your opinion:

1. Do we continue to include link lists in CoS editions?

Those who have hosted CoS know that there are a lot of “junk” submissions of link lists that have nothing to do with nursing at all. Everything from “50 Ways to Leave Your Blubber” to “10 Victoria’s Secret Items You Can Wear to Work”.  Those go into the SPAM pile.

But…we also get many lists of links may be of interest to nurses, by nurses and from sites that are nursing related. Often, they are related to a business. While never totally comfortable using them (I prefer actual blogs), I’d check them out and if I found the links interesting, I’d include them in the edition.

But when Jacob Molyneux, editor of AJN’s Off the Charts, brought up the issue of whether the inclusion of these lists/posts reduces the value of the independent nurse bloggers and questioned their inclusion in CoS, I began to wonder if their use should be re-evaluated.

So…what say you?

Keep including them (at the host’s discretion) or drop them all together?

2. Submissions – nurse bloggers, where are you?

Okay, let’s be honest here.

Submissions from the individual nurse blogger have declined. Where I used to get at least 12 submissions for an edition, I now get four or five.  I know a lot of our blogging colleagues have dropped their posting frequency or are taking a hiatus. Heck, I am just now coming out of a slump myself.

Those of you who have been surprised to find yourself in CoS these last few editions, well let’s just say a little birdie was submitting for you. Okay, it was me. There’s good stuff out there and I want to make sure it ends up in CoS.

But…

Why have the submissions dropped? Is it a lack of publicizing, a lack of being able to find out who is hosting?

A lack of time?

Or, god forbid….

A lack of interest?

What say you?

Should CoS stay as it is, with submissions as they come (or don’t as the case may be)? Or should it become a selection chosen by whomever is hosting that week? In other words, if you are hosting, you find and include posts from nurse bloggers you would like to showcase. Is that better?

Change of Shift has always felt like my “baby” and I want to make sure it is an asset to nursing on the web.

Who better to give feedback than you, my fellow nurse bloggers!

All opinions welcome, and I’ll share the results in a future post.

Thanks!

motherjonesrn

June 29, 2010 at 12:09 pm

Dear God, I love the picture of the Tin Man’s nurse. How did she run up and down the hallways in those shoes? I must start writing again.

Can you say sexy furniture??????

Jesse

June 29, 2010 at 1:01 pm

Congrats on 5 years!

Marjorie

June 29, 2010 at 3:27 pm

Hi, Kim! I really love CoS and hope that we can keep it going. Here is my two cents:

1. I don’t mind the link lists, but I wouldn’t miss them if they disappear.

2. As a long time nurse blogger, sometimes I feel like I write about the same things over and over when it comes to nurse-related stuff. Perhaps others feel the same way. Maybe we need a little direction or inspiration. How about if a topic was picked for every issue, we could all write from our specialty’s point of view? Just a thought…

Kim, thanks for all your hard work keeping CoS alive and well!

Take care,

M.

Andi, On Call RN

June 29, 2010 at 5:06 pm

I would love to submit to CoS but have found it confusing as to where and how to submit in the past. I think the last time I tried I just simply couldn’t find a link or email address to submit too. I do love CoS though and I also don’t mind the links but won’t miss them if they are gone.

So glad you are doing CoS it’s such a cool idea and I have found some great bloggers through it.

Dr Dean

June 30, 2010 at 9:04 am

Kim, I have trouble submitting through the carnival central-not just your carnival.

But of course sending to you always works. My main problem is just forgetting to submit-feel free to knock me upside the head anytime about that.

As a new blogger, I don’t feel I have big platform re the link sites you mentioned. Some of those do have value, some don’t-so I would leave it to the host.

Thanks for asking-and congrats on 5 years.

You still going to Blogworld?

Chris [The Man-Nurse Diaries]

June 30, 2010 at 10:05 am

1. No more link lists! Gah. Or if they seem even remotely relevant, they should go at the bottom!

2. I always thought that a blog carnival should include what’s good in the blogosphere relevant to your topic, not just what happens to be submitted. So I already think of CoS like that (though admittedly I only hosted it once!), not just a vehicle for free advertising. Maybe we could encourage hosts to include posts and articles they’re reading, or which they find, which are relevant to our field – even if they’re not from nurse blogs or weren’t submitted.

It might involve some crossover from Grand Rounds, but Grand Rounds is so general and lengthy and I suspect not every nurse out there is reading it.

3. Would it be bad if we changed to every third week or monthly?

Chris [The Man-Nurse Diaries]

June 30, 2010 at 10:05 am

Forgot to mention that I think CoS is a great idea, a great read, and should keep going!

Coturnix

June 30, 2010 at 11:31 pm

Happy blogiversary!

Julie

July 1, 2010 at 12:28 pm

1) Dr Who might have started 47 years ago but he hasn’t been on TV all of that time. There was a period after Peter Davidson or the guy with the scarf after him (have to look it up) when he left our screens for 10-15 years.
    2) Please keep COS. No more link lists or companies.
    3) It is hard as others have said to keep it fresh, but also as others have said what about articles or book reviews or other stuff
    4)Its hard for me as I don’t practice clinically so can’t always post nursing stuff. However the new government has decided we need to do far more healthcare here with much less money. This is going to lead to some fun and interesting times. I am currently rubbish at my own blog but happy to post something regularly to COS about the English NHS for the amusement of you people in the US. Failing any interesting nursing stories from the NHS I can recount tales of hiding behind the sofa aged 7 when Dr Who and the Darleks were particularly scary!

jacob

July 2, 2010 at 9:16 am

Kim,
    Thanks so much for putting the question of link lists that I’d raised out there to your readers. The comments here are encouraging. And I certainly hope CoS continues; it’s a great service to nurses online!

Happy 4th,

Jacob
    Off the Charts (AJN’s blog)

Medic/Nurse

July 2, 2010 at 10:19 pm

Kim,

1. Please, no more lists. This is about blogs, not links. I can find 10 links easily by googling whatever it is I’m interested in, I don’t need it in COS.

2. Submissions plus whatever good you find. I like it when you include things you’ve found, I think that sometimes the bloggers are too hesitent to submit.

3. I don’t know why nurse blogging is dropping off in general. I know for me, its not due to lack of desire, rather lack of ability. Read my last post to find out more.

4. Thanks for doing such an awesome job!

Medic/Nurse

Jennifer

July 3, 2010 at 6:08 am

1) I’m very new to CoS and I still consider myself fairly new to the blogging world, so I don’t have a strong opinion about the lists.

2) I have not posted to CoS yet. I really want to, but after reading it for a while now I feel like I have to write a really GREAT post to be able to submit it. CoS hasn’t seemed to be about the normal day-to-day ramblings but more important topics that people are thinking of. It’s a little intimidating to submit! Especially for the first time.

Sean

July 4, 2010 at 7:57 am

It’s NEVER been a lack of interest. I echo some of the sentiments of blogging about the same stuff over and over.
    My downfall is time – like many others, but what about topics?
    Maybe a theme for upcoming CoS carnivals? Hmm..
    A themed CoS would definitely give the bloggers and submitters direction? Heck it might even give some more motivation to submit?
    I know, I know, I’ve been horrible at it lately.
    I’m trying.

Jane

July 4, 2010 at 11:50 am

Happy 5 years! CoS! I remember when I found your blog Kim and CoS! I was the happiest new nurse in the world. I am certainly going to submit more often, and maybe one day I will even host!

I guess the links are up to the host, I don’t really have an opinion about that.

Where are the nurse bloggers? I know we are out here! We can do better, I am sure.

Dr Who? Funny I never even heard about this show, and this is the second time in two weeks that it was mentioned. I am a poor poor television girl, maybe I will check it out next week, I could use the diversion.

NPs Save Lives

July 5, 2010 at 9:14 am

Kim, Congrats on the 5th year of COS! It’s hard to believe that it’s been that long. I don’t have any particular opinion about the lists and should be at the host’s discretion. I didn’t get very many submissions when I hosted so I haven’t bothered to do it. I also envy those of you who write well. I have never felt like it flows well. Sense a tone here? Oh well. I am guilty of getting bogged down in Facebook games and that’s my excuse. I will join an AA group for that soon so I can get back to the meat of my blogs. I get aggravated because I get VERY few real comments, just a LOT of spam.

@rdjfraser

July 6, 2010 at 6:48 pm

Hi Kim,

Thank you so much for being so far ahead of the curve. I’m late to the blogging world and I often skip the CoS because ot is just a link list. I do like it when it i see a friend wrote it though. Also, I tend to skip submitting because I’m forgetfully and then I feel Ike I’m just selfish if I’m sending in some old post.
    I do REALLY like the idea of the carnival and I’m glad you want to breath in new life to it. My only suggestion is that i like the idea of the posts related to topic, or maybe just introductiions (selection of a post that give a flavor of the blogger). I’m more likely to read an article that I know someone that took the time to write. Also I think I often feel my personal blog isn’t nursing enough. However I would love to take the time to make a post for CoS that highlighted others amazing work.

Just a though. Love your work and the community you have helped to build.
    Rob

Jamie Davis, the Podmedic

July 8, 2010 at 9:32 am

Thanks for keeping the Change of Shift running, Kim. I will confess however that I was unsure of how the submission process for submission works. I feel strange submitting posts from the Nursing Show or episode links. Should I select my top episode of the month and submit it? Maybe we need a refresher on the rules and etiquette for posting to the carnival.

Chris [The Man-Nurse Diaries]

July 8, 2010 at 11:37 pm

You’re probably seeing this already, but it looks like one thing needed for CoS is an easier way to post submissions. Maybe a direct link to that submission form on the CoS page (since I think the existing link goes to the general blog carnival site?), or somehow hosting the submission form here?

TorontoEmerg

July 11, 2010 at 5:10 am

Hi Kim

Just keep forgetting to submit, or maybe I’m thinking that the article I’d like to submit in any given week is just a bit too acerbic. Or something.

Also like Jamie above, was a little uncertain how it all worked… submit a current post, or something original which you simultaneously publish?

Anyway, keep up the good work.

RN Pocket Guide