January 31, 2012, 5:42 pm

Banner Health, Arizona Board of Nursing: A Personal Vendetta?

Sorry, no.

This is the problem.

There is a huge injustice being perpetrated against a nurse right this moment.

It’s getting worse.

And the ones who got the party started aren’t happy that it isn’t quiet.

That their moves, and their motives, are under public scrutiny.

That nurses are talking.

Because if you are quiet, it means they’ve got you frightened.

If you are quiet, it’s harder for the next nurse to speak out.

If you are quiet, it is easier to intimidate and retaliate against nurses with impunity.

I received a call from the Arizona Board of Nursing this morning. I am not able to obtain a copy of the Banner Del E. Webb Medical Center complaint against Amanda Trujillo, RN, MSN.

They are able to tell me that a complaint was filed, and what date it was filed, but the actual content of the complaint is confidential. A copy goes to the RN involved.

I appreciated the call, they could easily have sent an email.

That doesn’t mean I won’t see a copy of it, it just means I can’t get a copy from the AZBoN.

Well, it gets worse.

Today, ten months after the original complaint was filed, Amanda was advised that the Arizona Board of Nursing had called her university and reported that she is under investigation. Amanda is studying for her DNP.

Amanda got the email from her university, informing her of what they had been told.

WHAT???

Is it normal for boards of nursing to actively report registered nurses to their universities?

By phone?

While the investigation is still going on?

I talked to a nurse investigator in Nevada, who said absolutely “NO”, they did not report nurses to universities., That until the case is decided, it’s confidential and there is no way of knowing that the nurse was in school or what school she attended.

There has been no disciplinary action against Amanda Trujillo by the Arizona Board of Nursing.

So why are they calling her university?

Why now?

This has gone past a regular investigation of a complaint against the license of a registered nurse and has all the markings of a personal vendetta.

I’m no Morley Safter or Mike Wallace.

This blog isn’t 60 Minutes.

I’m just a blogging staff nurse who is aghast at what she is seeing and I have questions.

Who has ties to the Arizona Board of Nursing? What pull, if any, does Banner Health have with the AZBoN? What pull, if any does the doctor whose public display of rage set all this in motion, have with the Arizona Board of Nursing?

What ties does the Arizona Board of Nursing have with Amanda’s university?

And let’s keep in mind why all this is happening.

A patient received education concerning their condition and upcoming procedure, and a referral for a case management consult for hospice placed at the patient’s request.

No patient was harmed. No patient was killed. No medication given. No procedure done.

A patient was given information.

Informed.

Empowered.

And god help the nurse who had the audacity to facilitate this autonomy, this right.

How can you not be outraged?

KelRN24

January 31, 2012 at 6:01 pm

My concern is that the physician did not do his job when he presented the options to the patient. When consenting a patient it is the duty to “inform” the patient of risks, benefits, and alternatives treatments. If the patient is asking for more information we have a responsibility to provide it. Patient education is a priority!

Heidi Friel

January 31, 2012 at 6:34 pm

Has anyone contacted the Members of Congress or Senators of AZ? What about the Governor’s office? I would love to know the name of the Doctor who threw the tantrum. Hopefully that will be made public.
    Keep fighting, Amanda! You have nothing but respect from your peers!

JoJo626

January 31, 2012 at 7:04 pm

Didn’t I read that a member of the AZ BON is also a Banner employee? To me that looks like a conflict of interest if accurate.

LifeCoachRN

January 31, 2012 at 10:12 pm

We do have to take a stand. At a doctors whim they can report us to our nursing boards. But by no means should that information go anywhere before the investigation is complete. Its terrible. Please keep us updated regarding her story. I agree she should contact elected officials and nursing organizations.

Nurse K

February 1, 2012 at 11:41 am

Unless it’s very different in Arizona compared to here, an investigation is considered strictly confidential and employers and schools should absolutely not be informed.

The board might have known about her school attendance because people who are under investigation are supposed to disclose this sort of stuff in order to eliminate conflicts of interest. However, people who work at Banner Health or the school she attends that are also on the Board of Nursing are not supposed to be involved in her case at all.

If the Banner Health director didn’t immediately excuse herself from the investigation and/or disclosed confidential information about the investigation to others on the Board (that she knew from working at Banner or by not excusing herself from the investigation), hello, whatever they find should be thrown out immediately and she should sue like a mofo for defamation.

Kim

February 1, 2012 at 11:51 am

It is my understanding that the director at Banner is the president of the Arizona Nurses Association, and not the AZ Board of Nurses.

There is, however, a member of the Board, an LPN, who works at a Banner facility.

RN Guardian Exec Director

February 1, 2012 at 1:13 pm

This happens ALL THE TIME!!! Not only in Arizona but here in California. Nurses are thrown under the proverbial buss on a daily basis by their supervisors, facilities, doctors and co-workers. If a complaint is filed- even if it is bogus- the complaintant gets to bask in the knowledge that the poor RN is up against a 12-18 month battle for their career. it’s deplorable… and I am outraged as well. If Amanda would like some help from someone who deals with these cases on a daily basis, have her call me.

Laura

February 1, 2012 at 2:42 pm

I am not a nurse. I have been a patient. When this abuse of a nurse is allowed to happen and the ones responsible are not named and punished, we compromise our own well being. Who will advocate for patients? Doctors? Insurance companies? Ha! Where is 60 Minutes? So sick of hearing these types of stories. Where is the public outrage?

Greg Mercer, MSN

February 1, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Great work!
    If intersested, check out our little protest for Amanda – there’s no reason we need only talk, we can exert influence ourselves if enough of us band together –

RehabRN

February 1, 2012 at 5:40 pm

Kim:

The more you post, the more this is looking like a movie script in the making.

I cannot believe it…and it IS reality.

Keep it up, lady. They’re quivering!

Terri Polick

February 1, 2012 at 7:51 pm

The doctors I work with are reading our blogs about this case. They can understand why the doctors was ticked, but they do not sanction his behavior, or what is happening to Amanda. The doctors refer to the surgeon as the “Jackass.” None of the doctors can see a valid reason for Amanda to be treated like this by Banner.

• T
    T

February 2, 2012 at 12:03 am

To Terri Polick:

These doctors that are watching this – where the hell are they?

Why aren’t they speaking up?!

They’re too afraid for their precious fukking careers- the cowards!

Terri Polick

February 2, 2012 at 4:54 am

To T:

I don’t really know why docs aren’t posting. My docs generally stay clear of social media because of their security clearance. Maybe doctors aren’t posting because it goes back to their “code of honor” thing that doctors don’t publicly criticize each other.

midwest woman

February 2, 2012 at 5:42 am

If the state board finds she did not overstep her scope of practice then what? In Missouri it is a work at will state and outside of federal regulations (gender, race, etc) non union employers can fire and hire at will. With all this attention even with a clear liscence I suspect jobhunting would be difficult. Wrongful termination is difficult and expensive to pursue. Exactly what are her options? Slander defamation?
    This is all very tragic and frightening.

Kim

February 2, 2012 at 9:01 am

Dr. Dean over at the Millionaire Nurse Blog put up an entire post of links to articles on the case AND wrote a post on nurse/physician communication. So far, he’s the only physician I’ve seen comment!

Greg Mercer, MSN

February 4, 2012 at 7:17 pm

Make a difference with this case: we can influence the outcome. Its easy to join and participate, you don’t even need to leave home. Details:
    LET BANNER HEAR US ROAR!
    Join now!

• Jo
    Jo

February 6, 2012 at 12:32 pm

I can’t be outraged without knowing all the facts. Sorry, but the story is hearsay at this point, and I have no contacts with the AZ board. Stories have multiple sides. Until I know them, I can’t judge. Obviously a nurse isn’t usually fired simply for doing a job, so what is really going on here? But I won’t jump to conclusions of persecution without knowing all the details, which we can’t know right now, due to confidentiality. If there is wrongdoing against this nurse, then absolutely she must have vindication — and the whole story will out, as it did in the case of the Winkler County, Texas nurses, who, by the way, had to move to a different state to find jobs.

Alison918

February 8, 2012 at 3:20 pm

It has gotten to the point that I am afraid to even comment about the AZBN for fear of retaliation. Unfortunately it does NOT MATTER if you are right or wrong. What they say, goes. I am also of the opinion that hiring an attorney oly sets you up for a harsher “sentence” because they do not want to be confronted. If I was not so passionate about my career I would most definitely handle my own case with more exhuberance than I am–hell, I am afraid to mention what my own case entails because I almost feel “spies” that will report back what is said. It would be awesome if we banded together and gained strength. Being an “at will” to work state, is there any retaliation for getting fired for truly no reason? Anyone know? It is tough to find a position when you say you were “let go”, “termed”, –more like thrown under the bus. It is truly scary and maddening at the same time. Yea, you can’t judge without all the facts, Jo, but trust me, sometimes even if the “facts” are known, any times they are twisted and changed to make you look bad. I know from personal experience.PLUS, ANYONE CAN FILE A COMPLAINT !! That person is protected and anonymous. Something wrong with this pic??

Alison918

February 8, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Funny thing is, the docs are really a small community and having worked at so many facilities I can almost bet which doc was involved, or at least his/her, specialty. word gets around and we nurses are still on the other side of the fence without an advocate. hhmmm….maybe I ought to have signed the Union interest card back a few yrs ago. At least we would have a rope to grab onto instead of a life jacket in a locked closet!

Maggy

February 12, 2012 at 5:00 pm

There are so many patients who need organs and part of the consent process is making sure the is able to adhere to the post op requirements. Why isn’t anyone crying about that? What is the name of the physician involved? Did anyone contact the Medical Board? It is also known that many employers order psych evals to intimidate anyone who will not go along with their program. Despicable conduct on the part of the employer, the surgeon, and the system

Maggy

February 12, 2012 at 5:07 pm

Alison and others.. almost every state in the United States is a “Right to Work: state. An employer can do just about anything to you provided it does not discriminate against someone who is in a “protected” class, or break another law such as spit in your face or kick you in the ass as they tell you to leave

Maggy

February 12, 2012 at 5:11 pm

The more this gets circulated, the more difficult it will be for Banner to find Nurses to work for them. Guess the docs will have to provide all of their nursing care. Could you imagine what that would look like? LMAO

dbradyrn

February 16, 2012 at 2:09 pm

@Maggy. I wonder how much physicians could charge for giving suppositories?

Maggy

February 17, 2012 at 1:41 pm

@dbrady, they would think that is beneath them. Perhaps they should call one of the hospital administrators to help them with that task. Oh no wait….they don’t want to get their hands “dirty” either.

I am really interested in knowing the physicians name. Why is this so hush hush in all of the posts about Amanda?

• [...] Banner Health, Arizona Board of Nursing: A Personal Vendetta? Amanda Trujillo on PHOENIX (CBS5) [...]

Beenthere!

February 23, 2012 at 8:03 am

Believe me, Banner Del Webb will turn on their physicians too. If a doctor speaks up on behalf of rightful patient care and proper treatment the Administrators at BDWMC will make the doctor’s life hell! I speak the truth. How do I know? BEENTHERE. Witnessed it. That is why the doctors are keeping quiet. People, this is NOT strictly a typical doctor VS nurse battle. It is a Banner Del Webb Medical Center method to intimidate nurses that DO SPEAK UP for the patients. Seen it so many times. I pray the prior employees (that BDWMC) has wronged will come forward.

• [...] Banner Health, AZ Board of Nursing: A Personal Vendetta? [...]

Greg Mercer, MSN

March 9, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Important news! – Some of Amanda’s supporters have recently posted a Change.org petition to boycott Arizona until we see some BON changes – please check it out & help us spread the word.

Amanda’s next Hearing is 3/19 and AZBON reauthorization is still in the Legislature – we’re running out of time on this unusually opportune time for positive change.

See http://www.change.org/petitions/governor-state-of-arizona-address-corrupting-factors-in-the-arizona-board-of-nursing

and/or

Thanks for your support,

Greg Mercer, MSN

Orfyn RN

March 21, 2012 at 12:48 am

I for one am not optimistic concerning the outcome of the AzBON process.
    State Boards exist for only one reson: to maintain the status quo and keep nurses in their place as handmaidens to Drs and Hospitals. They cannot allow thweir power and position to be challenged or questioned. I had a completely fabricated complaint filed against me by a disgruntled subordinate. It took over five years and many thousands in legal fees to get it settled, and the BON still would not admit that the complaint was groundless, dispite numerous witnesses to that fact, and the failure of the complainant to appear for any of the hearings. I was issued a “letter of education” that said that if I had done any of the things alleged I would be charged with violations of
    a number of cited passages of the nurse practice act. And I was lucky to get that as opposed to a disciplinary act. The letter is a permanent part of my record, available to any member of the public, although it is “not considered a disciplinary action” according to the Board.

• [...] Banner Health, AZ Board of Nursing: A Personal Vendetta? [...]

Stopthebully

April 3, 2012 at 12:07 pm

AZHHA was sued for Antitrust, “The Sherman Act”.
    Do not take my word for it go to the website and see for your self. Banner Health of AZ was on the list that was sued.

ashamed to be a nurse in az

July 3, 2012 at 9:12 am

I would not have believed how crooked the state board of arizona is, if not happened to a friend of mine. a similar situation.
    shame on this group that has too much power. every nurse needs to get down to the legislature!
    Gov Brewer, shame on you as well, you are the higher power over this group of so called , public defenders HAHAHAHA what a joke!

ashamed to be a nurse in az

July 10, 2012 at 9:11 pm

the state board in arizona is totally corupt!
    nurse speaks up , hospital turns in to st bd, bd agrees with hospitals, and nurse gets complaint on license, of course along the way nurse get a letter she needs a psych eval.
    the state board members need a psych eval! big time

Jill Jones

September 22, 2012 at 3:16 am

So glad to find this blog.This kind of corruption is going on in Missouri,too.Cronyism between MO State Board of Nursing and “doctor” who sexually assaulted me on the job.A COMPLETELY bogus complaint was filed against my license-I mean the evidence that it was bogus was right in front of them.They too called people who didn’t have a reason to know about the investigating.
    Their corruption and intentional cruelty completely ruined my career and directly caused three disabling health problems for me.
    Indeed,where is 60 minutes? Where is Dateline? Where are the online petitions and the protests?I’ll do whatever I can to help.

HLPN

September 26, 2012 at 9:51 am

What is the process for nurses to gain employement while all of this is taking place? or can they? There is no conviction/loss of license/or reprimand while this is taking place. And every employer looks at your license prior to employment. So how do you explain it? or do you have too since there is no disciplinary action?

Unlucky Az Nurse

December 1, 2012 at 7:10 am

The process is; you do not work. Doesn’t matter the board is still “reviewing” Arizona is one of the worst states for a nurse to try to work. The hospitals treat you like dirt, they think they have slave labor with their nurses. Needs to be a big billboard for nurses thinking they want to move to Az. I’ve worked with so many from other states that cannot believe how backwards it is. They can’t wait to move out of the state.

scrubs
Scrub Pants
Scrub Pants
Be Comfortable!
Scrubs
and the rest of your medical apparel needs from ScrubsGallery.com

RN Pocket Guide