August 19, 2013, 12:10 pm

Closing Time

On August 3, 2005, the first Emergiblog post was published.

Eight years and 935 posts later, and with a part of me dreading this even as I write, it is time to say good-bye.

It’s been 10 months since my last entry. Many times over those months, I’ve run into a situation and thought, “this would make a great blog post!”

Yet, I did not put my thoughts into writing.

The passing of time has not rekindled the passion to write, and when the desire to write is gone, one is no longer a blogger.

Damn, that was hard to write.

There are still topics I could write about: the metamorphosis of my hospital into a corporate appendage, the uselessness of electronic medical records (very sad realization, that), the feeling that as nurses advance their education, basic nursing care is being forgotten (oh, the stories!).

Topics like this used to rev me up, make me head for the keyboard and blow out a rant.

Now, all I want to do is reach for the Prilosec.

Even if I still had the urge to write, I wouldn’t want to sound like a bitter, sarcastic nurse who is angry all the time. And I would sound like that (I wrote the paragraph above four times before it stopped sounding like I was ready to punch the wall.)

That isn’t fun to read, and it certainly does nothing to help the profession.

These days, frankly, I’d rather spend my time off in Portland with my grandson, catching up on Doctor Who episodes from the last 50 years and cheering my head off for NASCAR every weekend.

But it was a hell of a ride! :D

I have met and made friends from around the world.

I connected with nurses who shared their stories and was inspired. In fact, it was student nurse bloggers who inspired me to go back for my BSN.

I connected with physicians who shared their stories and was shown a wider perspective.

I connected with patients who shared their stories and I became a better nurse.

And now, some thank-yous:

Shane Pike has been with me from almost the very beginning, keeping things running behind the scenes. Emergiblog would not have been what it is without him. “Thank you” doesn’t even cover it.

The “medbloggers” were able to meet at BlogWorld for four years, thanks to Rob Halper and Marc Monseau, who spearheaded the Johnson & Johnson sponsorship of our track. Thank you both! For BlogWorld and the chance to speak in Orlando!

Of course, those meetings would never have happened if Rick Calvert, CEO of BlogWorld (now known as New Media Expo) had not seen my rant decrying the lack of medbloggers at conferences. He said, “We have room for you here!” Not only did I meet my fellow medbloggers, but also my “Blogfathers” Hugh Hewitt and James Lileks! Thank you, Rick!

Bora Zivkovik gave me my first link. I remember waking up and seeing that 35 people had read the post overnight and realizing that I didn’t have that many family members who knew I blogged, so something must have happened! Thank you, Bora, for the encouragement that link provided!

Terri Polick, aka Nurse Ratched’s Place, is my “Blogdaughter”, BFF and partner-in-crime all these years. Terri has moved on to a new blog, Mod Mother: Modern Design with a Motherly Twist. Thanks for all the fun/commiseration/support! We had quite a ride, didn’t we? :D

And last, but certainly not least,

My heartfelt thanks to everyone who has stopped by to read Emergiblog. A blog without readers is just a diary. Emergiblog was a success because you came to read.

(The actual blog will remain up. Comments to all old posts have been disabled (this post is still open.) The “Contact” button still works. I’m still on Twitter as @emergiblog and if you can stand cat pictures and a lot of NASCAR talk, I’m also on Facebook. )

Dr Mike Sevilla

August 19, 2013 at 12:20 pm

Emergiblog was one of the first blogs I started reading. And, was one of the first to blog link me (which was a huge day for me, let me tell ya).

I have definitely been where you’re at. And, I may quit (again). And, you may come back at some point. Who knows?

Just wanted to thank you publicly for being an inspiration to me for sharing my voice out here on the internet. Whether you know it or not, you’ve been a friend and a mentor, and I appreciate all that you have done for the nursing community, and for the medical community in social media.

Long Live Emergiblog!

Kim

August 19, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Thanks, Mike! {{{{}}}}

Jamie Davis

August 19, 2013 at 12:23 pm

OMG!!!! I feel like I did when MASH and Seinfeld went off the air! Kim you have been a leader and a nurse mentor to me and many others. I hope you will continue to be an occasional guest on my shows when you have the time. If you ever find the desire to rant and don’t want to do so here, you have a an open slot always at the Nursing Show.

Until next time . . .

@ccziv

August 19, 2013 at 12:25 pm

This critical care nurse is very sad to see you go. Thanks for everything. And by the way, I am Catharine Zivkovic, the nurse married to the (original) Blogfather Bora Zivkovic, who read and publicized your post at my suggestion!

Kim

August 19, 2013 at 12:27 pm

LOL – Catharine!!!! :D I never knew that until just his minute!!!!

Kim

August 19, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Thanks, Jamie. You know me, there’s always a rant somewhere! :D

Rob Lindeman

August 19, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Farewell and God Bless, Kim. You had a great run and you deserve nothing but congratulations. I know for certain that Flea, where ever he may be, is raising a double bourbon in toast to one of his first blogging buddies!

Jacob

August 19, 2013 at 12:44 pm

The nursing blog world hasn’t been the same since you retired the Change of Shift blog roundups. You helped a lot of people become aware of each others’ efforts at blogging, and provided a strong, personal voice in your posts to inspire many of them as well. Thanks for this thoughtful and honest final post, and best wishes from Off the Charts and AJN.

NeoNurseChic

August 19, 2013 at 1:54 pm

Well Kim, I’m sad to read this, but I understand! Kudos to you for keeping up all these years after many of us from around the same time have thrown in the towel. ;) I’m so glad that we remain friends on Facebook and Twitter! Your blog was one of the first that I read and loved! ~Carrie :)

Susan

August 19, 2013 at 2:42 pm

I feel the same way about my neglected blog. It takes courage to say goodbye. I have enjoyed all your posts, finding the commiseration of a fellow ED RN invaluable.
    Go play with your grand boy! Life’s rich pageant parades on! See you on Facebook!

Laura

August 19, 2013 at 3:07 pm

Noooooo!!!!!!!!
    Really sad to see you closing up shop but I get your reasons why…all very good reasons. Still I would have loved a rant about “the uselessness of electronic medical records (very sad realization, that), the feeling that as nurses advance their education, basic nursing care is being forgotten” as I spend waaayyy too much time trying to chart using Cerner and wondering why they never consulted with real live nurses when they created that program.
    Going to miss you lots. Please promise to talk a lot on twitter. One grandparent to another, I love tweets about the babies.

NPs Save Lives

August 19, 2013 at 3:31 pm

Wow Kim! Sorry to see you stop blogging though I figured it was happening due to the infrequency of your posts. I often have wondered about retiring mine as well. I am so happy that you included me in your ranks and I will keep up with you on Facebook.

Candy

August 19, 2013 at 3:52 pm

Lucky me — I get to share your (private) rants on FB, but not-so-lucky everyone else who will be wondering what your take on nursing news would be. I met you shortly after that first blog post and have been a fan ever since. I was thrilled when you picked UWGB, so excited for you when you graduated and had so much fun at ENA and ACNL with you! You can only stop blogging if you continue to share your very wise perspective in other places… I always knew the pull of Ewan was going to be much stronger than the pull of just about anything else, so when you and John get settled wherever and whenever you get settled, make sure you have an extra room for nurse lovers, nurse writers and nurse editors (or all three) to visit! I sure understand you about EMR/EHR (yuck — talk about non-intuitive), but I’d love to get deeper into your comment about advancing education and forgetting basic nursing care… Oh, hell, it’s not like I’m never going to see you again… Get yourself a little low carb beer and smile at all of us sobbing as you drive away :)

NewMexRN

August 19, 2013 at 4:03 pm

Wow, I’ve been reading you, it seems like forever. I loved Change of Shift and really miss it. It seems like all the great nurse-bloggers are moving on. But, hey, that’s life, isn’t it? Things are always changing. Best to you…sounds like you are in a good place!

Matt M

August 19, 2013 at 4:30 pm

It has been really enjoyable. I have only been reading you for six years, but those were great years. I hope that you have a fine career and keep your best friends close.

Brittney @ The Nerdy Nurse

August 19, 2013 at 4:47 pm

Kim,

Your presence in the nurse blogosphere will certainly be missed. Thanks for sending that special email that allowed me the opportunity to meet you and Terri. It’s one of my most fond memories and really helped me to grow in blogger.
    If you ever feel the urge the write again we’ll be ready to read it!

Brittney @ The Nerdy Nurse

August 19, 2013 at 4:50 pm

PS. If you ever need an EMR pep talk, call me! For that matter, if any nurse ever needs an EMR pep talk call me! I am sure that I can make you feel better about it and may be able to offer some tips to help you out. No nurse should dread using an EMR. It can do such wonderful things for you and your patients. :)

RehabRN

August 19, 2013 at 5:46 pm

Kim:

Thanks for sharing your world with the rest of us who only visit EDs as paying customers. :)

It was my pleasure to host Change of Shift, and what fun that was, with so many different voices in one spot.

I know you may not realize it now, but if EMR lets us tell the patient’s story, it is our job as nurses to make sure it gets told. (and no, I’m not an EMR evangelist…just a patient engagement one).

One of these days as some bigwig doc told me this year PATIENTS will sign off on that EMR note, because it will be a true collaboration.

Maybe not tomorrow, but that day will come.

I wish you only the best. Enjoy every minute of that grandbaby and all the races you can. You deserve it!

Come by anytime!

Terri Polick

August 19, 2013 at 5:56 pm

Oh sister, we did have a good ride. I’ll always remember the good times. See you on Facebook.

Tony Phipps

August 20, 2013 at 4:07 am

It was a great run and I enjoyed working together at the ENA Conference. Best of luck.

Tony Phipps
    formally of ENA

Shawn Kennedy

August 21, 2013 at 3:54 am

Kim, I’ve been missing your blog posts as you wound down.I enjoyed your “take” on the nursing and health care world. And I enjoyed meeting you when you spoke in San Francisco for the nurse editor meeting. If you get a yen to write, drop me a line. All the best!
    Shawn

Terri

August 22, 2013 at 1:54 pm

Kim – I was so saddened to read this, but completely understand. Your blog was one of the best reads on the web about nursing and always left me in deep consideration about the points you were making, always with a dose of humor. Thank you for your time, effort, and sharing your brain with us all of these years! Have fun in your new adventures!
    T

Nurse Gail

August 23, 2013 at 12:58 pm

As a pioneer nurse blogger you are an inspiration–thank you for paving the way.

nursing scrubs
Petite Scrubs
Petite Scrubs
Scrubs that fit!
Nursing Scrubs
and the rest of your medical uniforms you need from Scrubs Gallery.

RN Pocket Guide