June 10, 2010, 3:05 pm

Mid-Blog Crisis

Capping Day!

A joyous occasion!

So…why are half the women ticked off?

(Did they realize their cap looks like used gauze?)

And the one getting capped? There is one of those in every class.

********************

Change of Shift is up at first-time-host NursesNetwork.com! Katie did a great job of putting the edition together, many thanks to all who submitted (and those who are surprised to find that a little birdie submitted for you!).

The next edition is at Digital Doorway with Keith. Submissions can be sent to “nursekeith at gmail dot com”.

********************

Emergiblog has been on a pseudo-hiatus.

It wasn’t intentional. I was having a mid-blog crisis.

All of a sudden, I seemed to have lost my “voice”.

It wasn’t blog burnout.

The ideas were there.

So…why did it feel like I needed four gallons of BlogLytely to get a single post initiated?

The crisis stems from what I want Emergiblog to be. Or what I think it should be. Or what I think it is supposed to be.

I feel like I’m “supposed” to write about serious nursing topics; perhaps that came from being exposed to so many new nursing experiences in my BSN program. Maybe it came from thinking Emergiblog would be seen as a type of serious professional writing by grad schools.

(Trust me, it wasn’t.)

Every post felt like it should to be in APA format, with research and references.

Then I graduated with my BSN.

Imagine me as Wile E. Coyote over there and the Road Runner as graduate school.

Not getting accepted was my “gravity lesson”.

It made me question every thing about myself. My career, my goals, my ability to write…especially my ability to write.  The one asset I thought I had wasn’t good enough to get me where I wanted to go.

It spilled over into the blog. I started to over-think everything I wanted to post. Was it good, was it bad, was it appropriate, was it silly, was it stupid, was it….perfect?

Well, it’s all that and more!!!!!! (Except for the “perfect” part…)

It’s just taken me a little while to figure that out, and I think I’ve gotten my “voice” back.

But it makes me wonder…

Many of us have been blogging for 3, 4 or 5 years.

Have you had a “mid-blog crisis”? Have you lost your “voice”?

How did you get it back?

All I know is thinking I was blog toast had me pretty anxious.

Blogging is a huge part of my life.

I’m not ready to go gentle into that good last post.

Not for a long, long time.

geena

June 10, 2010 at 3:30 pm

Oh honey, I lost the major mojo years ago after getting pregnant the 1st time.

I was stressing about it big-time until I stopped giving myself rules to blog by.

I post when I feel like it. If that’s only every couple of months, so be it. I’ve definitely lost traffic, but it feels so much better to do it for myself instead of site meter.

7 1/2 years. That’s a long time. Google still likes me, so I guess I’m doing *something* right.

Yet, I read blogs (including MANY medical blogs) every single day. So I still feel a part of this community :)

Rachel

June 10, 2010 at 4:27 pm

I think it’s absolutely normal. You’ve come to one chapter’s end with the BSN after all.

Going to BlogHer last year reignited the spark for me, although to be honest, having new subject matter with my illness and surgeries was kind of a help too. (Unfortunately!)

Marjorie

June 10, 2010 at 7:59 pm

It has been almost 8 years since I started blogging, although I didn’t start with my current blog.

I did go through a crisis about a year ago. Like geena, I threw out my rulebook and started to blog about things other than nursing. My career is only a small part of who I am. Plus, the other parts of my life affect my work too.

Keep up the great writing. I think you still have plenty to say… (I’ve been following you since I was the “Neurotic Nursing Student” — don’t know if you remember me.)

Looking forward to your next post. :)

Cheers,

M>

Hand Gel G

June 11, 2010 at 3:32 am

I’m pleased you’re back… as a person who has languished in a pre-blog state for a while, I envy your mid-blog crisis!

JParadisi RN

June 11, 2010 at 6:47 am

Not all who wander are lost. It’s part of the creative process for hobbits, bloggers and artists; growing pains. You have a new degree and a fresh perspective to adapt into your blog. Blah, blah, blah, I’m sure you already know this and don’t need to hear it from me. You’ve set the standard for the rest of us.

Candy

June 11, 2010 at 7:52 am

I missed you and am very happy to hear your mental laryngitis is gone! You worked your butt off to get your BSN, which is a huge accomplishment! One “no” doesn’t define you, it just gently pushes you in another direction.

Ali

June 11, 2010 at 6:02 pm

I consider mine more of a “blogging funk” rather then a mid-blog crisis. Seems to go along with the at work funk, brought on my lack of vacation and boredom at work (which I thought would never happen in the ICU…). So instead I go play in the sunshine and in my garden…

Rita Schwab

June 12, 2010 at 5:48 am

I took a writing course several years ago at a local university. The professor was not particularly enamored with my writing style, which I took very much to heart. I started feeling much the same as you; maybe I only thought I could write.

When I shared this with a well-respected friend of mine, she gave me a “What are you, a moron?” look and said, “Maybe the problem is that he can’t read!”

I laughed and went back to writing.

So with lots of fellow-blogger love I say, “Nurse Kim, stop being such a moron!”

RehabRN

June 12, 2010 at 8:43 am

Kim:

I think about this a lot. RehabRN has been running for three years, and I’ve been writing stuff off and on, for way longer.

I found a great quote from Margaret Atwood:
    “If I waited for perfection, I would never write a word.”

Don’t wait…write. Get your ideas out and you can refine them further later.

I see written words and phrases as building blocks. Even if they have to sit in storage for a while, you can use them later.

Laura Scarborough

June 12, 2010 at 9:55 am

i’ve been blogging for more than 5 years and i have found that like my life in general my blog-writing has its ebbs and flows. lately it has been stuck in a low tide of creativity mainly because i have come to realize that my co-workers read my blog….my BOSS reads my blog….the people i went to high school with who were so immaturely funny at my expense read my blog…OMG my pastor reads my blog!!!! funny, but it doesn’t bother me to know that my parents read it or that my inlaws read it. still realizing that people who know me in the “real world” read the kind of crazy that is in my mind and put down in my blog has dried up my creativity. at least it seems that way to me.
    but i am working through it. i still commit to write something, post something everyday in the hopes that, well, that the creative dam will open up. i also have started to write for two group blogs where although i am not given anonymity but i am assured a much wider audience. somehow it helps knowing that there are more people who don’t know me in real life reading those than people who do know me.
    i say keep writing, write whatever strikes your fancy and definitely get out and play in the sunshine. you have worked like crazy getting your BSN, perhaps a gap year is exactly what you need before you pursue grad school.

aries

June 13, 2010 at 10:55 pm

never experience it since my blog is just a compilation of nursing sample test :)

• [...] writes about a blogging crisis of sorts. Since my blog is in it’s infancy, I can’t relate to a mid-blog crisis, but I think all [...]

Ed H

June 22, 2010 at 11:51 am

Our neighbor is a blogging RN and her writing comes and goes. Five articles one week and none for a few months.

But as another person commented, Google still likes her!

NPs Save Lives

July 5, 2010 at 9:19 am

I am still in Google’s good graces as well as my blog ebbs and flows. I think that I would write more if I got more than SPAM comments. ARGH! Congrats on your completion of the BSN and I hope that you continue into the MSN world.

Tracy Mc Manamon

May 10, 2011 at 7:30 pm

I cant write a blog all on my own. i need the help of my family. A little bit of support and encouragement is all that I need to keep posting. Team work really rocks. I came to that conclusion with the amazing number of responses I get.

nursing scrubs
Petite Scrubs
Petite Scrubs
Scrubs that fit!
Nursing Scrubs
and the rest of your medical uniforms you need from Scrubs Gallery.

RN Pocket Guide