January 24, 2012, 12:15 pm

The Nurse Stands Alone…

No funny, vintage picture today.

An Arizona nursing colleague is in danger of losing her license for acting as a patient advocate within her scope of practice.

Her hearing, initially scheduled for today, has been delayed for two months so this registered nurse can undergo a psychiatric evaluation.

Yes, that is correct.

Providing appropriate patient education in the face of a major knowledge deficit, and obtaining information for the patient, at the patient’s request, is now grounds for a sanity check.

Especially if you piss off a doctor.

<Taking a breath. Centering. Doubling up on BP medication>

The nurse is Amanda Trujillo. Her story, Arizona Nurse Has License Threatened By Doctor After Providing Patient Education is at The Nerdy Nurse, complete with original email and brief.

The psych eval is beyond belief. If you can’t bring ‘em down on practice issues, intimate that they are mentally ill and delay the process.

Where is the American Nurses Association? What on earth are you there for if not to support the practice of nursing? If this isn’t a hit to the heart of what we do every day, please define what it is we ARE all about!

The Arizona Nurses Association has done nothing, and this has gone on for almost a year (in fact, Amanda notes in a comment that the President of the Arizona association is a Director at the hospital she was fired from!) By the way, hit the link and look at their Mission Statement.

I’m not very proud of my profession right now.

Nurses not only eat their young, but God help you if the almighty Medical Establishment gets ticked off.

Nurses talk a great game. In the Halls of Academia and the Ivory Towers of Those Who Claim to Advance The Profession, it’s all “Nursing Is An Independent Profession” and we tirelessly “Fight For Our Right To Practice To The Full Extent Of Our Education And Training”.

Unless you’re down in the trenches doing patient care every day and someone gets angry that you have dared to advocate. And if that Someone is a Doctor, well, the bigwigs scatter to the four corners of the ring.

Musn’t create controversy.

Hell, they aren’t even standing on your side of the arena.

I guess all that support for the Texas nurses was a fluke.

Hope we enjoyed it while it lasted.

I salute my fellow nurses who are able to blog about this with clear heads and calm words.

I guess I’ve been doing this for too long, seen too much and just cannot believe this is happening in the 21st century.

Even if you do the right thing by your patient. The right thing by the nurse practice act. The right thing by hospital policy.

One temper-tantrum throwing physician can derail your career!

Un.Freaking.Believable.

Carole RN

January 24, 2012 at 1:38 pm

I’m so glad you posted and Tweeted this! It infuriates me too. This is just one reason I am VERY careful about what organizations I pay to belong to, because I find that they are either using my $ to support a political candidate I’m against, or as in this case, not supporting those they are there to help. Every nurse who is a member of the Arizona Nurses Association or the American Nurses Association should call, write, or e mail to voice their complaint, LOUDLY. Remember the only language these big organizations understand is money. Threaten to pull your membership, or find out if you can get a refund. If not, simply don’t renew! It’s the professional thing to do. I did look at the Arizona web page. Their mission statement is very misleading. There’s a link about professional advocacy. Beware! Here’s what I found: “The association supports nurses? professional responsibility to advocate on their own behalf just as they advocate on behalf of patients.” Well, that sums up what they’re all about, now doesn’t it? Isn’t this “misrepresentation?” I challenge every nurse reading about this to do something. Spread the word, contact these nurse’s associations and voice disapproval and non-support. I just can’t believe that the doctor was able to get her license revoked. OMG. I hope she wins, and then turns around and sues.

Marsha

January 24, 2012 at 2:51 pm

This is just so unbelievable in this day and age and so very,very wrong. Having working in a large teaching hospital and also small privately owned hospitals I noticed a vast difference in the level of autonomy of the nurses working in both places. As a RN in charge of a Burn/Trauma Unit in a large teaching hospital the Doctors,after they knew me of course,trusted me and we always had a open and honest dialogue of the course of care. As a RN in a ICU setting in a private hospital my calls to tell the MD of serious changes in the Pt status were treated more as nuisance calls,like “let me sleep already,can’t it wait until morning?”. We were very limited in what we could do there to the Pt’s detriment.
    Now this tantruming prig of a Doctor has a Nurse fired for informing a end of life pt that he was within his rights to refuse a painful procedure and that he could have his pain controlled and die at home with family and with dignity.
    If you tie a professional nurse’s hands to this extent you might as well just use McDonald’s employees to write down numbers and push buttons.
    This needs to be resolved and this is one of the few times that I am glad I am retired and not a working RN anymore.
    This is just a travesty that needs to be righted and as Nurses we need to unite and see that this particular wrong is righted and we need to continue to support each other or our profession is lost.

Marsha

January 24, 2012 at 2:59 pm

*worked

Terri Polick

January 24, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Thank you for posting this. I’ve written two letters to the Arizona BON about this case. Postponing Amanda’s hearing and ordering her to get a psych eval is offensive on so many levels. If standing up for yourself makes you crazy, then we should all be so insane. Just a thought. Can those state nursing board members be recalled/fired? They aren’t doing a very good job. I’ll be writing my own post very soon.

Nurse K

January 24, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Next thing you know, nurses will be hauled in front of the board for not giving up their chairs when surgeons enter the department.

Without going into much detail, I was hauled in front of the board of nursing for something that I “did”, and I truly and honestly couldn’t even figure out how what I “did” was wrong, let alone worthy of a report to the board, probably similar to how Amanda feels. The board responded by actually commending my care of the patient in question and said that what I “did” in that circumstance was not only necessary, but required for safe patient care and that they “hoped I would continue to be an example of a nurse who has an unrelenting passion for safe patient care” in the future.

Like, wow, I just went to a disciplinary thing and got praised?

One thing that I did in my hearing was repeated the same style of thing over and over. “In order to provide safe patient care, I did _____”. When someone asked me why I didn’t do what the hospital thought I should have done, I responded with, “It would never have occurred to me to do that because doing that would be far below what I consider a minimum standard of care and certainly not an excellent standard of care.”

I’m guessing Amanda’s thing will be the same sort of circumstance. If nothing else, the neutral non-nurse “community members” on the board will certainly stand up for her. No patient wants to be going into a big surgery in the dark and have no one on their side.

GigiRN

January 24, 2012 at 6:05 pm

I have read your blog, excellent! Well written and says exactly what we all feel.

What happened to Amanda Trujillo can happen to each and every one of us at any given moment in our career. We are damned if we do and damned if we don’t, it’s a shame that this is the 21 Century and it seems we have gone backwards and not forward.

You are exactly right in saying “no one has our back” anymore. It’s frightening to go to work each day, it truly is.

The surgeon, hospital and the Arizona State Board of Nursing should be ashamed of themselves. This is just plain WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I personally vow not to let this rest.

• [...] The Nurse Stands Alone… Tweet Filed Under: Education, Family, Healthcare Systems, Medicine, Nurse, Nursing Issues, Review, Soapbox Worthy Tagged With: Amanda Trujillo, arizona, Arizona Nurses Association, arizona state board of nursing, bsn, doctor, Echo Heron, god-complex, going before the board of nursing, going before the state board, Health care, healthcare organization, hospice, hospital, invasive procedure, legal, medicine, nursing, nursing license, patient, patient advocate, patient education, physician, profession, registered nurse, rn, state board, state board of nursing, surgeon, surgery, tantrum, twitter, Vernon Dutton [...]

The Nerdy Nurse

January 24, 2012 at 6:45 pm

Kim,

Thank you for writing this passionately and for helpeing further spread the need for support for Amanda.

Terri,

I look forward to reading your blog post!

Nurse K,

You mean you don’t have the “surgeon’s get a chair” rule at your hospital… hmmm… :)

GigiRN

January 24, 2012 at 7:02 pm

I don’t think the Board is looking to praise Amanda, sending her for a psych eval doesn’t sing “praise” to me.

I can’t even put into words how angry this case makes me. I’m a hospice nurse! And…I believe in Karma.

I have 3 bad experiences as nurse, none board worthy but frightening all the same. At the moment, I’m self employed and thank God everyday for that.

LaurieRN

January 24, 2012 at 8:56 pm

My last day of work in our rural ER is Tuesday. I am resigning my position before I am fired by management. I refused an assignment to work with a nurse I had reported a month earlier as being unsafe in practice (think orthostatics on a seizing, vomiting patient). I was given a final write up (my 1st write up) for refusing the assignment. When I had submitted written concerns regarding this nurse, I also stated I could not work with her because I feared for patients in her care as well as my license as I am charge nurse. I refused the assignment after the schedule had been changed; she was added to my Saturday shift on Wed., and I refused when I noticed change on Friday while at work.

I am pursuing grievance hearing, Peer Review, and plan to file report regarding nurse and management actions with TX state board. I never thought my nursing career would take this path!

GigiRN

January 24, 2012 at 11:00 pm

To: LaurieRN
    I am sorry you are going through this. It’s an awful to have to, trust me, I know. I have been a nurse for over 30 years now, been there, done that. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. I have found it all depends on how well you are liked by management. Politics. I would say you have a 60/40 chance of making a difference in this situation, mostly, you will be viewed as a “trouble maker”. I’m not trying to be cruel or mean to you in any way, just speaking from experience (my own). Sometimes you have to pick your battles, ask yourself if this is worth fighting for. Often times, it’s better to resign and go elsewhere.

Years ago, I worked in a large dialysis unit, owned by our hospital, it was outpatient. A group of Nephrologist bought the place and since we were RN top-heavy, they began to implement changes so quickly it was causing major issues of safety to our patients. As RN’s quit they were quickly replaced with newly trained technicians who were not deemed competent for patient care. The patient safety issues tripled overnight, serious, serious issues.

I wrote a letter and delivered it to the Nephrologist’s in our community who has patients in the unit pointing out the safety concerns and issues that already were happening.

To make a long story short, I was cursed out and threatened by the hospital attorney. I didn’t back down. Someone HAD to be an advocate for those patients, there were too many lives at stake. Changes were made, the new manager hired by the physician’s who bought the unit was fired.
    Nothing happened to me, not even a write up in the end. A month later I quit and went elsewhere, I knew staying there in the long run would be detrimental to me. It was a very stressful time, harrowing is a better word. I believe what saved me was, 99% of my colleagues agreed with me and stood behind me all the way.

I’m much older now and I have to say, some of that fight I once had is now gone. For the most part, I choose my battles more wisely and let the small stuff roll.

Good luck to you Laurie, I wish you well. Follow your heart, it truly won’t lead you in the wrong direction.

G

Nurse K

January 24, 2012 at 11:18 pm

I wouldn’t read TOO much into the “psych eval”. The board might have received information somehow that Amanda seemed depressed or anxious, etc. Perhaps even the information given by the hospital had something in there about their “observations” about her psychiatric state, implying that there was some problem in order to make her look bad.

GigiRN

January 25, 2012 at 12:42 am

Ok, got ya’. It just seems to me they are going to extremes here with her.

Thanks for your input. :)

Fredrik smith

January 25, 2012 at 2:10 am

amanda trujillo

January 25, 2012 at 5:12 am

….i think any nurse who has had her entire identity stripped from her would be anxious and depressed and fighting for her and her childs life…if thats grounds for a psych eval, then every person going through the grieving process should get eval’d. my identity as a mother/father/breadwinner was stripped from me, my identity and pride as a nurse was stripped from me, the two of those make up who I am. I think any human being, after almost a year of walking around feeling like a wound with salt in it would be anxious, and depressed……there was nothing in my employee record that reported behavioral issues, and I was never disciplined or written up at this hospital nor did the nurse investigator find anything in the chart that indicated a problem. She reported my care as “above and beyond the call of duty” and said my charting and care was some of the most throrogh shed ever seen for such a complex patient–she did disagree with me putting in a hospice consult. During the investigation, a home health agency I worked at for all of a few weeks was contacted for an employee reference and the supervisor who was abusive towards me gave them some very bad unsubstantiated “opinions” of me as a person and as a nurse. The Board told me that this supervisor had no way of proving her statements but that this was probably what was being told to potential employers. So, I called up my old supervisor and told her what the board had told me. I advised her that this was wrong and that I would be pursuing defamation of character charges against her for slandering my professional reputation—she called the board and told them I threatened her with bodily harm and begged for my job back. That, and the fact Im interacting with all these nurses on the internet gave them cause to believe im psycho. My argument to that is, anyone who finds out their name and professional reputation is being slandered is going to ask that previous employer to set the record straight. I told the board that this supervisor was lying to them but they didnt believe me. i told them why on earth would I go back to an abusive employer who used to yell at me and insult me in front of other staff? I told them why would I threaten someone with bodily harm while Im under investigation? In our state it is illegal to lie to the board during an investigation–I told them she was lying and they didnt do anything about that or the fact this lady said unsubstantiated opinions of me. So basically Im a risk to society for trying to restore my professional reputation and make a living.I did contact that supervisor again and told her that regardless of the board outcome I would be seeking legal relief when Im finished with this battle because what she is doing is wrong and damaging and its tainting my professional reputation. This is what the board is hoping to use against me—that and all my net activity and lobbying for anti nurse retaliation law in Arizona……Anyway, thats the background…..but I assure you all, i dont threaten people with bodily harm to get my business taken care of.

Anna Morrison

January 25, 2012 at 5:18 am

Kim, thanks so much for giving this issue attention. So glad te blogosphere is lit up for Amanda! We’re organizing BIG TIME on Facebook and I’ve just added you to our main thread. Press releases to major media outlets will be going out today. Andrew Lopez (@Nursefriendly) will make sure that “Amanda Trujillo” ranks #1 in Google results for Banner Health and for the AZ BON. We are not going to let this story die. This is not only about nurses, but also about a Patient’s Right to Know and Right to Self-Determination. We need to reach out to Patient Advocacy Groups as well. Literally, this case has implications for every nurse and every patient, and those of us who are no longer beholden to the medico-corporate machine must speak up without reservation for what’s right. Thanks so much for doing this!

Anna Morrison

January 25, 2012 at 5:18 am

*the

GigiRN

January 25, 2012 at 5:27 am

Amanda,

I don’t know you, I’ve never met you, yet I believe you 100%. Just by reading your letter to Echo Herron, I know that you are bright, well educated and speak only on professional levels in all the writings you have done.

My heart goes out to you in a big way. As I have said, what is happening to you affects every one of us, You are US. This is so wrong.

We know you don’t need a psych eval and we know you didn’t or would you ever threaten anyone. How very sad. Truly. It makes me sick actually.

Stay strong little one…you’re an awesome nurse!

Gigi

amanda trujillo

January 25, 2012 at 5:38 am

One battle at a time….I know. This is the big one…for all of us…for the baby nurses coming up behind us….I quit that home health place because of the hostile lady i worked for–i never did home health before and she had no patience for me trying to learn and get used to it—me quitting should not give her the “ok” to tell the board terrible things that cant be substantiated and Im perplexed at how the board wouldnt think Id want to get the record set straight—-I never thought that could be perceived as concerning behavior—even more so, it seems they keep digging and digging further into different parts of my life. with this psych eval they apparently get a full review of my entire medical chart. wheres hippa when I need it? I feel like they have full access to every part of my life and all I did was put in a consult for my patient to visit with a hospice person so they could answer questions I may not be able to……Im not understanding how the rest of my life and my past has to be exumed. Im sorry I just feel so invaded, or violated. I feel naked.

GigiRN

January 25, 2012 at 5:49 am

Sure you do Amanda, I mean who wouldn’t feel the same way? I know I would. I can only imagine how you must feel right now. Say some prayers Amanda, go to a quiet place within yourself and just pray. And listen. You feel alone in this but you have a whole bunch of people on your side here. Lots of people who don’t know you and we all care, and we’re angry for you. This should not be happening.

You did the right things, you’re an excellent nurse, you documented well. You have a right to protect yourself and reputation. Now relax, all will be well.

Gigi

amanda trujillo

January 25, 2012 at 5:55 am

when i learned from one of the blogs last night that my license status had changed to “under investigation” I just fell into tears. I had no idea they were going to do that…so its just been a hard night. thanks for the love…thanks for trying to bring me down from the tree…..I think I need time to get used to the new status on my license. i cant get over the shame right now….I think Im going to listen to one of my pastors bible studies, they have been so important in helping me through this………big hugs gigi–and everyone……thank you.

GigiRN

January 25, 2012 at 6:01 am

Amanda…YOU HAVE NOTHING TO BE ASHAMED OF. Do you understand? NOTHING. Now stop thinking like that. You did nothing wrong. You are a victim Amanda.

• [...] Emergiblog [...]

Shelley R

January 25, 2012 at 11:02 am

On what planet is this surgeon allowed to have that much power??? This makes me happy that i work in a public health care system, where RN?s aren?t just tossed aside because physicians bring in money to a hospital! GRRRR

FIGHT HARD, AMANDA!! Because this kinda bullshit is SO WRONG on so many levels!

• [...] EmergiBlog – The Nurse Stands Alone… [...]

RehabRN

January 25, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Kim:

Thanks for posting this.

I am utterly dismayed that a physician on a tear could be so utterly cruel and money-hungry that he could not understand when a patient wants to say no to something so life-changing. It’s a TRANSPLANT, not an appendectomy.

AZBON, your actions are EXACTLY why I’ve never practiced without liability insurance. Shame on you, BONs around the country, for advocating this antiquated way of thinking, that if a nurse has her own malpractice she’ll get sued.

I wonder if we’d even be here if Amanda had her own liability insurance…Don’t leave home without it, friends. (and no, I don’t sell it, I just advocate it in this crazy world we live in today).

Meagan

January 26, 2012 at 9:59 am

Wow that is crazy! Thank you so much for posting this, I had no idea this was going on. This is ridiculous

Anne

January 27, 2012 at 9:02 am

I admire this nurse and all the nurses that have a backbone and stand up for what is right. I only wish the nurse that told the truth in her deposition but then later changed her story by the time we got to court for my mother?s med mal case would have had a backbone. I was told that her job was probably threatened by the time we got to court. The hospitals and doctors with the big money and insurance companies have way too much power and it is not right for them to get away with lies. Don’t get me wrong there are a lot of great doctors but there are a lot of bad ones too. It is sad that the little guys can’t get rid of the bad ones and they continue to practice. I admire anyone that has a backbone.

Stand Together » The Makings of a Nurse

January 28, 2012 at 10:48 am

[...] background on Amanda Trujillo’s story, see here and here or listen here. For details about how to support Amanda, see the Nerdy Nurse’s post here. And [...]

• [...] Emergiblog [...]

• [...] of us? Because the majority of us have faced a sliver of Amanda’s story. We’ve each felt alone in our careers – in certain situations – at one point or another, and we don’t [...]

Penelope Rock

February 3, 2012 at 7:46 pm

“To realize once and for all, bottom line, that if you are a staff nurse, no one has your back.”

Oh, what a sad truth it is. A nurse who at often times will always support a freakin unbelievable doctor will experience to find at her back no one that will help. But I guess, bloggers and even social media nowadays will be Amanda’s back up. Thanks to many nurses such as you Kim. :)

Cheers,
    Peny@An Update on AZ Nurse Amanda Trujillo Case

RetiredRN

February 6, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Nurses are patient advocates, Buracracies are NOT! The Surgery Department of any Hospital is one of, if not the most profitable Department. Shame on you Banner Health (Corporate owners of Dell E. Webb Medical Center in Sun City West, AZ).
    I must admit, I do not know ALL the details in this case. What I do know is that during my 18 years of practice as an RN, I have seen Physicians behave in this manner on many occasions. I once saw a Physician as a RN for a patient chart, it was not available because it was with the patient who was having a procedure done. (Now I am really dating myself). The Physician started jumping up and down and screaming – “I want that chart”. This went on for well over 5 minutes, and the House Supervisor ended up calling security. He is still practicing there today, some 20 years later!
    This (Inappropriate Physician Behavior) has become such a common occurrence that many Hospitals have developed “Code White”. This is announced over the Communications system, just like a Code Blue, and every available nurse goes to the announced location of the disturbance and just quietly stands around the out of control Physician and observes, and documents what they see and hear.
    I hope I did not stray too far off topic, there are so many parts of this article that just rings true, based on my own observations. Some one once explained it to me like this: “When it comes right down to it, as far as a Hospital is concerned, financially Physicians Services go into the INCOME column and Nursing Services go into the Expense column.” Back to the main issue: I think that it is the Angry Surgeon who needs the Psych evaluation. NURSES ARE NOT DOORMATS!

Marva

February 18, 2012 at 6:24 pm

I am so not surprised that this happened at this particular facility! This place is horrible to their nurses. Banner Del Webb needs to be scrutinized, investigated and yes a Psych Eval needs to be done on the entire Administration Dept including Managers and Directors there. I fear for the patients at this facility. Nurses that speak up for them are labeled: TROUBLEMAKERS, written up for fictitious reasons, their charting is scanned for ANYTHING off. They (BDWMC) is on a mission. They desire to employ only nurses that follow and not question. Nurses we need to do something! I saw this type of incident coming at this place for a long time!

Arnold Sibanda

February 22, 2012 at 6:35 am

Amanda, I’m sorry you are going through all this for advocating for safe patient care following a scientific evaluation of a patient placed under your expert care. Unfortunately, there is still a great number of physicians out there who believe they are demi-gods, and that what they say is law to be taken, for the lack of a better word, as an “order!” Thanks heavens for the science in the nursing process, we as RNs can deduce patient care problems within our scope of practice, come up with relevant nursing diagnoses, plan and implement appropriate nursing interventions. I just listened to your eloquent 25 minute conversation on the radio, and simply find the proposed psychiatric evaluation ridiculous. As for the nursing director who had you fired, she needs intervetion, I would not like to believe that at this day and age nurses still eat their young, but a case of a few who still have the yes-doctor syndrome. I’m trained and currently practising in Africa, but have had the privilege of working with excellent American nurse leaders the likes of Beth Broering and Melissa Weir to mention a few at Bokamoso Private Hospital here in Botswana, and am amazed that this is happening in Arizona. On second thought, this happens all over the world, given the pre-historical history of nursing, but we won’t take it lying down. Nursing is a fully fledged independent, worthwhile healthcare profession which has progressed with the times, and we are here to stay. I have quite a number of physician friends, who truly understand my being a nurse and what we stand for, and it’s these few that matter. I hope the rest of the demagogic physician population will find it in themselves to comprehend that they cannot do it alone. We are meant to be a team for the best interest of the patient. Remember, behind every Good Doctor is a Great Nurse!

• [...] The Nurse Stands Alone… [...]

• [...] The Nurse Stands Alone… [...]

Andrew Lopez, RN

April 27, 2012 at 9:48 am

Thank you for Kim following Amanda’s case, this is the latest.

The War Against Amanda Trujillo, April 25, 2012, Mother Jones, RN, Nurse Ratched’s Place:”I still support Amanda Trujillo and some people who have read the allegations against Amanda have questioned my judgment. Frankly, I don’t believe these allegations because I personally know two other nurses who have been reported to their nursing boards by their former employers. One of my friends was reported to the BON after she spoke up about unsafe nursing practices at a shady nursing home, and the other was reported after he chastised hospital administration for placing psychiatric patients and staff in an unsafe environment. Their former employers cooked up all kinds of false allegations against my friends who are both stellar nurses. Their former employers crucified their character, but in the end they were both cleared of any wrongdoing by their respective state nursing boards. There is an escalating pattern of abuse as more unscrupulous employers are using nursing boards as the ultimate scare tactic to keep nurses “in their place. ” Amanda is just another victim of this ploy.”

• [...] The Nurse Stands Alone… [...]

Andrew Lopez, RN (@nursefriendly)

December 30, 2012 at 9:43 am

The latest on the case:

Facing a Crossroads, #AmandaTrujillo, MSN, RN & the Arizona State Board of Nursing:?At the heart of Amanda?s case is Patient Advocacy. Her patient was having second thoughts about a Liver Transplant evaluation, and Amanda helped fill in the gaps. The doctor, Dr. Keng-Yu Chuang (Source AZBON public records), who had only offered the liver transplant, went ballistic when the patient asked for Hospice info instead. He demanded the hospital serve Amanda?s head up on a platter and that the Arizona State Board of Nursing be contacted.?

scrubs